• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Widnes 1-0 1874

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
Well, after good 1874 turned up for the last couple of games bad 1874 turned up for the final match.

A Jekyll & Hyde season closes with a 6th defeat in 7.

Well, after good 1874 turned up for the last couple of games bad 1874 turned up for the final match.

A Jekyll & Hyde season closes with a 6th defeat in 7.
My description of our performance in that game was anagrams of a 🐟 and a 🦅

CARP AND SHAG

Not much to say other than we were woeful today and a big disappointment after last three games.
Score could have been 4 or 5 nil to Widnes if they had taken their many chances but for some good saves by Shea Callister and poor finishing such was the difference in performance.
Can’t think of much we did right. Far too passive and conservative (apart from last 10 mins) second to most balls, shocking passing out of defence and no attacking presence.
Not sure what our tactics were other than being very negative.
So a disappointing end to the season , such a shame we didn’t turn up for our fans - not for the first time.
Will need a big change for next season or I can see us struggling again. And I think 4 go down.

I thought Widnes are a poor side, but they were better than 1874 today which says a lot about our performance. To have only one real attempt on goal in the 90th minute is simply not good enough! A lot of 74 fans left the stadium disappointed today.

Having said that, the team have done very well to to stay in the league despite losing 6 out of the final 7 games of the season and I have to give a great deal of credit to the team management for getting us through this season with a relatively young and inexperienced squad

It is clear for all of us to see that the squad needs to be improved in certain areas for next season starting with a recognised number 9 as a striker. I am sure the the team management know this all too well and hopefully we will see some good additions to squad during the summer.

Agree with all of the above.

Why were Widnes fans singing "we are staying up"? I thought they will be involved in the play offs.

Not much to say other than we were woeful today and a big disappointment after last three games.
Score could have been 4 or 5 nil to Widnes if they had taken their many chances but for some good saves by Shea Callister and poor finishing such was the difference in performance.
Can’t think of much we did right. Far too passive and conservative (apart from last 10 mins) second to most balls, shocking passing out of defence and no attacking presence.
Not sure what our tactics were other than being very negative.
So a disappointing end to the season , such a shame we didn’t turn up for our fans - not for the first time.
Will need a big change for next season or I can see us struggling again. And I think 4 go down.
Only two down next season, as the league is being increased to 24.
4 down the season after.

I would have preferred Hanley and Newcastle Town to go down rather than Ramsbottom and Colne as I much preferred our trips to deepest Lancashire than ghastly Staffordshire.

Thanks for that info Chubbs. I wasn’t sure how many were relegated next season.

Very poor today again I’m afraid. Widnes much the better team and some good saves from Shea and poor finishing stopped them winning by a few more. Widnes a poor side but we weren’t better than them and you’d think we were fourth from bottom.

Seven defeats in eight games not a good end to the season and those three wins at the start of February look crucial now.

Yes we’ve stayed up but only one point off the bottom four in the end, so a little too close for comfort. A season that started so promisingly with some notable wins against Clitheroe and Macc and that at times saw us flirt with the play-offs ended in disappointing fashion. Less points than last year and a lower league position, so in that sense no progress.

Another season at this level which is good but a lot of work to do over the summer to strengthen the squad, especially in the forward areas or it will be another relegation battle I fear.

Another season done & dusted

The game yesterday wasn’t great by any means nor was the performance but I’m not going to be too critical on the lads considering it’s the final game of the season. (Plus I’ve said enough over the past few weeks so I don’t want to spread too much negativity 😆)

I hope everyone has a good summer your support throughout the season has been great & I will look forward to seeing you all again.
As we’re aware there will be a supporters meeting sometime soon where we can bring in ideas to help 1874 progress both off & on the pitch.

I will also look forward to seeing the improvements Wayne & Paul brings in to the team, I’m sure they know where the improvements are needed so let’s wait & see what becomes of it.

Once again have a good summer & take care.

Craig

#WeAre74

I would have preferred Hanley and Newcastle Town to go down rather than Ramsbottom and Colne as I much preferred our trips to deepest Lancashire than ghastly Staffordshire.
Colne have horrible fans Tony, glad they've gone and I hope Widnes go too as I have no intention of going to that dreadful place again.

Back