• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

A statement by the witton chairman:

But the VS was a forced sale with no value being attached to the playing surface,stadium, car parks or adjoining buildings. So we are not comparing like with like. Just assuming both clubs want to survive and wanted to build a ground of equivalent sporting value and scale to Wincham Park, then a £500K provision would not come close. The asset value of WP has also probably been heavily depreciated over the past 25 years in line with accounting standards, whereas we all know in reality asset values have increased. I wouldn't read too much into the numbers without understanding what really sits behind them. If you really think that £500K would buy you an equivalent ground to WP I look forward to seeing the results of your endeavours.

But the VS was a forced sale with no value being attached to the playing surface,stadium, car parks or adjoining buildings. So we are not comparing like with like. Just assuming both clubs want to survive and wanted to build a ground of equivalent sporting value and scale to Wincham Park, then a £500K provision would not come close. The asset value of WP has also probably been heavily depreciated over the past 25 years in line with accounting standards, whereas we all know in reality asset values have increased. I wouldn't read too much into the numbers without understanding what really sits behind them. If you really think that £500K would buy you an equivalent ground to WP I look forward to seeing the results of your endeavours.

I agree with most of that. A couple of things though. When initially put on the market, the VS was valued at £1.2m eventually selling for £500k. Wittons own books list under £800k as fixed assets. The biggest depreciation in value to WP has come from the lands inability to build houses, not from physical degradation of facilities. It was always worth more as housing land than as a sports facility.

As already said, market value is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sitting at a computer with an asset value over 1K but nobody would ever give me that for it.

The land adjacent to Wincham Park still has planning for houses, Thor have bought land from Wincham Park to their own boundary and the Roberts land, however the land away from Wincham Park to Ayres Pit/Warrington road is still planned to have houses on it and things are developing now so we still sit in a planned housing areas ! so the values currently of Circa £2.4m are realistic and will of course increase if we are involved in a sale for housing. The VS was never going to be a potential housing area hence its low brownfield site value - You will not be buying into Wincham Park cheaply so please do not get your hopes up, you could be Tenants if both parties wish to and can reach agreement.

Maybe CJ or someone else from t'other side would like to explain why the statement appeared then disappeared? Doesn't seem to have been a particularly well-thought-out move.

Why don't we wait until the relevant facts are disclosed by the board to us,if there is anything to tell I'm sure we will be informed when the time is right.

My own view, and that of many 74ers, is to keep away from any "tie up" with WA but to develop St Luke's, Barton Stadium to the standard required. The "Playing in Northwich" scenerio is not the "be all" that of in some areas, we have a great successful club with money in the bank and no debts, whereas WA have no debts and NO money in the bank and are financially struggling, I know which situation I prefer !!.

Maybe CJ or someone else from t'other side would like to explain why the statement appeared then disappeared? Doesn't seem to have been a particularly well-thought-out move.
No Idea Sorry maybe Mark wants take away or add something to the post but its nothing He hasnt already stated.

No Idea Sorry maybe Mark wants take away or add something to the post but its nothing He hasnt already stated.

By the looks of it, he wanted to remove it all and so he or someone else did. Very odd.

Why don't we wait until the relevant facts are disclosed by the board to us,if there is anything to tell I'm sure we will be informed when the time is right.

Nail on the head there Toddy. When our Board have information they want to disclose or discuss with the club members i’m sure they will communicate it in the appropriate way, themselves.

The asset value as in WAFC accounts has never been increased/decreased to reflect the value of land for housing. It is merely the original asset value at the time of the move from the central ground, depreciated in line with accounting standards. As Alan M says the value is in the eye of the beholder and depends on the sale or valuation basis, but the the bottom line is you couldn't build a ground like WP with the same facilities for £500K and its also an irrelevant argument as its not up for sale.

There are two separate arguments in play here. They are are not related and both irrelevant as WP is not up for sale. However, I would expect either of these basis would value WP above its current book value.The first is the value of WP as a sporting facility should WAFC wish to sell a part share (which they don't) which could be based on how much it would cost to replicate WP elsewhere in the town. The second is the value of WP as a housing site with value being used to provide a possible replacement which developers have so far failed to provide ( i presume because the costs involved are significantly higher than the value of WP as a development site).

Hence the current position is that WAFC are staying where they are and looking to maximise the use of WP to provide additional revenue streams. Part of those discussions involve 1874. So (more or less) we are back where we started and nothing has changed.

My own view, and that of many 74ers, is to keep away from any "tie up" with WA but to develop St Luke's, Barton Stadium to the standard required. The "Playing in Northwich" scenerio is not the "be all" that of in some areas, we have a great successful club with money in the bank and no debts, whereas WA have no debts and NO money in the bank and are financially struggling, I know which situation I prefer !!.

Winsford isn't the answer for us long term, but I don't think WP is either. I would have enjoyed Sunday as much at Winsford as I did at WP - most people have to drive to both anyway.

Define "long-term". I think we are considering medium-term options first of all. To me that means the next 4-5 years.

It has made me think who the other parties Witton are talking to are to be honest...

It has made me think who the other parties Witton are talking to are to be honest...
I very much doubt JGFC are back in the mix but with the Wilkes trio funding their budget you never know. Could be a reserve side or an academy.

We can debate all we want about what we want as seperate clubs.
As a Wittoner we have what you desire which is a first class facicilty within Northwich.
I have said before I admire you as a club for what you have done but I believe without each other and working together the future of both clubs is weak.
The future of non league football that we all have loved for years gone by is not strong for circumstances beyond our control and for future of the special non league rivalry within Northwich I hope we can explore all avenues

We can debate all we want about what we want as seperate clubs.
As a Wittoner we have what you desire which is a first class facicilty within Northwich.
I have said before I admire you as a club for what you have done but I believe without each other and working together the future of both clubs is weak.
The future of non league football that we all have loved for years gone by is not strong for circumstances beyond our control and for future of the special non league rivalry within Northwich I hope we can explore all avenues

I have to agree, the local non-league scene in the area is not as well supported now as it was even as recently as when Vics were at the VS - BT and SKY, amongst others are to blame for that. Neither club is going to get stronger on their own and there does need to be serious consideration about working together in one guise or another. It is important though that any discussion does take within the realms of realism. Albion (understandably) want to see some financial gain for the use of WP; 1874 want (understandably) to ensure that their books will balance and that their bottom line is also protected. An amicable meeting of the minds is now required. If that doesn’t happen both clubs can continue to roll the dice; who knows one may throw a double six and climb the ladder or alternatively they both might slide down the proverbial snake. ;)

Back