• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

vs Nelson

Unfortunately the best team (+Referee) Won, We had to be on our top form to win this but we got hammered hard in the first 9 mins, we then had a long uphill struggle but we couldnt show our best, Against other teams it would of been enough unfortunately Nelson are not one of those others. On our day we can beat anyone but it wasn't our day, hope we can bounce back from this.

Disappointing as the result seems, we are only just into December. Plenty of games to be won, drawn or lost for all the clubs chasing promotion. As Trevor says, we need to bounce back ;) :scarf:

just got back from game ref was appaling we should have had a penalty in the first minute before they scored there first goal first half was about even i say 2nd half we couldnt get going at all

Nelson fan in peace here, promises to be an absolute cracker this. You'll have noticed we've signed 2 today who are good players to replace the suspended 2 we have. How many will be travelling up from your end? I'd expect our biggest turnout, probably 100+ Nelson fans

Where were the 100 plus Nelson fans?

The ref was shocking as was the linesman on the stand side first half, we didn't create enough to trouble them, They look good going forward and dodgy at back. as for 100 nelson fans try about 30 tops.
we needed to play wider as they won everything in the air.

I thought they were the Executive Boxes?

Disappointing performance for 150 Northwich fans that made the trip. We just weren't on top form like we have been recently. The less said about the ref the better.

Certainly wasn't a better pitch than Eccleshall.

Hanley is a must win now.

Reactions: Ben
First of all a great following from the 1874 supporters which created a great atmosphere. Really enjoyed the game if not the result.

Yes the ref was awful, way out of his depth. The conditions were always going to produce some feisty tackles and therefore the ref should have shown more understanding and not start waving the cards around. His big mistake was not to punish the constant pulling and pushing by their defenders. The linesman on the stands side never gave a decision the whole of the first half. The major decisions, definitely a first minute penalty for us the defender nearly swapped shirts with Brandon. Their penalty, definitely, as long as it was in the area. Our penalty, again definitely. Cannot make a comment on the sending off as I and many others didn't see what the linesman saw. The lack of a realistic amount of injury time was also mystifying.

On to our performance:
Blown away in the first 10 mins it was always going to be difficult from there. Organisation needed to be better at the back to defend the first goal and many times in the first 20 mins they went over our defence with a long ball. Duckworth for me is a full back and not a partner for Craig. If Paul Bowyer is fit why is he not playing. Their second was another wonder strike but could have been closed down better. Ryan Stewart needed to stay on his feet for their penalty especially as he was always behind the winger.

Once we got our penalty the game swung massively and we played some great stuff with our best chance falling to Stu Welstead. We didn't want half time to come as after the break the momentum died off. Still had a few chances in the second half but left ourselves wide open many times chasing the game and they could have easily scored more but for some poor finishing and Conkie's good saves.

Plus's were again Matty Ward who worked hard, Lee Jones had his best game for a while and Stu Welstead was always threatening.

Brandon was always up against it with their mammoth Centre Half, and Daley on the wing didn't really show much . I was surprised that Ian didn't change things earlier up front and let Dean come on against the big lad and move Brandon away from him. I'm sure this would have produced a better result.

We now have a break where Ian can reassess where we are and strengthen perhaps. Results will continue to surprise us in this league so all is not lost by any means.

realistically we were outclassed apart from a 15 min spell going up to half time we weren't in it
even after going down to ten men they could have scored 4 more and we still didn't create a chance
quite a lot of our players couldn't handle their pace and speed of play

I wonder where the money comes from to pay them..............................

Well what a disappointment yesterday was. The referee was very poor and decidedly one sided. However take nothing away from Nelson as they made their opportunities count.

I was speaking to a member of Nelsons committee who said they had our boys watched against chadderton. Game plan, attack down the flanks. This worked and credit to their manager for looking at this tactically. He identified both Ryan's as an area they could exploit and their two wingers were very good. Unfortunately both Ryan's had very poor games.

Matthew made 2 good saves, but his kicking was rushed and often put his team mates back under pressure too quickly. Matt ward played well again, but Baily wasn't really in the game. I thought Michael Brandon was isolated at times and would of liked to see us go to 442 immediately after the 2nd goal.

Still, nothing is won in December and I'm sure the team will put it right in the coming months.

There isn't a referee anywhere that would give a dubious penalty in the first few minutes of any game. It wasn't a stonewaller. The ref wasn't overly one sided either, he and his assistants were poor for both sides, and the some of the cards dished out for offences were harsh. Some of the words used to the officials from our excellent following were a little embarrassing.

Minus the well struck second, the goals conceded were really of the same level to what we were gifting when we didn't have Craig and Danny at the back as a pairing. Just don't think the alternative works. After the pen with 75 mins left we really didn't do enough to get back i to the game against a average back line. Mike was too isolated and didn't get any service apart from the lofted balls into the box which were bread and butter for their centre halfs. They were a good side- better than us on two occasions, but we were poor both times. Lack of plan B again

Again, naming just two subs. What is this all about? The two who came on aren't exactly game changers. There must be footballers all around Cheshire wanting a chance to play for 1874, let alone players from rival teams in NWC who would actually want to play for a team doing something rather than a no hoper. What about form players from Cheshire League?

We certainly need to start getting results against the teams around us, starting against Hanley a week Saturday.

Atherton surprisingly losing at home was a huge let-off IMO.

Tinpot there was nothing dubious about the first minute pen,it was a pen,are you sure you were at the game?.

Back