• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 v Nelson

SteveR

I Live Here
1874 Official
Jul 31, 2013
Despite today's result, I thought that the balance of the team seemed much better. The changes in midfield worked well, and we controlled the game for long periods. Watching the opposition bench it is obvious that teams coming to play us are well hyped up, we are seen as a big scalp. When we are able to field a full strength side, following the holiday period I firmly believe that results will come. Remember this is a new journey for all of us, supporters and players alike. Keep the faith, we will prevail.

We should have won without doubt today these teams are scoring goals from hardly any chances, Think we revert to the long ball far to easily but look good when we work it on the floor.
How they scored twice second half is beyond me.
Great crowd with virtually nobody from Nelson, Just hope we can get a result on Wednesday.

Despite today's result, I thought that the balance of the team seemed much better. The changes in midfield worked well, and we controlled the game for long periods. Watching the opposition bench it is obvious that teams coming to play us are well hyped up, we are seen as a big scalp. When we are able to field a full strength side, following the holiday period I firmly believe that results will come. Remember this is a new journey for all of us, supporters and players alike. Keep the faith, we will prevail.

Couldn't agree more, Daisy Hill we won, maybe didn't deserve to, today midfield were much better and even though we lost we played much more as a team and I am not too down hearted. We cannot epect to roll sides over just because we get the biggest gate in the league, twice as big as our once beloved team and only just less than a Conference National side. Funny moment on the terraces, when Nelson's manager threw his note book down and got stick from behind the dugout to pick his litter up. Only to get a round of applause after a couple of minutes when he decided to be the good guy and pick it up. Banter like that is what non league football is all about.

Could not agree more Brian. I have been standing just by the opposition bench and the banter between it and the supporters has been lively but friendly at all games. Results will come, but for now the smiles on supporters faces are priceless. Its great to feel involved and appreciated by the club.

Poor at the back.

We were in another class when we kept the ball on the floor, however.

We are playing like more of a team but keep missing chances, other teams only seem to get a couple of opportunities against us but take them. I think the squad needs further strengthening if we are going to be anything other than mid-table. It's vital we win the next couple of matches or I feel the bubble will burst and people will lose interest.

We controlled the game for long periods but really needed that second goal. When they scored against the run of play it seemed to knock us and we lost our way a little by reverting to long balls and giving possession away too easily, Thought midfield were stronger through and was impressed with Rick Bailey, added some steel and took his goal well.

Keep the faith, the management team have already shown they are not afraid to make changes. See you at Cheadle on Wednesday for the next exciting episode in the story of OUR club.

P.S. Would like to see Paul Bowyer getting some game time.

Poor at the back.

We were in another class when we kept the ball on the floor, however.

Say's it all, to much long ball play, excellent play on the ground. First half far the better team, what happened in the second is beyond me to comment on, better things to come I know. !!

All in all a disapointing end to another good game. How did we lose?

We need to take our chances when we are on top as teams are punishing us for lack of concentration at the back. I do think our defence has good players but they need to concentrate at all times, especially at set plays. We are ball watching and not organised to mark players. They need Peter
Schmeichel behind them to scream at them. Maybe Conkie should return?? Adam did well last week, however looked a bit suspect yesterday.

Agree with the comments above that the midfield looked a lot better balanced. Foy, Stewart and Bailey worked well together but with the two wingers Brandon is isolated. We need to get closer to him and perhaps change to two up front and four in midfield. Again Phil flattered to deceive and Lee Hendley needs to look up sometimes rather than keep his head down.

We will win more than we lose so certainly not panicking on one defeat. Another great day out with friends!! and great attendance again.

And just to clear up, 'was it, was it not' (hope the link works!)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

All the best to Nelson, really nice people that travelled down, they came and did the job.

It has been great to read about footballing comments, about the banter on the terraces etc. Many people have summed it up, yesterday was our fourth game (yes I haven't counted the friendlies) and we need to settle our squad. Brian is right, we are blessed with fantastic support, but that doesn't mean that we have a divine right to win everything. With all due respect, we are the new boys with a fair amount of hype surrounding us and therefore we are there to be 'shot down'.

It was another first out of the way, first defeat and first at home. We bounce back!

I for one, am thrilled with it all

Only my 2nd game yesterday following the opening game from Oldham. Still hugely impressed with what has been put together, credit to everyone involved, brill to talk football again, brought my son yesterday and he has ditched playing for utd to be a green now in his future career, not sure he will make me as much money then....

In my opinion the team has deserved to win both games comfortably. Creating 4/5 times more chances than the 2 opposing teams.

The keeper yesterday isn't as strong as the one from the Oldham game and that was clear to tell (sorry I don't know names yet).

Defence looks strong with 4 very good players, good centre back partnership and 2 full backs who like to get forward.

Midfield yesterday looked more cohesive, the 8 was very impressive and the 10 worked himself tirelessly, was he left back v Oldham? (If so, definitely a midfielder not a left back). Captain was steady in the middle of the pitch.

Big number 9 is a Rickies lambert type. Still not sold on the right winger, the left winger has had 2 contrasting games.

The team looks defunct of confidence in the final areas of the pitch, often opting to pass the buck of shooting or trying to be too precise. Maybe a 2nd striker is something for the management to consider.

I'm sure it will come together.

In a way it's so good to have a feeling of genuine disappointment at a result and not just because of how the club is run!

Reactions: Tez
High (or low) lights here, courtesy of Nelson ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hello, I am a new member to your forum and have managed to attend all of the games so far. We had enough chances to finish the game of by half time and were the better side. May be an additional striker, but keep the current squad, we don't want knee jerk reactions if we lose, the squad is strong with a lot of potential.

The support is great and I think it will grow, results will come, but as was said earlier everybody is out to beat us, but for a new team two draws, a win and a defeat is not bad.

Keeper was good in spells but last week kept us in it, only a young lad, Strikers look the part, just need to be clinical, midfield and defence seem to work well but we do tend to flap in spells, again nothing serious. At the start of the season I got Nelson down as one of the better teams, and from my experience these teams score against the flow of play.

Four points from the next two games will be good, would like six!

I agree with most of what's been said above. I think our lads are trying too hard to please and having so many fans is probably putting too much pressure on them. That said I think they will acclimatise soon and the results will come. What we could do with is to play NFV away and have a nice easy goal spree to settle the nerves!
Wrt the phantom goal I must say having seen the video it probably was a goal. What astounds me tho is how the ref could possibly have thought that the linesman was in any position to judge it. Also if as I think happened the ball went into the net and out through a gap in the back why on earth didn't he go and examine the net and if he found a hole get It repaired before allowing play to continue. No premier league ref would have allowed that I happen!!

That's probably why he's an NWCL ref!
I think we have to accept we are not going to get Cheshire's answer to Pierluigi Collina gracing the Barton Stadium. ;)

Nelson actually had far more chances (in the first half alone) than people are giving them justice. If they keep yesterday's forward line on their books for the remainder of the season, they will be well up there.

Poor defensively, yes - totally agree. Shipping low quality goals for fun.

Glad to see that the manager has strengthened the midfield, replacing 8 & 10. Finally a bit of quality in the ranks via Rick Bailey. Fingers crossed the injury he sustained wont keep him out long.

Ian - if you want my next piece of advice... Get a leader at the back. Then, a goalscorer.

Back