• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Nantwich

I don’t think I’ve ever known managers, who seem so reluctant to mix things up and try new things to turn poor form around. As has been eluded to above, our form is shocking, it ended terrible last year and nothing has changed this season 5 games in.

They should be the first to look at it and say we need to try something new as this isn’t working. When they first came in after Street, they clearly worked on things in training, had a clear style and game plan and executed it well. Can’t say it looks like we work on anything in training or have any game plans anymore? Falls on the management to put a plan in place and try and turn this around.

Go 2 up top, try and utilise set pieces more, overload the wings and overlapping full backs - push Matt W forward more to get involved in build up play and get us more in the attacking third - think having the cdm sit so deep sometimes invites pressure on us. Lad like him can play some defence splitting passes, think having him sit deep and just in front of the defence limits the lad.
Disagree there's no style or game plan as I'm sure there is but it was a lot easier to effectively execute those game plans in the counties where the overall standard of the league was a lot poorer than what we have now in the NPL West, I agree on mixing things up though tactically and I think Lucas is the player that needs to get further up the pitch (though difficult when the opposition always has the ball and players have to go back and defend) as Woolley is a good CDM and does a great job there

Yesterday was an awful watch, unfortunately that’s my feeling about most games now. I don’t think the management have a plan B. They seem far too stubborn to change anything at all, just look at the cup game up at Ossett, that game was crying out for changes at half time and they didn’t come until there was 10/15 minutes left to play. All the 74 fans in the stand could see it, they were all calling for it. And what do we get? Goody looking over all puzzled that we seem to be disgruntled and then no changes.

We play so many players out of position it doesn’t help our cause, Lucas at LB, Jack as a lone striker, Benji at CM. Marrow has played all over the place since last season. We signed Joe Hurst in the summer, he looked like a good signing and then didn’t seem to be fancied by management. Which is a recurring theme with the management, rave about all these new players, yet stick with the same players and then all the new lads get annoyed (rightly so) and leave.

The “small Budget” I’m sorry to be blunt about this, can be largely put down to the management and their inability to see what the issues are and make the required changes. Had they seen the issues over the last few seasons, we could have gone further in the cup competitions and had the prize money which could have helped the budget situation. The boost the budget is a great idea, but to echo what Mark T has said, I’m not sure I trust the management to use that money effectively or at all.

If we don’t find a solution over the next 3-5 games, I suspect we will be playing in the midlands league next year. I understand what Josh has said in terms of over reactions, but I couldn’t disagree more. The signs were there last season, and so far this season I’ve seen nothing different. We almost ended up in a relegation scrap last season, and this season we are already looking like we are headed that way after 5 games.

If we don’t find a solution over the next 3-5 games, I suspect we will be playing in the midlands league next year. I understand what Josh has said in terms of over reactions, but I couldn’t disagree more. The signs were there last season, and so far this season I’ve seen nothing different. We almost ended up in a relegation scrap last season, and this season we are already looking like we are headed that way after 5 games.

100%

The good start last season kept us up. Out form from Christmas onwards has been appalling.

If no positive changes are made by October then we’re staring down the barrel of relegation.

We have a very forgiving board, not sure many other clubs would have tolerated this, particularly after having a full off season to rectify it.

I haven’t seen anything in the last 9 months that fills me with any confidence of staying up. Relegation to the midlands league would set the club back years.

Disagree there's no style or game plan as I'm sure there is but it was a lot easier to effectively execute those game plans in the counties where the overall standard of the league was a lot poorer than what we have now in the NPL West, I agree on mixing things up though tactically and I think Lucas is the player that needs to get further up the pitch (though difficult when the opposition always has the ball and players have to go back and defend) as Woolley is a good CDM and does a great job there
If there is a game plan, then I think most couldn’t watch and tell you what that plan is! Gobo say in their previews they watch teams and have plans to counter how they play, yet we setup the exact same every game?..

It’s all well and good having a cdm, but would like to see the central midfield 3 all pushing and getting involved in attacking phases of play, we can sometimes have 5 or 6 back in our half when attacking - it’s really no wonder why we never have any chances. Our forwards feed off scraps.

Reactions: Ben
The managers really need to try something different fast starting against Newcastle. The current tactics just haven’t worked as has been pointed out and we’re sinking deeper and deeper to the point of no return unless this changes in the next few games. That is the biggest thing we as loyal fans can ask for.

We need to experiment with two up top, getting the full backs and wing players into it more, having midfielders playing less deep, not everyone sitting back from corners, not playing players out of position when at all possible and consistently playing our strongest team with our best players. A more attacking and attractive style of play would be great. That would all help and be a start and show some level of adaptability/plan B which we all want to see and haven’t seen for a while now despite consistently poor results and performances.

I don’t have the foggiest what the team will be against Newcastle with Jack Marrow suspended presumably, Joe Hurst gone (he’d be useful right now) and I don’t know what’s going on with Jason at left back or if Jamie will be available for instance.

Let’s say we go 3-5-2.

Ellis
Fenton Mark Matt W (maybe?)
Jamal Sam Lucas Irlam Munoz
Gabe Jamie (if available)

With everyone available I’d like to see a 4-4-2. For example see below, not leaving out any players in particular.

Ellis
Jack Fenton Mark (someone at LB)
Jamal Lucas Matt W Munoz
Gabe Jamie

For what its worth i though Nantwich were an average team but we have to find something more in the final third, their keeper hardly had to do anything yesterday.
Worryingly this is all too regular a comment heard regarding the opposition keeper having very little to do, the exception being the Chasetown keeper.
The managers won’t be blind to the lack of effective attacking play within that system.
Just one point, since we started using that match analysis system (can’t remember what it’s called), I wonder if a management team can become over-reliant on the analysis? I’m sure if you look hard enough you’ll see things that are working? Maybe they should trust their own gut a bit more that maybe it’s not working.
Its the HUDL data they use, some of which was shared after the Ossett cup exit by Wayne in the newsletter, where he said that we had 14 attempts (that includes blocked shots and efforts on and off target). I can't recall any attempt being noteworthy or clear-cut.

Surely they see what the majority of us are seeing unfold on the pitch - too many miss-placed passes, too many individual mistakes, no end product when we do eventually get in and around the opposition box. As has been said, we can't rely just on being relatively secure defensively as it's goals that win you games. One improvement is that at least we seem to have stopped conceding as many chances from set pieces when compared to the opening two games.

The managers really need to try something different fast starting against Newcastle. The current tactics just haven’t worked as has been pointed out and we’re sinking deeper and deeper to the point of no return unless this changes in the next few games. That is the biggest thing we as loyal fans can ask for.

We need to experiment with two up top, getting the full backs and wing players into it more, having midfielders playing less deep, not everyone sitting back from corners, not playing players out of position when at all possible and consistently playing our strongest team with our best players. A more attacking and attractive style of play would be great. That would all help and be a start and show some level of adaptability/plan B which we all want to see and haven’t seen for a while now despite consistently poor results and performances.

I don’t have the foggiest what the team will be against Newcastle with Jack Marrow suspended presumably, Joe Hurst gone (he’d be useful right now) and I don’t know what’s going on with Jason at left back or if Jamie will be available for instance.

Let’s say we go 3-5-2.

Ellis

With everyone available I’d like to see a 4-4-2. For example see below, not leaving out any players in particular.

Ellis
Jamal Lucas Matt W Munoz
Gabe Jamie
Ben, on the whole I agree with what you say but am I reading this as you would have Fenton Green in the back line and not have Matty Fenton on the pitch? On what I have seen this season I would have them both on the pitch, at least Fenton G is prepared to try a shot.

Ben, on the whole I agree with what you say but am I reading this as you would have Fenton Green in the back line and not have Matty Fenton on the pitch? On what I have seen this season I would have them both on the pitch, at least Fenton G is prepared to try a shot.
Richard, no I was referring to Matty Fenton in the back line and I’d happily play Fenton Green in the midfield as well, who like you say is prepared to try a shot and scored a well taken goal against Chasetown last week.

The line ups I mentioned were just examples of how we could set up and certain players could slot in and out.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone.

I agree with most people who think we are so predictable. I've said for ages that if they do have other teams watched the findings are ignored as we play the same way. Our scout that left us in the close season was given a glowing tribute but I didn't see any evidence of us reacting to his thoughts in our set ups.

Money is a big factor without a doubt but that does not stop you being invitive with what we have and cannot be used as the reason for lack of goals. If we did get a proven goalscorer he would have to have chances created for him to score those goals. We really do play nice football but without producing chances.

A change of approach is required for me. So many of us are crying out for a 4-4-2, which I agree with but have a look at how the opposition set up and attack their set up and weak areas not just stick with what we know. When have we seen a training ground free kick?

So my overall thought is let's change! Not necessarily the Managers but the way we set up and react. It really is stale at the moment.

Anyway chin up everyone our defence will always give us a chance! so see everyone on Saturday.

Having got the video I looked for the sending off. Unfortunately it shows nothing apart from the reckless approach of the Nantwich player, which I did not like at the time, but nothing more. From the reaction of their bench I imagine Jack must have stamped him. However, watching the ref and his assistants talking it appears as if the far side liner was doing most of the talking and yet he clearly did not think there was anything wrong with either the Nantwich tackle o Jack's reaction as he never remotely looked like raising his flag. So how come he could tell the ref anything was wrong? I would love to see the official report!

A change of approach is required for me. So many of us are crying out for a 4-4-2, which I agree with but have a look at how the opposition set up and attack their set up and weak areas not just stick with what we know. When have we seen a training ground free kick?

So my overall thought is let's change! Not necessarily the Managers but the way we set up and react. It really is stale at the moment.

Anything from a 4-4-2 to the mentioned 3-5-2. Against Barnton in pre season there looked to be a change in shape dependant on the phase of play? - haven’t seen that since.

It’s starting to feel how it was in the lead up to Ian Street going now.

Agree that changes need to be made by the management in how we setup etc, however if they aren’t willing to make the change, there will come a time very soon where we need to consider a change in management I’m afraid.

Give them a chance to try and rectify before jumping the gun. But this current mood needs to be a stern warning that it can’t continue like this.

Are the current managers aware of the fans dissatisfaction with their tactics? If so what is their response? Are the board aware of the fans dissatisfaction if so what is their response? How many more games should the managers be given to turn things around. 2, 5 or 10?

Are the current managers aware of the fans dissatisfaction with their tactics? If so what is their response? Are the board aware of the fans dissatisfaction if so what is their response? How many more games should the managers be given to turn things around. 2, 5 or 10?
I would say they would be daft to not be aware of the fans feelings, there has been enough vocal calls from the crowd since the opening game at Ossett to change things up during the games.

Give them 5 games is my feeling on this. If we give them anymore than that, I fear we are past the point of no return if nothing has changed.

Let’s say we go 3-5-2.

Ellis

Ellis
Jamal Lucas Matt W Munoz
Gabe Jamie
I like the 4-4-2 tbf but I'd personally swap Munoz with Noble and then put him up top with Gabe (or at least slightly behind him in the #10) and Jamie on the wing

Back