• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Leek called off

There's no option but to take this as high as we need to to make sure this doesn't happen again, we need to demand compensation for us and Leek.

What we need to do is work out how much money the pitch has cost us so far in postponements, alternative venues cancellations and dropped points! [ I guestimate easily 4 figures ]
Then work out how much it would cost to upgrade the playing surface over the summer bearing in mind 100+ volunteers!

Appeal what? ?

Who was the official that gave the go ahead earlier on in the day when there were areas still questionable?

Shouldn't the anger be directed towards Winsford and their appalling upkeep of the playing facilities? They are landlords - is enough being done by them to ensure fixtures have the best chance of being playable? Any other ground and yesterdays rain wouldn't have had any impact on the next days fixture, but years of poor management always heightens the chance of postponement.

We have been fortunate recently that referees have chosen not to take action over the disgraceful lighting situation at night fixtures, and that along with the poor catering really is not good enough. Had doubts about Winsford hosting ability and just hope that our chances of promotion are not hampered

Officials expences should not have been requested or paid, by doing so means we'll be paying twice for this fixture, thats bullpoo.

Tinpot there were two other games called off in the league,and by the way it rained very heavy today,but having said that tonight's should not have been called off.Did you see the pitch,if you did what was your opinion of it,every one who did agreed the game should have gone ahead(except the referee) both team's wished to play.

If you want to see a pitch worthy of a postponement, try Rochdale Town's - theirs and Ashton's matches were also called off tonight ...
BktiS6CIYAAVb3M.jpg

Formby are due to play on that on Thursday

How much are officials fees at our level?
Enough to pay for a couple of pints at the pub whilst watching the Chelsea match and a bag of chips on the way home?

Suspect it'll be Wed then! Fingers crossed for a drought.

Suppose with 3 games in 3 days they will get to know each others names as they had'nt met before tonight!

And Cheadle vs Atherton was on despite the goalmouth area looking like this!
10154910_10202540601050996_5214635227088916433_n.jpg

Looking at that Rochdale pitch Alan, I'd be doubtful they'll be hosting Formby tomorrow night :(

And get this 'official' struck off

I can understand the frustrations of both fans and officials who were looking forward to the game, not least because they were confident it would go ahead after the inspection mid-afternoon. Even more frustrating and perplexing that the match official should choose to ignore the recent guidelines set out by the NWCL. However all this frustration and disappointment not withstanding, I don't think that disciplining the ref and his helpers or withholding his match expenses is the right way to go either, particularly as officials in the lower echelons of non-league footie are getting harder and harder to find :meh Perhaps we could agree to disagree, have a public whipping in the centre circle ..... and say no more about it? ;):D Seriously though in the light of last nights decision and the chaos it adds to the fixture list, perhaps it would be prudent for the NWCL to reiterate the discussion they had at committee level and remind all officials what they agreed?

As irritating as it is for 1874, you have to feel more for CSOB. In their present situation, short of money and players, the last thing they needed was another postponement to add to their woes.

Of course if the FA had employed some common sense in the first place and agreed to a extension of the season, maybe we wouldn't have the farcical situation where clubs like Leek and Rochdale are playing three or maybe four times a week? Thanks to their intransigence and shortsightedness, the integrity of the competition could be potentially compromised; hopefully this doesn't impact on the promotion prospects of any of the title contenders.

Last edited:
So reading some of the messages on here, i struggle to understand which planet some of our "contributors" are from.....

Disappointing that the game was called off, but the referee made a brave / bold decision which he must have known would have been unpopular, but assume he had the players safety at the core of his decision.

I was there before the game was called off and the pitch had some very soft areas; the referee made a decision that the condition of the pitch could have been a safety issue for the players if they got injured or hurt trying to run through, or cross a ball in that area - what if the game was played and someone got injured??... the ref would have been called for allowing the game to go ahead - he would be dammed either way.

Let's not forget that the guys playing don't live on the money they get playing at this level... if one of the players was injured last night the impact could have been that they are off work and unable to earn a wage...... so i think some of the vitriol from this thread is comple nonsence and written by people who weren't there / don't understand how football at this level runs ....

We also have to accept that we are no longer playing on the Victoria stadium pitch and haven't got the money to spend on the pitch / facilities - we were massively overspending there... we have to live within our means.... Winsford are in a similar position to us, they too don't have a big backer to throw money at improvements... we have to live within our means.... for me, i am happy to play at Winsofrd if the alternative is not playing at all...

As I understand it, if both clubs were happy to go ahead with the game, accepting that some areas of the pitch were softer than the rest of the pitch, then the game should have gone ahead.... for me, i would have been happy to play on it... but them i'm not a referee!!

In these situations, clubs should be compensated by the FA, match officials should also claim their expenses from the FA.

Bet that would reduce the number of last minute postponements.

Lets just agree the Referee got it wrong last night.
One thing I will say is,if all referee's called games off on pitch's in the condition last night's pitch was in,then the season for grass roots football would never end.

Back