• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Attendances

While appreciating your comments, I would say
a) the "number in attendance" was minimal, and it has taken them quite a long while to be "concerned about the state of their club"
b) the number involved have no realistic prospect of achieving their aim "to keep it afloat for the foreseeable future", other than that the foreseeable future is very short by definition
c) the Rushe tenure will take a long time to be "consigned to history", having soured too many relationships with the ex-fanbase, let alone with the local community and businesses, and there is no tangible evidence that "many" now lapsed supporters will return to them
d) few would claim 1874 to be a "phoenix club", but similarly few would accept that there is "no association whatever" to the old club (which is presumably what you meant) - the vast majority of the founding members/owners come from the ranks of the disillusioned and disenfranchised NVFC fanbase
e) few "claim ownership of the history of NVFC" - what we do claim is a representation of at least a significant part of the legacy of that club and an embodiment of the fact that any football club resides primarily in its supporters.
f) we foresee a single Northwich team without the need to lower ourselves to an acceptance of the wrongdoings of a club which has been teetering on the brink now for many years. At least in my view, it would be morally and ethically reprehensible to countenance any association with what is left of NVFC. They have burnt those bridges long ago.

The brand NVFC is toxic, and little can be done to change that. Any amalgamation would more likely result in reduced rather than increased attendances, and could do untold damage to our attempts to establish our good name within the local community.
That does not detract from the continued need to search for ways of attracting more support, however.

This post, although extremely well written by Alan, is much along the lines of what I was getting at in my original post.

How can you quickly explain that to someone new who asks what 1874 are all about?

The likely response would be "so you hate Northwich Vics, aren't a Phoenix club of theirs, but your name (1874) is a reference to the creation of them, you play in similar colours and have a similar badge on the kit? So are you part of Vics or aren't you?".

I'm intrigued as to how this thread has unfolded and its written proof that either nobody knows what the actual model of 1874 is, or one doesn't actually exist and it's left up to individual interpretation.

Here's a question for you. How do you guys see us (Linnets). Personally I don't feel any connection between you and Vics. But for those of you who either do see 1874 as Vics reborn or those who have watched 50 Vics v Runcorn games, do you feel like your watching 1874 play Runcorn FC or something else?

Ste I see Linnets as a club which rose from the ashes of Runcorn FC and the old Canal Street days. Runcorn Town on the other hand is Mond Rangers under a different name; the difference in the size of gate reflects the origins of the two, in my opinion.

I'm with Tez on that Linnets question.

And I will readily concede that anyone explaining what 1874 are all about has quite a tough job on their hands, partly for the very reasons you cited earlier. But the explanation will probably differ at least in degrees of emphasis of the various factors depending on who is asking for the explanation. While we can't be all things to all men (and women and children), we are allowed to have a complex genesis, and it is one which is still crystallising into an independent identity. With Linnets it was much easier in this respect, but if you take the likes of FCUM (or even Wimbledon) they too have had to go through a period of self-analysis and "find themselves".

I'm with Tez on that Linnets question.

And I will readily concede that anyone explaining what 1874 are all about has quite a tough job on their hands, partly for the very reasons you cited earlier. But the explanation will probably differ at least in degrees of emphasis of the various factors depending on who is asking for the explanation. While we can't be all things to all men (and women and children), we are allowed to have a complex genesis, and it is one which is still crystallising into an independent identity. With Linnets it was much easier in this respect, but if you take the likes of FCUM (or even Wimbledon) they too have had to go through a period of self-analysis and "find themselves".

That is spot on Alan. I have and always will feel that we have given a nod to our roots with the name of the club (first on the list at every cup draw and top at the start of every season!) and the green shirt, but that is all, we are a new club and hopefully (and I know this isn't to everyone's liking) if we can move away from the original crest to something more modern and dynamic it will further separate us from them.

At the risk of repetition...we should be completely different!
Change the badge,
Change the strip,
Keep the name (because it still represent the town/origin of the clubs supporters/reason for existence)
Anyone still wanting to keep a major link with vics should go and watch them if they feel they want to be associated with the club that much!....(tried that...good luck!!).
The main thing we need to get over to people is what the club represents NOT where it came from.
The less we are linked to vics the better from my point of view!

The badge needs changing to the new proposed one. The name and the green shows where we came from, but the badge represents how different we are.

At the risk of repetition...we should be completely different!
Change the badge,
Change the strip,
Keep the name (because it still represent the town/origin of the clubs supporters/reason for existence)
Anyone still wanting to keep a major link with vics should go and watch them if they feel they want to be associated with the club that much!....(tried that...good luck!!).
The main thing we need to get over to people is what the club represents NOT where it came from.
The less we are linked to vics the better from my point of view!
If there is a complete break with the past (I actually think that's impossible) then for people like me who don't live local why bother with 1874? There's plenty of other teams closer with no link to Vics either.

STOP STOP!
What the heck is going on?
A supporter from another club [ quite possibly a decent sort of bloke ] posts to tell us attendances are down and all thats wrong with OUR club and our own people are already trying to change the strip, badge and corporate identity!!!

Pinch yourself boys and girls, we are all just 3 1/2 seasons into the rest of our lives supporting our own club called Northwich playing in Green, whilst not waiting for a tax demand or court case or impending relegation or bills that can't be paid etc etc.
Yes we need our own ground, junior teams and a FA Cup run but believe me changing a badge every 4 seasons won't increase our following.

the negative bit!

The quality of the football on show is the overwhelming reason that gates are down.
Only us diehards are willing to pay to watch few goals and tippy tappy then lose it football !
Ask yourselves how many times have you come away from a game this season buzzing with excitement?

now the positive bit!
I believe now we have Ryan Jackson, Joe Wooley and Paul Connor back in the squad they will take us to another level of football [ example Joe Wooley against AFC Blackpool ]
This will bring fans back, attacking wingers and overlapping full backs and GOALS.

So thanks for your thoughts stebiggy, but we know who we are
We are 1874 NORTHWICH we are GREEN and most importantly CLEAN.

Spot on Mark.

The footballs the reason the attendance are on the decline, but with the like of Connors and Jackson back, and start using width and going forward and not backwards, we'll start scoring some goals.

Attendances won't rise again as quick as they fell, but get some attacking football going, and push for the title, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them 300/350 come march.

Spot on Mark.

The footballs the reason the attendance are on the decline, but with the like of Connors and Jackson back, and start using width and going forward and not backwards, we'll start scoring some goals.

Attendances won't rise again as quick as they fell, but get some attacking football going, and push for the title, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them 300/350 come march.
Sorry mate but I just don't understand your opinion. We're currently in the top 5 break away clubs, pushing for promotion, if the reduced attendance is due to performance on the pitch thank goodness were not in the bottom 5.

The gate statistic's for the two seasons are,this year.
Home cup gates average this year from four games 257,last year from four games 258.
Away cup from three games 177,last season from three games 151.
Home league games this season 225 from nine games.last season 274 you have to take into account we played both Runcorn teams in those nine games.If you look at the next nine games last season the average drops to 233.
Away league games after nine it's 225,last season 201.
So I think we need to wait and see if the average evens it' self out.
On the playing record.
This season from Nine home games we have 19 points scoring 21 goals with 10 against,last season 17 points scoring 17 goal and 13 against.
Away this season from nine games 18 points scoring 14 with 10 against,last season 17 points scoring 24 goal with 20 against..

Sorry mate but I just don't understand your opinion.

Surprised you can't relate to style of play not having an affect on attendances.
How many times this season have we said "not the best performance but at least another 3 points"
Ian has had his hands tied due to key injuries/suspensions and stag weekends!
I really believe with Ryan,Paul and now Joe all back in the frame entertaining football will be back
and so will the crowds !
There are many crucial games coming up before Xmas lets all get behind the boys and climb that table.

Style of football played is a personal preference, I'd be quite happy to watch regular matches played at a reasonable standard, scraping a win or a draw, whilst taking into consideration and respecting players families sacrifice and their working shift patterns.
Football entertainment is bound to be up and down, we can't play exciting football every match and can't win every match, that would just be boring.

I personally think the drop in attendance is partly due to the 1874 novelty wearing off, maybe parking issues at home matches, not owning own stadium, stuck in a league that's very difficult to get out of, other family commitments, busy working patterns, time, distance, motivation blah blah blah, could be a number of reasons.

The biggest attendance task 1874 face is attracting the youngsters and youth of the area, they are ultimately our future. Get them hooked and addicted at an early age however the million dollar question is how? Well my personal choice would to start a 1874 Northwich Junior FC.

Last edited:
Totally agree with everything you say Tony, you could have added last seasons pitch problems too.

I am 1 of around 200 'die hards' who are 'quite' happy to watch regular matches played at a reasonable standard, scraping a win or a draw, whilst taking into consideration and respecting players families sacrifice and their working shift patterns.

I don't ask anymore from the hardworking staff/squad, they all bust a gut to put in 100% I just believe with the 3 lads coming back we will move up a level, become more entertaining to watch and thus bring the crowds back.

Back