• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

BREXIT THE MOVIE

Lets hope May does not have the same mindset as Thatcher,if so God help us.The North will not be a Power House,but a Poor House.

Reactions: Ben
I think The North as long as the rest of the UK was a poor house before Thatcher.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ever-forget-the-chaos-of-life-before-her.html

"Thatcher’s government was the last in Britain to become a net repayer of national debt. Not for her the massive borrowing and deficits of Gordon Brown’s stewardship at the Treasury. Faced with similar burdens, the countries of southern Europe that have done least to introduce the market reforms she pioneered are the ones that are now in the deepest crisis. This is not a coincidence. Salvation does not lie in the return of militant trade unions, measures to raise the cost of hiring employees and crippling levels of tax and red tape.

Combine the reimposition of these millstones with a Britain locked into the euro that her opponents supported, and it is not hard to envisage a country ripe again for a State of Emergency."

David you have omitted,the reason we have a shortage of home grown tradesmen is down too her,also why we have too import most of our coal.She also used the police as her private army,helped to cover up several investigations her mates were involved in,and lets not forget a certain football disaster.Forgot the principle of free movement,letting the police stop people from moving from town to town.Turning communities into desperation and poverty.

Thank you toddy, I was going to add these things you mentioned myself for a sense of balance but I don't need to now ;)

Yes, the Thatcher Government transformed our economy from being known as 'The sick man of Europe' to the economy that we all enjoy today. However, this came at a great cost (as you have highlighted above) and the question is did the ends justify the means or would we have been better to have remained as we were?

Many people have different opinions on this and no one is wrong or right.

Thanks for your reply David,I have my opinion of her which will never alter.The thing's that stick in my mind from those times are the police taunting the striking miners about the money they were earning while they were battering them with truncheons(I lot of those police had been bused in from down south) that and a lot of other things is why the country is so divided today.I can remember a certain comic on the T.V.(I will not name him,he's probably embarrassed by it now) dressed as a stockbroker waving about handful's of money and shouting loads and loads of money,any benefit's from that time never came to the working man,so if you ask me was it worth it my answer is no,the harm it did out did the good.One Question I will ask now we are out of the E.U.have we got the manufacturing base that we had before Thatcher which we had in our glory days.

My memory of then is that it was a period which created divisions in society which have not healed to this day, and also it was the birth of the era where too many people started thinking primarily of self (and then secondly of self).

A chilling quote: " ... there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families ... and people must look to themselves first."

Who will ever forget Tebbit's if you want work get on your bike(would he have biked from the northern mining towns to the south every day).Just look at some of the people knighted in that era.

PS. I see Labour have done the democratic thing and let Corbyn defend his position. Probably right from their constitution, but possibly an electoral disaster in the making.
I really don't think those waiting in the wings are any better, namely Owen Smith and Angela Eagle. On Sunday Politics, Eagle was asked by Andrew Neil to name a single policy area where she differed to Corbyn other than trident. She could not answer this simple question. There isn't much hope on this evidence if she's the best candidate the Blairite's can muster.

Eagle is left of centre within the Labour Parliamentary ranks. She's not the best candidate for the job within the current batch of MPs, I agree, but she is someone prepared to stick her head above the parapet at this stage and someone capable of making an attempt at healing the rift while at the same time speaking up for the opposition. What's the slogan? Standing up not standing by? Once you've stood up you need to speak up. I also think we need to abandon the concept of "Blairite" by now (which I imagine Angela Eagle would find a bit insulting to her views) and try focusing on the concept of "Labour". Remember the Jo Cox more that unites than divides quotation? If there are few policy differences, that is a good thing - but to put the policies into practice you need to have a chance of power, not be content with being a softly-spoken protest movement. Now if jeremy Corbyn were Tony Benn, that would be a different kettle of fish. He would have ripped the government to shreds by now.

Another quote:
"Ask the powerful five questions - What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? How can we get rid of you? Only democracy gives us that"
(But I would have disagreed with him on the EU)

Back