• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

A statement by the witton chairman:

Blackie

Too much time on my hands
Aug 5, 2013
Copied from the wi**on forum:

As usual, the rumour mill has been working overtime with a lot of wildly inaccurate speculation about what may, or may not happen with 1874 Northwich next season.

Firstly, as I said at November’s supporters meeting, Witton Albion needs a groundshare partner. These arrangements work; they bring in rental income, additional bar and catering income. This income directly impacts the quality of player we are able to afford, and thereafter on our league position.

1874 is one of a few parties with whom we are discussing a possible groundshare from next season. However, and as with previous arrangements with Northwich Vics and Runcorn Linnets before that, any deal must work commercially. We know what it costs to run this stadium and need to make a sensible profit on top of that from any rental agreement. However, any groundshare agreement must work for both parties. Master/slave relationships never go the distance.

Having successfully staged Sunday’s FA Vase game between 1874 and Pontefract, 1874 have asked us to stage their next FA Vase tie. This takes place when Witton are away so the stadium is available. Unlike the Pontefract game, which was a gesture of goodwill to, and mark of respect for 1874’s late chairman Paul Stockton (although we did receive a fee) any future games would be on a commercial basis.

The groundshare agreement currently in place is for a 28-day period. Should 1874 wish to use our facilities for future games this season that would be subject to commercial terms being agreed and an additional 28-day groundshare agreement being put in place. Staging their games when this stadium is available helps both Witton Albion and 1874 Northwich.

We are NOT about to sell any part of Wincham Park to 1874 Northwich or any other 3rd party. When last valued the ground was worth well over £2m, and the board regards this as the family silver. The value of any equity stake is based on a current valuation, so talk of £375,000 buying a 50% stake is total rubbish. A half share in the asset would cost anyone over £1m.

If at any point the directors did wish to recommend such a move, (which we do not), then the decision would be for shareholders and shareholders alone to take. A conventional groundshare agreement would be the decision of the board, as it has been in the past.

As a club we need to expand our facilities to create the seven day a week usage critical to sustainability. One way in which to do this would be to install a 4G pitch. This would enable the surface to be used by the community and to meet the criteria set for the new 150 community hub projects announced by the FA this week.

If we had such a facilty, we would plan for 40 hours per week of revenue-generating activity on the pitch including Saturday mornings. To see what can be achieved, just look at how far Hyde and Basford United have travelled in a short period of time.

Our car park is not big enough for a full size artificial turf pitch (ATP) which is needed if the true revenue potential is to be realised. As they cost between £300,000 – 500,000 to install, we do not have the resources to do so, even with the maximum 50% grant funding available from the Football Stadia Improvement Fund. You can buy them cheaper but, as Sutton Coldfield will tell you, that is false economy.

It makes business sense to evaluate every available option to realise such an ambition including a joint venture with other parties to develop new, additional facilities in which a funding partner would have a financial stake. That model is not the same as handing over a share of the equity in Wincham Park. 1874 Northwich is not the only partner with whom we might achieve this objective and not the only party with whom we are having talks right now.

However that is for the future. Right now we are exploring possible groundshare partnerships of which 1874 is one. We may stage further games this season. If we do agree any deal for next season, that agreement must be ratified by the NPL by 31st March. As and when there’s more to tell you, we will.

In the meantime, if you want to know the in’s and out’s, just come and ask me. I’m really quite approachable you know!

Quick Question if you hate witton like you say you do why oh why have you got this of witton,s forum
just asking

Apologies Nick I have been proved wrong, Comment withdrawn..

Last edited:
Quick Question if you hate witton like you say you do why oh why have you got this of witton,s forum
just asking
A wi**on friend told me of it, its relevant, so i copied and pasted it because, regardless of how i feel for wi**on, its information...i thought its relevance was obvious....but obviously, for some, its not o_O....just saying!.

Reactions: pdw
There is clear relevance to 1874 and therefore from a moderator's perspective I see absolutely no reason to move it! I am sure it will generate a few comments.
And as for the copy/paste approach - why would we want to include a hyperlink redirecting traffic to the WA forum? (and that appears to have been a very astute move ;))

Seems that what COULD be offered based on the statement would be a rental deal, if this were so then the Committee know the view of many 74 ers.

Whilst we are not desperate for a move WA are for funds !!, Need to wait out and see what occurs, if not acceptable for us then concentrate on the obvious.

At the end of the day if our negotiators decide that Witton is not suitable for us then so be it.
I agree with Les and although it is supposedly addressed to the Witton fans it is actually for 1874 but we have time on our side.

Last edited:
Looks like panic has set in at witton! Nice of him to make so much of their financial details public. I bet our board know a lot more than that about the desperate financial mess they’re in.

Last edited:
Its not about panic. Its about setting a stall out to achieve an objective to be the best that (in this case) Witton can be whilst having the means to support the team at that level. The same objectives apply to 1874. As Mark states a ground share must work for both parties otherwise it will not last and that's what any discussion would seek to achieve. The statement also seeks to clarify the responsibilities that the WAFC board have to the WAFC shareholders. Its not a straight forward option to sell a half share in Wincham Park to anyone else irrespective of the price. So in summary, nothing has changed. WAFC and 1874 have discussions about a long term relationship that would be beneficial to both clubs.

Last edited:
Be interesting to know when the last valuation was undertaken and if this was reasonably recently as the Legal Charge over WP was taken in 2003 and I would hope he's referring to one more recent than that.
I'd suspect that valuation would have been when there was demand for housing around/on WP which has now diminished (if my memory serves me right) so would that have had an impact on the valuation?

Last edited:
In my opinion, there are people on both sides, too worried about a deal benefitting the other side, rather than what potential it can bring to their respective club.

If the deal is good for 1874, I’m all too happy to go for it, even if it also benefits WAFC.

At the end of the day, having two thriving clubs in town is better than having two clubs just floating along.

Last edited:
Well I've seen your latest filed accounts and they don't make good reading. They also show that your chairman is quoting figures that are at variance with your accounts.

Accounts asset value is essentially nominal. Current market value can differ wildly. Whether market value is based on a realistic recent valuation or can ever be achieved is debatable.

When last valued the ground was worth well over £2m, and the board regards this as the family silver. The value of any equity stake is based on a current valuation, so talk of £375,000 buying a 50% stake is total rubbish. A half share in the asset would cost anyone over £1m.

There's a lot you can pick at in that statement, but this is the easiest of the lot. The VS sold for around £500k, a higher graded facility. Their stadium may once have been worth that to a house builder, but now Thor have bought all their surrounding land, the only use for it as something other than a football ground is industrial.

Interestingly there is very little or no comment on the Witton website about their Chairman's statement which I find surprising.

Back