• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cammell Laird - Tuesday 6th September

Rather enjoyable game tonight, with probably our best performance of the season so far. I know Lairds haven't won a game so far, but it was great to see us start on the front foot and maintain it throughout the first half. We looked like scoring every time we went forward. We had a field day down the wings and there were some lovely crosses being put into the box from Wellstead, Hind et al.

We did drop off the pace for the second half and did become a bit sloppy, but even then, Lairds only had one or two decent chances and we were generally solid at the back. The subs from Streety freshened things up and we went up a gear or two soon after and again looked threatening going forward. I'm glad I wasn't the one that had to pick MOTM, everyone played their part tonight and you could've made a case for any of them, apart from Greg, given he didn't have much to do!

Also, what an inspired substitution by Lairds to bring on a sub keeper as their first sub at 3-0 down. The mind boggles. The sub keeper did provide the fans plenty of laughs though!

Two big games coming up in West Dids and Linnets. A real message of intent if we get 6 points from them two.

See you Saturday!

Goal Cams

1-0
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2-0

3-0

4-0

5-0

:scarf:Great goal cam, goal line technology inconclusive on this occasion. Were they worse than darwen? Yes they were! Well done too the lads tonight most excellent. Will be big game Saturday against west didsbury and charlton probably bigger than linnets at this rate! Anyway keep it up, I am still living the dream!:scarf::scarf::scarf::redcard Oops:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

:scarf::scarf::scarf:Always find it strange how not as many people comment on an outstanding performance but do when we haven't played well anyway massive credit to the lads since the defeat we suffered at Squires Gate winning 4 and drawing one shows the team does have character long way to go of course but can't complain where we're sitting in the table right now so huge credit to Streety and the coaching staff 2 huge games ahead now against West and Linnetts bring them on!

Great performance from the whole team tonight.
Special mention too for the ref, showed how to manage the game without it being all about "me" unlike the helmet at Barlick on Saturday. If a word was needed he said it without halting play every few minutes just to be the star of the show.

Our second goal was probably our best ever in regards to a 'team goal'. Superb play down the right, it was a great move! Proved tonight when we get the ball down and play football is when we are at our best, more of the same please lads!

Always find it strange how not as many people comment on an outstanding performance but do when we haven't played well
Give us a chance Matthew!!
Excellent performance from the team last night. Could well have been more emphatic. Having said that they were a poor team. Can't believe they got good draws against Linnets and Maine Road. Some lovely football played especially for the second goal. Not really a game to choose a MoM so I'll go for the forward line, always creating space and Paul Connor!
See you Saturday

Really really enjoyed last night.
Solid from back to front and could have had a bag full.
Always said there was quality in this side and now they are starting to get to know each other.
Strange man of the match choice for me?!, but hey, everyone sees things differently.
Looking forward to sat. Those of you not attending.....don't know what your missing.
COYG.

Agreed with most of above but wanted to say a bit more about the ref and his assistants .
I am one of our worst ref baiters and should know better. At this level, like our players, they are basically amateurs and do it in their spare time. We could not have a game without them and so even the worst (Saturday) we should be grateful to. However, last night's were one of the best team of officials I remember at this level. His cards were used sparingly, he had two quick words with Paul Connors rather than being the star of the show. Not every decision was correct but they did everything to the best of their ability and helped to make it a great game to watch. Thanks, gentlemen.

Paul Connor man of the match for me. Outstanding in the first half, linking really well with Stu.
And despite switching off in the second half another couple of goals & a trial of 4-3-3 at the end.

Looks like the team is starting to gel, although the constant changing of centre halfs is a concern.

Thought we were excellent tonight particularly Connor, McGowan and Bailey. The pairing of Scott and Tom up front gives us a much better balance and allows both of them to feed off each other.One of the best things about it was the fact that we continued to try to score goals even after being 2-0 up so quickly. In previous seasons, we'd have stopped there and just coasted the rest of the game out, nice to see the team make a statement and be more ruthless even though they were a very very poor side.

Also, it was great to see us getting the ball on the deck and passing it out from the back and build up the play by keeping possession which was largely down to Mark Jones. We were calm with the ball and personally, I think against the lesser teams who don't offer much attacking threat, it could be an option to put Mark there as he was brilliant in helping pick the right ball that allowed everyone in front to create space and opportunities.

My only concern is that our bench looks a bit light apart from Rick Bailey and against the big teams when things can sometimes not go your way, it's a worry that we don't have enough quality to come on and make an impact.

Looking forward to two big games now against Disdbury and Linnets.

Agreed John - Mark Jones oozes quality and can play equally as well in midfield or at the back. Sometimes doing the simple things in a game gets missed but last night Mark broke attacks up & rarely wasted possession. He could also claim an assist for the last goal - maybe?
Understandably goal scorers very often get chosen as Man of the Match and we do look as though ours will get their fair share of rewards this season

Definitely - a Rolls Royce footballer.

Things starting to tick - and seven goals each for our forwards so far.

Well done to Rick and Paul for passing appearance milestones last night.

That first 20 mins was brilliant, some of the best weve ever played. Life of my cant understand why we went back to boring 4-3-3 at the end though?

That first 20 mins was brilliant, some of the best weve ever played. Life of my cant understand why we went back to boring 4-3-3 at the end though?
Game was won so makes sense to try different things out imo

Back