• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 v Nelson

Think you were watching a different match unless you have a hidden agenda tinpot.

From what I've seen of the 9 up top I think he score plenty for the team this yr.

Put a regular keeper behind that back 4 and I think it wouldn't of conceded yesterday.

Is it true the 2 forwards for them only played that game?

Just a rumour round the stand yesterday, if so its a very good sign of the respect our club is demanding!

In fact if you look at the you tube clips on here the team creates far more chances then nelson even with the nelson edit. Nelson are restricted to long crosses into the box (which should easily be dealt with by the keeper IMO) where as 1874 have a number of clear goal scoring chances that go wide or their keeper makes good saves from.

The difference between the two - quality of finishing / goal-keeping.

Enough of the negativity, we should be supporting our players and helping them.

Good luck Wednesday, ill be there with scarf held high!

Thought we were extremely unlucky to lose that game yesterday - a harsh score line against a team that will be up there come the end of the season.

The lads dominated the match for long periods, created the better chances, and played some decent football.

We let ourselves down in the final third and defensively, but still probably our best performance this season.

I would like to see Matt Conkie back asap and like others have Brandon playing alongside another forward.

Overall, I still think we have a great bunch of lads and the results will come shortly. We all just need to get behind them at Cheadle now.

Saturday's was my first league game. If I'm being honest I was a little underwhelmed by the performance at the time. Once we went 2-1 down, at no point did I think we had what was needed to get back on level terms - nowhere near enough creativity - just plenty of hitting it way too hard in a strong wind.

On reflection, and having seen the game highlights, then maybe I was being a little harsh. I spent last season watching Southern Premier League football (with players on substantial wages) and so that has been my most recent benchmark - it's easy to forget the level at which 1874 are playing. I suppose my main concern is, whilst we (well me anyway) may forget occasionally, that the players don't. They should forget trying to play fancy football at the back though, get it out of danger first and then start playing! Too many heart in mouth moments on Saturday.

I agree with comments about Rick Bailey - I can't comment as to whether or not he has made a difference but in absolute terms he certainly seems like a good "signing". Shame that it looks like he may be missing for a few weeks with the injury sustained on Saturday. He reminded me a little bit of Michael Carr - at least in his approach to the game.

I also agree that Conkie back in goal should make a difference. We conceded from two completely unchallenged headers (Peter Wright is hardly a giant). From what I've seen, Conkie commands his area with much more authority and I think can provide the organisation needed, at least from set pieces. Three really soft goals on Saturday. If we're going to lose, let's make the opposition work hard for their victory.

As for Ritchie Allan...if he really was just signed for the game, then Nelson needn't have wasted their time. His only contribution I can recall was to kick the ball into touch deep in our half rather than back to Leake after the ref stopped the game with 1874 in possession. I guess that's what you pick-up in the professional game.

Anyhoos. Hopefully the lads can pick themselves up for Cheadle. To be honest I think that, just like the first win got a monkey off their back, then so should the first defeat. It was going to happen. They lost, nobody died.

Finally, Saturday was also my first visit - ever - to the Barton Stadium. Well done to all the people who gave up their weekends to help spruce it up. I was really impressed with how it looked and it was great to the see the sidelines full, end-to-end, with fans; a big proportion of them wearing or waving some sort of 1874 merchandise. I'm sure I can remember some people saying we'd be playing on roped-off pitches in front of one man and his dog. Strange that. :rolleyes:

My 2p

We need someone up front alongside Brandon. McGregor is very capable of playing that role, but not in the current formation. We need 2 wingers and 2 forwards. 4-3-3 is not working as Brandon is left isolated and when knocking the ball on from all the long balls the defense are lumping up, there's no one near him as the other two 'strikers' are out on the wings.
We have the right players to blitz the league, we just need a plan B in the formation department.

We are playing like more of a team but keep missing chances, other teams only seem to get a couple of opportunities against us but take them. I think the squad needs further strengthening if we are going to be anything other than mid-table. It's vital we win the next couple of matches or I feel the bubble will burst and people will lose interest.

While I agree that a couple of wins are vital in maintaining a feelgood factor, I have to disagree that people will necessarily lose interest (in the short term at least). Certainly we may see a few more drop off in time, but I think the hardcore (300-350 perhaps?) are in it for the long haul now. Like many others I expect, I saw faces last Saturday I haven't seen in years; those same fans have followed the green half of town previously, during the bad and occasionally good seasons and most have probably only been missing during the Connett/Rushe era. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that the fans we have now want to believe in the club and trust in what it's doing. Sure we'd like to see a win or two, but I get the feeling most are sold on the bigger picture now.

I agree with Tez. I think most of our fans are bought into what we are trying to achieve. Expectations will vary, however this is the start of a very long jouney with all its highs and lows. Over time the highs and lows smooth out and the big picture is the establishment of a club with long term sustainability.

Over the years we have seen lots of wins and defeats, games when we were tremendous and games when we were rubbish, great players and poor players. When we look back in 20 - 50 years time we will be able to say the same for '74. Sticking with it gets us to that position.

Looking forward to Cheadle.

Tez I agree with you,it's been a long time since I and other fans, I believe,have a club to be proud of.We all want the team to do well,but we must remember Rome was not built in a day,with the fans keeping the faith I'm sure we will get there.

Agree, Tez. To me the most significant indicator of this was the huge number of people wearing 1874 colours/merchandise. I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised by this on my visit. And no long-suffering Northwich fan is going to be put off by the odd on-field setback.

I wasn't trying to be negative, I think at the moment we have probably got a few floating fans, or people testing the water that's all. It's the nature of football that people want to see a winning team. Our attendances will probably even off around the 250-300 mark...which I still think is an incredible achievement and beyond my expectations when 1874 was launched. It's also worth pointing out that we have better attendances than a number of Conference North and South teams! However, just because we are a community club, I don't think the team should be above a bit of constructive criticism now and then.

I wasn't trying to be negative, I think at the moment we have probably got a few floating fans, or people testing the water that's all. It's the nature of football that people want to see a winning team. Our attendances will probably even off around the 250-300 mark...which I still think is an incredible achievement and beyond my expectations when 1874 was launched. It's also worth pointing out that we have better attendances than a number of Conference North and South teams! However, just because we are a community club, I don't think the team should be above a bit of constructive criticism now and then.

Not taken as a negative viewpoint Kit, just a different opinion. Bottom line is none of us know for absolute certainty which way this thing will roll in future. Attendances will be results based to some extent of course, but I just get the feeling that we might be only looking at slightly above a solid core at present, with the inevitable plateau still being above the budgeted predictions, regardless of how we fare. That said, a few thumping wins wouldn't go amiss ;) :scarf:

Good luck tonight, but if things do not go to plan lets lay of the players, I read negative about midfield, defence, strikers, the goalkeeper everybody bar the pie sellers! And management no more public hairdryer treatment re Daisy Hill, I do fear that players could even start to walk before they are even told to. Support the team also means on the forum. Good luck tonight lads, I will be there giving my support.

Must give my tupance worth.

Difference in the 2 teams - strikers and goalkeeper. Our goaly made mistakes, theres did not.

Back