• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Ashton game

Can't argue with any of the above.
It was clear from very earlier on we were being over run in the middle so I don't understand why we made no attempt to change the formation.

Well done Paul and Ryan, great spirit shown last night.

Thought their centre back was outstanding and marshalled them tremendously well.

The less said about the remaining performance the better really.

A side that is conceding close on 2 goals a game isn't going to win the league!! We desperately need a decent centre half who organises the back four, a replacement for chappell who bosses the mid field... We will score goals but can't keep conceding at the rate we are that's for sure!!!

I would say we need a couple of centre backs and a couple of central midfielders, we look like we will struggle to scrape top 6 this year, other teams are showing us how to do it.

I would say we need a couple more seasons in this league before even contemplating promotion. We can all have ambition but don't get carried away, don't let it cloud our aims and objectives of 'fan owned'.
Financially stable and sustainable.

Is it just a coincidence that our fraility at the back has coincided with the loss of Lee Duckworth from the field but more importantly from our training sessions?

I'd say we were missing Mitch at the back

Reactions: pdw
Mitch was probably are most consistent defender, so he's being missed.. I generally feel on the pitch we are very quite and lack talkers and motivates.
I agree with Tony that we are still obviously a young developing club but we've seen with Ryan there is young local talent out there that the club needs to attract.. difficult league to win but last year showed what we are capable of.

Is it just a coincidence that our fraility at the back has coincided with the loss of Lee Duckworth from the field but more importantly from our training sessions?
Don't really think this is the case Stephen. The loss of Ryan Mitchell and earlier Dilan Lomas has been a big blow. Don't think Dilan has been near his best form that he showed at the end of last season but perhaps he came back too soon? Also the left back position has been weak. Having said that the lack of protection in the last few games has been a huge factor. Earlier in the season I thought the opposite, as I thought Wooley, Chapple and Kirk were far too deep and not supporting the forwards enough.

Midfield is a fine line I know, but I do feel it is one that we need to resolve quickly. They need to support the forwards and protect the defence.

Having voted for MVB for player of the month, I thought last night he was below par and the game passed him by. The move away from the centre forward position is good for the team as we don't just lump it up in the air but I do feel he should be up with Beadle possibly on the right like at Liverpool where it worked a dream.

Matty Ward showed some good touches when he came on last night which was encouraging.

I still feel we have enough good players to do well in this league. Perhaps with just one or two additions and letting one or two go we can rise again.

Mitch is a major loss but I think losing Chappie in midfield is causing massive problems and a huge hole down the middle, He was everywhere an we really could do with replacing him as the defence needs more midfield protection.

I would say we need a couple more seasons in this league before even contemplating promotion. We can all have ambition but don't get carried away, don't let it cloud our aims and objectives of 'fan owned'.
Financially stable and sustainable.

Another good reason is the mooted change in structure of the Evostick league possibly changing from two leagues at Div 1 level to three with west, central and east being the divide instead of North and South which would make a lot more sense travel link wise and would save clubs so much money in expenses (not that some are worried about that!)

Absolutely agree Phil. I actually found Chappie frustrating to watch at times as he wanted to be everywhere - don't think he was often enough the player for us that I was expecting - but we've lost a big influence there and we're suffering. Honestly - think he let his teammates down a bit to be frank. Along with Ducky we have lost two massive charachters, not just on the pitch but I bet in the dressing room too.

The opening of this season might have just brought a bit of reality to the level we are at. Probably stagnated rather than taken a backwards step. That said, not convinced the team are moving in the right direction currently. Bit of a blame culture and finger pointing. Commitment not in question but a genuine lack of leadership and team spirit.

Not sure morale was helped with going public on issuing seven day notice on four players. Backing it up with one(?) signing kind of gives doubts over pulling power? Strange one though, Tuesday – always felt we could pinch a goal but thought we got off lightly in the end. Positive or frustrated, I do think it is important that we share our views to keep interest ticking over.

I recently sponsored a matchday (really good experience if anyone is thinking of going for it), but I was surprised at just how many people were putting a shift in that afternoon to make a game of football a reality (would be up for helping out in anyway if needed?). There cant be many teams in the whole non-league pyramid with as many volunteers as our club? But totally convinced that there are enough people wanting it to happen - and pulling in the right direction - that will ensure a four-nil stuffing is a rarity.

Lets have a good day in Blackpool

Last edited:
Given what everyone has previously said re the constant changes to the starting XI (most of them enforced it has to be said) being a big part in our inconsistent start to the season, Tuesday's game was actually the first this season when the starting XI was the same as the previous game - but we ended up on the end of a 4-0 drubbing! Explain that one, eh?

We're not the best team in the league & we're not the worst.

We need to find a system that fits the players we have or bring fresh ones in. Just because we have good forwards doesn't mean we have to play them all.
Like Ash I'm surprised that we put 7 days in for 4 players and the only new signing was Stu Wellstead.

We need a box to box midfielder & a ball winner in midfield. At times the other night it was like we were playing a 6-0-4 formation.

But it's still early in the season and everyone seems to be capable of beating everyone else on their day.

I was wondering about that, what happened to the four players he's put notice in for?

We've been light in mid field all season, we've had injury problems all season, so 2 months in to the season and no one has really been brought in...

The system we played on Tuesday was 4-4-2 but ended up like 4-2-4 due to Wellstead and Ryan Jackson playing very close to the front 2. It left Woolley and McNichol very exposed to their 5 in midfield and it made it easy to keep the ball, hence why we hardly created anything. Barcelona would of been proud of the possession figure.

Also, I.M.O Mitch was our best defender last season, could also go as far to say he was our best player throughout!

Last edited:
Is there any way the club could tell us who else was approached? Did we try to bring anyone else back? Sakeel maybe?

Agreed Ash we need some big characters on the pitch sooner

Interesting stat atticus as I was one moaning, maybe we all got it wrong.

I do not think it is productive or fair on the manager, our players or those approached to say who those we targeted with 7 days notice actually are. It may be a bit frustrating for those of an inquisitive nature not to know but I am sure we will get over it!

Back