• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

winnington park recreation club

blade1874

Dec 6, 2014
Happy new year all. Just walked past winnington park club and I think it would be ideal for home games the facilities all in place just needs a stand plus all the houses being built down there new supporters and not a bad walk from town. As this been looked at and would it be feasable?

http://www.wprc.co.uk/p/find.html

Last edited:
winnington would be ideal for a ground, Moss farm is where it should be.

Moss Farm would be perfect but how possible is it? Could we share a 3G pitch with the rugby club as building our own ground on the site would be costly (presuming we got permission)

I think the quote from the AGM was "We've ruled nothing out"
So I'd expect the board to have at least added it to their list.

Probably quite a short list?
Moss Farm - but if we're tennants then it's not a great option.

And errr...
SJD, Mid-Cheshire College, the Grange have the only other green spaces not being built on.

Winnington Park Cricket Club might object to losing their ground at the rec.
The 3G pitch at Moss Farm will be for football only and will be enclosed by a fence, just like the current artificial pitch down there.
There is all the derelict industrial land behind Moss Farm on Winnington Avenue which would be ideal, if more houses are not to be built on it.

Winnington Park Cricket Club might object to losing their ground at the rec.
The 3G pitch at Moss Farm will be for football only and will be enclosed by a fence, just like the current artificial pitch down there.
There is all the derelict industrial land behind Moss Farm on Winnington Avenue which would be ideal, if more houses are not to be built on it.
You're joking about the Cricket Club, right? They have played at the rec for almost 150 years! I should think they would feel a tad stronger than just "objecting" against a football pitch being built on their square! :eek:

You're joking about the Cricket Club, right? They have played at the rec for almost 150 years! I should think they would feel a tad stronger than just "objecting" against a football pitch being built on their square! :eek:

Northampton fc shared a football and cricket ground for years and that's not cobblers and Bramhall lane was also a cricket pitch up to the 70s. cricket and football are played at different times of the year.look at google map satalite and look how much space there is to build a stand on the side no need to go on the square at all

Last edited:
I'm not saying this sort of thing doesn't work, to the contrary I've been to many places with Witton where a cricket pitch is on the door step of a football ground and it seems to work well. I just can't see how it would work at Winnington Rec specifically, surely to make room for a football stadium would mean knocking down the main club (which is used by the cricketers, snooker players and used for various other social functions) and looking at the google map referred to by blade1874 the bowling greens would have to go too. Also would everyone walk to the games (the car park currently holds 30 odd cars)? I'm no land planner but it looks like it would need major redevelopment rather than just putting a stand on the side.

I think I need to point out I don't mean a permanent home. Build a stand that we can take with us when the time is right but to me it as to be better than winsford for the next 10 years and a win win for us and cricket if all went well then maybe a permanent home after all.

I think Blade1874 meant Winnington Park Rec Club not the cricket ckub currently used by a few junior sides. It has two 11 a side pitches and I think space for a small sided pitch ie 7 a side. Curently owned by CWAC. Has a run down "social club/hall" backs onto Moss Farm.....would be big enough..

I think Blade1874 meant Winnington Park Rec Club not the cricket ckub currently used by a few junior sides. It has two 11 a side pitches and I think space for a small sided pitch ie 7 a side. Curently owned by CWAC. Has a run down "social club/hall" backs onto Moss Farm.....would be big enough..
Yes I know where you mean and that seems more logical

That would be Winnington Avenue Youth Club (formerly Winnington Lads Club as us oldies would know it).

moss farm has to be the logical place, There is plenty of room burrows hill side, the cricket club and rugby clubs are there why not a football club.
Not as easy as all that but more than do-able.
Maybe CWAC will build a ground and rent it to us for the same rent as Chester pay.....................

This is where I mean http://www.wprc.co.uk/p/find.html . build a stand on the bowling green side. toilets bar hospitality football pitch changing rooms already there bowling green would have to go but if approached with a offer look how much more revenue us being there would bring compared to a few bowlers

Don't know Josh have been meaning to find out, Rumour is its not much but it is rumour.
I would actually like to know.

Winnington Avenue has my vote in this debate. A similar project to FCUM where we get a ground and the adjacent land gets still used by WAYC. Refereed there a few time, it backs on to Moss Farm without imposing on their facilities.

This is where I mean http://www.wprc.co.uk/p/find.html . build a stand on the bowling green side. toilets bar hospitality football pitch changing rooms already there bowling green would have to go but if approached with a offer look how much more revenue us being there would bring compared to a few bowlers
Think the bowlers at the Winnington Rec and throughout Cheshire might not agree with you there....

Back