• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 News Widnes match information

Warning: it's brutal

Edit: looks like it's been taken down

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Couldn;t make it yesterday (along with Virgil Cane) But I feel free to add my twopennerth to the debate as others do on this forum. We clearly are not getting the rub of the green. 2 ridiculous penalties, 1 offside goal, 1 goal following the ball going out of play on the far side and a clear hand ball in the build up to the 4th goal.

Yesterday was a disappointing day for sure.

The first half I thought 74 played reasonably well, we passed the ball around good enough, Widnes didn’t threaten our goal too much whilst our attacking options didn’t really threaten the Widnes’s goalkeeper apart from one chance from Kamoy McNair which he should’ve scored, 74 were definitely in the game going into halftime.

However in the second half was completely shambolic, the goals we conceded were comical & embarrassing even at amateur level or even a kick about with your mates never mind at semi professional level.

Unfortunately I do believe there has been a knock on effect from last season, I’m not saying it’s the entire previous managers fault because that’s not fair on them whom worked hard during tenureship at the club however everyone saw the warning signs at the back end of last season & clearly due to a number of reasons those warning signs haven’t been addressed accordingly.

The sad reality the club is facing is the fact we can’t financially sustain ourselves at step 4. This isn’t anyone’s fault it’s just the reality of modern day football we face, it costs a lot of money to run a football club at any level but obviously the higher up you go the more money you need to spend and unfortunately for 74 we don’t have that luxury.

Somebody mentioned about 74 players being cherry picked which is somewhat true, our better players will obviously jump ship to go & play for a better team for more money at a better facility ground & truthfully I don’t blame them. Without a major financial investment we are limited as a club what we can achieve which is presently a step 5 club.

Everyone continuing to blame Bow and Goodie when the results are now directly comparable.

The squad has been completely overhauled, there's hardly any of the players left from under Bow and Goodie and results are worse.

From the sound of the post match interview yesterday, Damian has already offered to quit.
Didn’t hear / see the post match interview. Where was that posted
Couldn;t make it yesterday (along with Virgil Cane) But I feel free to add my twopennerth to the debate as others do on this forum. We clearly are not getting the rub of the green. 2 ridiculous penalties, 1 offside goal, 1 goal following the ball going out of play on the far side and a clear hand ball in the build up to the 4th goal.
Archie - if you were there yesterday then you’d have seen that the first pen was as obvious as the nose on my head. Was too far swallow to make a judgement about the second, but there wasn’t many protests from our lads. The other goals were just keystone cops, particularly the one when we tied to play it out from our own 6 yard box, a’la Manchester City.

Sorry Craig, this just isn't true.

Whilst it's true that we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, there are teams in the playoff spots spending the same as our budget.

I’m not sure how that would work, if a play off team are paying the same as us why can’t we attract the same quality?

I suspect teams such as Prescot & Avro are paying more then suggested.

It’s possible they could be punching well above their weight but sooner enough the financial aspect will play its part.

Can you give it a rest please. What are you trying to achieve?
I think he's trying to provide some balance to what seems like a slightly weird witch hunt against the former managers (who imo also were 'let go' too early and deserved until the end of the season whatever the outcome)

In terms of the subject of being able to financially sustain ourselves at this level, the club has shown that it can compete. The team that got us promoted to this league was more than good enough and we comfortably held our own in mid table in our first season. Last year was more of a struggle but we managed to stay up after making a strong start.

The problem we had was we started losing key players and the previous management simply didn’t replace them and address the issues we had, particularly going forward. We just kept going backwards and you could see the decline but nothing was done about it.

No doubt we do have a low budget but other teams also do and are doing well. I know a Linnets fan who said their team operate on a tight budget and yet they are regular play-off challengers. With a good set-up and team and manager who can get the best out of the players, a lot can be achieved. We have also had a boost the budget scheme which should have helped.

Bemoaning the budget and saying the team can’t compete at this level is for me an excuse and a bit of a kop out and rather self-defeatist. As a club we should strive to play as high as possible while of course remaining financially prudent. No reason why both can’t be done.

In terms of the subject of being able to financially sustain ourselves at this level, the club has shown that it can compete. The team that got us promoted to this league was more than good enough and we comfortably held our own in mid table in our first season. Last year was more of a struggle but we managed to stay up after making a strong start.

The problem we had was we started losing key players and the previous management simply didn’t replace them and address the issues we had, particularly going forward. We just kept going backwards and you could see the decline but nothing was done about it.

No doubt we do have a low budget but other teams also do and are doing well. I know a Linnets fan who said their team operate on a tight budget and yet they are regular play-off challengers. With a good set-up and team and manager who can get the best out of the players, a lot can be achieved. We have also had a boost the budget scheme which should have helped.

Bemoaning the budget and saying the team can’t compete at this level is for me an excuse and a bit of a kop out and rather self-defeatist. As a club we should strive to play as high as possible while of course remaining financially prudent. No reason why both can’t be done.
How do you know that they weren't trying to replace the players leaving us??, it was said a number of times by Wayne in the newsletters that attempts to add new players was often derailed when one of the first questions those players asked was "how much would I be getting paid" (or words to that effect) and that's were it went wrong because we don't have the budget to get those type of players, the boost the budget scheme would have helped a bit but it was introduced too late to make a difference for them to really use it before they left, I'm pretty sure Linnets home support is 200-300 more than ours which means more income, although I don't know what else they do in terms of additional fundraising such as 300 clubs or raffles etc I'm 100% convinced their budget is significantly better than ours

The team that got us promoted to this league was more than good enough and we comfortably held our own in mid table in our first season. Last year was more of a struggle but we managed to stay up after making a strong start.

The problem we had was we started losing key players and the previous management simply didn’t replace them and address the issues we had, particularly going forward.
The team that got us here from the counties would be top half if not challenging for the playoffs easily - would expect naturally our budget was lower in those days as well, compared to now.

Last year, we struggled purely based on our style, look at the team we had on paper and where some of those players ended up at. Irlam, J Woolley, Liam Buckley & Kenzie alone. Walked into much better teams than ours ever showed capable of last year - yet even when we had these, we struggled.

it was said a number of times by Wayne in the newsletters that attempts to add new players was often derailed when one of the first questions those players asked was "how much would I be getting paid" (or words to that effect) and that's were it went wrong because we don't have the budget to get those type of players, the boost the budget scheme would have helped a bit but it was introduced too late to make a difference for them to really use it before they left

Look at DC since he’s come in, every signing has improved the team in some form and nobody can disagree we are in a better position, the difference? He’s actively on the hunt to bring players in to improve. 2/3/4 forward players in a couple of weeks, yet how long did it take the previous management to bother to sign a striker??….

Onto the boost the budget. I’m sure Gobo point blank said that they wouldn’t be using the extra boost the budget early doors? - I remember a number of people stating off the back of this, they would withdraw their pledges as what’s the point in pledging if they weren’t willing to use the extra funds… I think they liked to hide behind the “small budget” excuse personally. I’ve said time and time again, you don’t need a big budget to try and play good football or to give it a go. We were just so lucky for years under them we had a goal scorer like Scott McGowan - was constantly creating things from nothing and we took that for granted for years. Take his goals away, where would we be now, likely in the midlands with Vics.

AVRO’s budget is not much different than ours. And look where they are in the league and the crowds they get…

Feel for DC as hes come into a very difficult position, but saying we're not financially able to compete is a cop out from some quarters, not DC as far as I'm aware! Others do it, agree the catchment area maybe slightly different but DC got the job on merit and would imagine contacts, taking the financials as they were so was aware of the situation. Perhaps its a bigger job than he anticipated and he's no longer confident he can get it to a sustainable level to keep us up? If not then it begs the question would he continue if we were to go to the Midlands league (unthinkable I know but a stark reality as the job now is close to impossible), therefore if he isn't prepared to stay we would be better equipped by allowing him to walk away and put someone in place to plan for next season as well as trying to save us, just my thoughts so please don't shoot me!

How do you know that they weren't trying to replace the players leaving us??, it was said a number of times by Wayne in the newsletters that attempts to add new players was often derailed when one of the first questions those players asked was "how much would I be getting paid" (or words to that effect) and that's were it went wrong because we don't have the budget to get those type of players, the boost the budget scheme would have helped a bit but it was introduced too late to make a difference for them to really use it before they left, I'm pretty sure Linnets home support is 200-300 more than ours which means more income, although I don't know what else they do in terms of additional fundraising such as 300 clubs or raffles etc I'm 100% convinced their budget is significantly better than ours
I wonder why DC has been able to come in and sign all these new players and Woolley and Jonah did with McCann, yet the previous managers struggled to bring anyone in.

As has been said, the side we were promoted with from the counties and the team from last season was more than good enough to compete at this level. So our struggles in the second half of last campaign and this season have to be put down to the previous management rather than any budget limitations or inability to compete financially in this league.

Teams such as Hanley, Avro and Vauxhall can all come into this league and hold their own, so no reason why we shouldn’t be able to.

Everyone keeps forgetting, we finished 1 point above the relegation spots last season.

I’m not forgetting.

The team we had in my opinion was better than that. The managers didn’t get the best out of the players.

Sorry Craig, this just isn't true.

Whilst it's true that we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, there are teams in the playoff spots spending the same as our budget.
100% true mark.

These issues were long coming when there was a total abject failure from Goodison and Bowyer to address the obvious issues we had over 12 months ago.

Reactions: Ben
Back