• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Wyth friendly moved

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
This afternoons match has been moved to the Manchester Enterprise Academ. Kick off 2pm still
Post code is M22 9RH

Wasn’t there but it seems a shocking first 10 minutes where we went 3-0 down killed any chance of a positive result.

It was a poor performance to put it politely. I just hope that many of the players put it behind them and get back to normal. Ellis has damaged his arm and had to come off in the 2nd half and it may be that this affected him for the first 2 goals. Not everyone had bad games but too many did. One of the 2nd half substitutes, whom I think came on against Salford also (has a receding hair line), looked good and tried very hard, but it seemed to me that Jamie avoided passing to him when he was the obvious outlet. Why, I wonder?

I know it’s only pre-season but we were very poor. Totally outplayed by a side a league lower. A few Wythenshawe fans commented with their surprise at how poor we were and saying it’s looking like a long season. I couldn’t help but agree. Very worrying just two weeks before the season starts. Hopefully put this behind us and improve fast as it’s going to be a real struggle otherwise.

I know it’s only pre-season but we were very poor. Totally outplayed by a side a league lower. A few Wythenshawe fans commented with their surprise at how poor we were and saying it’s looking like a long season. I couldn’t help but agree. Very worrying just two weeks before the season starts. Hopefully put this behind us and improve fast as it’s going to be a real struggle otherwise.
I’ve only seen the Barnton and Didsbury games but on the basis of what I’ve seen so far and the views of others we seem way off the standard required to compete at the NPL West level.

Two friendlies to go before the huge FA Cup tie at Ossett. Let’s hope that the side shows some significant improvements in their performance before then!

Reactions: Ben
In my opinion, you can’t judge whether the side is good enough for NPL West, until we play competitive games against other sides in our division.

I missed today but have been at all the other games, it seems what Goody said the other night is proving true, with us having such a young side with a lot of new players, it will take a while for everyone to get to know and understand each other, so performances may be very up and down.

I thought Rhyl, Bury, Barnton (at times) we were good, West Dids and today (from what Ive been told) not good at all. Salford were just too fit and good for us sadly.

Ill wait until 5-10 league games in to give my judgement.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you can’t judge whether the side is good enough for NPL West, until we play competitive games against other sides in our division.

I missed today but have been at all the other games, it seems what Goody said the other night is proving true, with us having such a young side with a lot of new players, it will take a while for everyone to get to know and understand each other, so performances may be very up and down.

I thought Rhyl, Bury, Barnton (at times) we were good, West Dids and today (from what Ive been told) not good at all. Salford were just too fit and good for us sadly.

Ill wait until 5-10 league games in to give my judgement.
So will I. And I’ve been around for long enough now to know not to read too much into pre season games, particularly when the sides contain Trialists.
I suspect that we’ll have a better idea as to where we stand after the Colls and Liversidge games

So will I. And I’ve been around for long enough now to know not to read too much into pre season games, particularly when the sides contain Trialists.
I suspect that we’ll have a better idea as to where we stand after the Colls and Liversidge games
I hope its more positive feeling than right now! 😩

After the Salford game I was quite positive as I thought overall we played well against a good side.

On Saturday I am afraid we were outmuscled by a decent Wythenshawe team. It was clear that they wanted it more than us.

What disappointed me more was our lack of appreciation of the tactics of Wythenshawe. Their defence played a very high line which we couldn't deal with. This meant that almost all of the first half was played in our half. A 1-2 or a ball over the top is the way to combat this but we couldn't cope and with seemingly no instructions from the line the trend carried on all the way to the end.

It was a disappointing performance from too many players. I still think we have a decent squad but we have to be smarter in my opinion.

See everyone tomorrow night.

Alan 100 % agree with you. And the lack of 1-2s is what disappointed me because the 2nd half right back several tmes tried to play them with Jamie and never got the return ball. That was the most frustrating aspect of the afternoon for me.

I have only seen a bit of the pre-season play in the video but feel it is far too early for pessimism.
For the second year we have lost a number of key players, which is mightily disruptive at any level of football, never mind at our level. As a Forest fan I recall the upheavals they had last season when they tried to introduce 35 new signings - they were pretty well bottom of the league at year end, but came good afterwards.
So give management a bit of time to sort things out and then see where we are.
As ever I am looking forward to the new season; reassuring to see familiar faces returning ; -I hope to make the first home game to see the new signings for myself.

Back