• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

From the Outside Looking In….

BFC1885

Dec 31, 2022
Good Morning Folks,

Firstly let me introduce myself. I am a long-suffering Bury supporter who has just seen Bury AFC wipe the floor with Northwich Victoria 6-1 at Wincham Park in the ninth tier of English football. The attendance was dire, with what appeared to be 150 NVFC at best in a total crowd of 574. A sorry state for what was once a proud non-league club, and Northwich’s premier outfit. This also comes days after a humiliating 4-1 defeat for 1874 to Witton Albion in the 8th tier.

As some may be aware, there are some striking (and some not so) resemblances between the Northwich situation and the current Bury situation, whereby fans are at loggerheads owing to numerous disagreements over the years.

At Bury, quite simply the messy and still undead corpse of Bury FC has caused rifts within the historical fanbase, with some disagreeing with the formation of AFC prior to the death of BFC (sound familiar?) despite the fact that BFC now exist only on a piece of paper. We have two distinct fan groups, who appear diametrically opposed, Bury FC Supporters Society (BFCSS) and Shakers Community Society (SCS).

I am aware the situation at Northwich was in some respects different, I believe due to dissatisfaction over the running of NVFC and the numerous administrations since around 2004? But I believe there was an initial belief that NVFC would fold fairly soon afterwards, with a desire for fan-ownership rather than poor ownership, hence the creation of 1874. Clearly NVFC didn’t fold, hence a similar scenario is observed to that of Bury AFC and Bury FC (although BFC is truly a corpse).

To see Bury FC’s historical fanbase of around 2,500 essentially get split into two has been heartbreaking, arguably more so than the initial expulsion from the Football League (which in my opinion was deserved). Perhaps some 1874 fans are able to resonate with this feeling to a degree? With this split comes the abuse and harsh words exchanged between what is now essentially two Bury factions, one with a ground (Gigg Lane - BFCSS) and one with a team (Bury AFC - SCS).

As you can guess, the main similarity between BFC and Northwich is that there are two sets of the same fans who cannot get along. I think most Bury fans; whichever side of the fence you sit on, agree that two clubs would be disastrous for a small town like Bury (pop. circa 80,000, but absorbed into Manchester suburbia).

Northwich is not a large town, but is not too dissimilar in size to Bury, and is arguably much better placed in terms of retaining a captive audience than the likes of Bury and Altrincham, due to being further out of reach of Manchester’s footballing gravitational pull.

How can it be then that the current top dogs in the Northwich football scene only pull in on average c. 250 fans? Do you, as I do with Bury AFC, not ponder what could have been, if fans had pulled together instead of pointing fingers at each other or finding fault?

Bury AFC currently play in Radcliffe, on the outskirts of Bury, just as you do at Barnton. Playing out of town has significant limitations and I long for a return to Gigg Lane, as I’m sure many of you do to Drill Field. If Bury had two clubs, both would achieve attendances of around 1,000 each in the lower reaches of non-league until both slowly diminished and died.

Northwich Victoria are now fan-owned, as are 1874… there are 50,000 people within the Northwich built-up area. Surely given the respective positions of both clubs it is time to consider a coming together with a view to galvanise the town into getting behind a united Northwich effort? A crowd yesterday of 800+ for 1874 shows there is an appetite for football in the town. I am not sure what the appetite would be like from Witton’s perspective but much like Bury’s unfolding situation, having two clubs of essentially the same supporter base seems counter intuitive to overall growth.

From the outside looking in, NVFC and 1874 appear to be in a much more advanced phase of a situation which Bury are just entering. But with a sizeable captive audience in Northwich and both NVFC and 1874 competing for support - and not exactly ripping up trees on the pitch, surely both fan-owned clubs can find common ground and open discussions for re-unification?

I am happy to be corrected and educated on the suggestions and points raised. I know how complex these sorts of scenarios can be, the twists and turns of lies and deceit following Bury’s expulsion could fill a book!

Last edited:
Very interesting piece and on the face of it the prospect sounds logical.

However this is not a logical situation. It's complicated. Both teams do not have a ground. One is run above board and the other is well,..... dubious at best. Fans run is truly what 1874 is with decisions being made by a board elected by it's members. Again a big difference is that decisions made at the Vic's are not made by all the fans. The maths there on the finances still do not add up and for these reasons I believe it will be decades before the differences will be overcome.

There is more chance of a merger with Witton Albion but again it is way off at the moment. Thanks again for your observations.

Hi all
Good Morning Folks,

Firstly let me introduce myself. I am a long-suffering Bury supporter who has just seen Bury AFC wipe the floor with Northwich Victoria 6-1 at Wincham Park in the ninth tier of English football. The attendance was dire, with what appeared to be 150 NVFC at best in a total crowd of 574. A sorry state for what was once a proud non-league club, and Northwich’s premier outfit. This also comes days after a humiliating 4-1 defeat for 1874 to Witton Albion in the 8th tier.

As some may be aware, there are some striking (and some not so) resemblances between the Northwich situation and the current Bury situation, whereby fans are at loggerheads owing to numerous disagreements over the years.

At Bury, quite simply the messy and still undead corpse of Bury FC has caused rifts within the historical fanbase, with some disagreeing with the formation of AFC prior to the death of BFC (sound familiar?) despite the fact that BFC now exist only on a piece of paper. We have two distinct fan groups, who appear diametrically opposed, Bury FC Supporters Society (BFCSS) and Shakers Community Society (SCS).

I am aware the situation at Northwich was in some respects different, I believe due to dissatisfaction over the running of NVFC and the numerous administrations since around 2004? But I believe there was an initial belief that NVFC would fold fairly soon afterwards, with a desire for fan-ownership rather than poor ownership, hence the creation of 1874. Clearly NVFC didn’t fold, hence a similar scenario is observed to that of Bury AFC and Bury FC (although BFC is truly a corpse).

To see Bury FC’s historical fanbase of around 2,500 essentially get split into two has been heartbreaking, arguably more so than the initial expulsion from the Football League (which in my opinion was deserved). Perhaps some 1874 fans are able to resonate with this feeling to a degree? With this split comes the abuse and harsh words exchanged between what is now essentially two Bury factions, one with a ground (Gigg Lane - BFCSS) and one with a team (Bury AFC - SCS).

As you can guess, the main similarity between BFC and Northwich is that there are two sets of the same fans who cannot get along. I think most Bury fans; whichever side of the fence you sit on, agree that two clubs would be disastrous for a small town like Bury (pop. circa 80,000, but absorbed into Manchester suburbia).

Northwich is not a large town, but is not too dissimilar in size to Bury, and is arguably much better placed in terms of retaining a captive audience than the likes of Bury and Altrincham, due to being further out of reach of Manchester’s footballing gravitational pull.

How can it be then that the current top dogs in the Northwich football scene only pull in on average c. 250 fans? Do you, as I do with Bury AFC, not ponder what could have been, if fans had pulled together instead of pointing fingers at each other or finding fault?

Bury AFC currently play in Radcliffe, on the outskirts of Bury, just as you do at Barnton. Playing out of town has significant limitations and I long for a return to Gigg Lane, as I’m sure many of you do to Drill Field. If Bury had two clubs, both would achieve attendances of around 1,000 each in the lower reaches of non-league until both slowly diminished and died.

Northwich Victoria are now fan-owned, as are 1874… there are 50,000 people within the Northwich built-up area. Surely given the respective positions of both clubs it is time to consider a coming together with a view to galvanise the town into getting behind a united Northwich effort? A crowd yesterday of 800+ for 1874 shows there is an appetite for football in the town. I am not sure what the appetite would be like from Witton’s perspective but much like Bury’s unfolding situation, having two clubs of essentially the same supporter base seems counter intuitive to overall growth.

From the outside looking in, NVFC and 1874 appear to be in a much more advanced phase of a situation which Bury are just entering. But with a sizeable captive audience in Northwich and both NVFC and 1874 competing for support - and not exactly ripping up trees on the pitch, surely both fan-owned clubs can find common ground and open discussions for re-unification?

I am happy to be corrected and educated on the suggestions and points raised. I know how complex these sorts of scenarios can be, the twists and turns of lies and deceit following Bury’s expulsion could fill a book!
Hi all - there are many who have thoughts on what needs to be done - https://1874forum.co.uk/threads/football-in-northwich.9856/page-8

Without being disrespectful there is nothing new here, we all know what we need to do - its just the willingness to do it !

Without being disrespectful there is nothing new here, we all know what we need to do - its just the willingness to do it !
Without being disrespectful, you are quite correct, nothing new here. Lots of talk ...... and that’s all it is. Unless someone wants to set the ball rolling, formally, which apparently no one does, there is nothing to see here!

#nomoremergertalk

It's a no from me and always will be. I'm a Wittoner through and through and would not support a merged Northwich team.
I know looking in from the outside it would be the sensible option but there's to much water gone under the bridge for me to even think about it.

Reactions: Tez
It's a no from me and always will be. I'm a Wittoner through and through and would not support a merged Northwich team.
I know looking in from the outside it would be the sensible option but there's to much water gone under the bridge for me to even think about it.
Out of interest, do you sense much appetite for a merger on the terraces or the Boardroom ?

Good Morning Folks,

No thanks. Next joke

G

I can't speak for others and never would, but in my opinion I can't see it being an option
For many reasons, most of which have been covered previously, neither can I.

Good Morning Folks,

Perchance, was one of your hobbies as a child prodding sticks into ? nests?????

Interesting observations from a neutral standpoint, and it's always good to see how others see us, but as others have said there is little which hasn't been chewed over within the fanbases themselves - and for decades before 1874 were formed. Some of us remember the ill-fated and ill-conceived campaign for "Northwich United" back in the 70s. Cold logic may be on your side, but there is little room or appetite for cold logic in local football.

I'd also still question the veracity of NV being truly "fan-run".

Reactions: Tez
Interesting observations from a neutral standpoint, and it's always good to see how others see us, but as others have said there is little which hasn't been chewed over within the fanbases themselves - and for decades before 1874 were formed. Some of us remember the ill-fated and ill-conceived campaign for "Northwich United" back in the 70s. Cold logic may be on your side, but there is little room or appetite for cold logic in local football.

I'd also still question the veracity of NV being truly "fan-run".
Happy new year Mr M. Good to know you are still perusing local topics, albeit from a bit further afield these days. Where you and I might differ (slightly) is that I think that there is a growing awareness of the increasing financial and organisational challenges all our clubs face. I think that at some point, something will give.

Knutsfordian - How many Witton shareholders would be willing to write off their shareholding for the greater good of unified town team and significantly those who hold the lion’s share? If not written off, what would the mechanism be for compensation?

Wincham Park would seemingly be the logical venue for any new club to play, but that would require one party to relinquish absolute control and tenure, while the other two parties offer nothing in terms of land or finance as their “buy in”? Perhaps the plan would be to rely on the largesse of the CWAC to provide an alternative venue?
Do you envisage a Board of directors made up of local and/or interested local businessmen (obviously fit and proper, with sufficient capital and patience to see the venture through while also having the best intentions for the club) or is it a fan run organisation?

Obviously many more questions to be raised, crucially first and foremost, which individual puts their head above the parapet first to start the ball rolling?
To be honest, too many hurdles and from a Witton perspective too much ground to give. They hold the cards and neither Vics or ‘74 have the money to buy in. There is no incentive for them?‍♂️

Knutsfordian - How many Witton shareholders would be willing to write off their shareholding for the greater good of unified town team and significantly those who hold the lion’s share? If not written off, what would the mechanism be for compensation?

Wincham Park would seemingly be the logical venue for any new club to play, but that would require one party to relinquish absolute control and tenure, while the other two parties offer nothing in terms of land or finance as their “buy in”? Perhaps the plan would be to rely on the largesse of the CWAC to provide an alternative venue?
Do you envisage a Board of directors made up of local and/or interested local businessmen (obviously fit and proper, with sufficient capital and patience to see the venture through while also having the best intentions for the club) or is it a fan run organisation?

Obviously many more questions to be raised, crucially first and foremost, which individual puts their head above the parapet first to start the ball rolling?
To be honest, too many hurdles and from a Witton perspective too much ground to give. They hold the cards and neither Vics or ‘74 have the money to buy in. There is no incentive for them?‍♂️
“Largesse of CWaC”?!

They haven’t got a pot to p**s in! We can’t even get the leaves on the road cleared up?. That’s how skint they are…

“Largesse of CWaC”?!

They haven’t got a pot to p**s in! We can’t even get the leaves on the road cleared up?. That’s how skint they are…
So, we can cross them off the list? Obviously the hope of CWaC digging deep, even if there was funding, was …. optimistic ? However the question still remains, where would a unified club play and IF that were Wincham Park, what were Knutsfordian’s initial thoughts on how that could come about given that the ground is a significant contribution for them to bring to any arrangement??‍♂️

Witton Albion FC Ltd is as the name declares a private limited company, so limited company rues apply.

Wincham Park is worth say £1.2m - you can argue it should be more or less, but for the sake of this discussion lets just say that. So with 300,000 shares that values each share at £4.

If someone could be persuaded to offer £4 then WAFC shareholders would have to make the decision. I think potentially that some major names would cash in (Warrender, Lloyd, Worthington?) and then the majority needed to swing a decision is quite small. That's just my view and I have no indication that this would be the outcome. There are some more obstacles in terms of the articles of memorandum that define the company, but I am sure they could be resolved. The way is then open for the new owners to approach 1874, NVFC to join the new team.

That said, its in the hands of shareholders and supporters, but there is a way forward IF there is a prospective buyer. and supporters agree

In some ways its not the value of the individual parts that will drive any deal, but the value of what is built in total. That's the real prize for someone with talent and vision to make it happen

Not one to usually comment on forums but interested in the concept and replies to the chap from Bury.The theories put forward by Knutsfordian are as usual well thought out and articulated. My personal view is that amalgamation with Witton would never come to fruition due to the deep seated views of all sets of fans.The other alternative would be for the green side of town to maybe enter talks regarding getting back together and seeing if there is any common ground to move forward. Regarding ground sharing with Witton I don't see a problem it would be mutually beneficial to both clubs .Regarding gates I would envisage around 500 on average.Just an opinion folks maybe room for disscusion.

Witton Albion FC Ltd is as the name declares a private limited company, so limited company rues apply.

Wincham Park is worth say £1.2m - you can argue it should be more or less, but for the sake of this discussion lets just say that. So with 300,000 shares that values each share at £4.

If someone could be persuaded to offer £4 then WAFC shareholders would have to make the decision. I think potentially that some major names would cash in (Warrender, Lloyd, Worthington?) and then the majority needed to swing a decision is quite small. That's just my view and I have no indication that this would be the outcome. There are some more obstacles in terms of the articles of memorandum that define the company, but I am sure they could be resolved. The way is then open for the new owners to approach 1874, NVFC to join the new team.

That said, its in the hands of shareholders and supporters, but there is a way forward IF there is a prospective buyer. and supporters agree

In some ways its not the value of the individual parts that will drive any deal, but the value of what is built in total. That's the real prize for someone with talent and vision to make it happen
...... and not a Connett or Rushe character (heaven forbid) or someone with initial good intentions but ultimately not in it for the long haul. Always the risk here??‍♂️ Something which both clubs have been on the wrong end of in the past.

Back