• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

What a shambles that was...

ste

Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Do we never learn from the hoofball that we tend to play? Where is our movement? We were totally outplayed tonight and i really don't think they were the better team.
They were more organised and played it simple or to the wingers which we still hadn't learnt from up to the 90th.
Don't like picking out individuals but I've always said we've taken a backward step when we got rid of Conkie.

The lovely attacking and passing football that was dismantling teams a few weeks ago has gone.

Yeah, Greg had a howler, but let's not let that take away from the fact we were out played by a better team. We didn't deserve to win that.

We were playing such good football, and now looks like the hoofs back. Shame.

Credit to Liverpool, look a good team. Got to give it to Mike White, he knows how to organise a team.

Pointless to blame individuals Imo, we win and lose as a TEAM and we weren't good enough tonight and I'm sure Greg wont be feeling great about his own performance the same as everybody else on the pitch tonight wont be happy with themselves and so we just have to accept that we were crap tonight AS A TEAM and move on.

I didn't go tonight so I can't comment on the performance, but I think we need to put the result into some context. It was our first league defeat in ELEVEN games and we remain TOP of the table. As for Greg Hall, it sounds like he didn't have the best game tonight but then we all have our off days. There have been other games when his fantastic saves have kept us in it at times, as was the case against Runcorn Linnets.

If Tom Bailey had put that chance away near the end we come away with a point - it's a game of fine margins.

Now is not the time to overreact, we certainly weren't getting carried away with 10 unbeaten in the league.

As it stands we're still top so we move on and go again Saturday. Credit to AFC Liverpool who were very organised and took their chances well, they've got some very talented players.

We gave them the game tonight if we had put decent pressure on the back line they would have buckled
Not good enough and again 4 subs
Need a matty Ward and to win some second ball
Better crowd but not a good performance which is a real shame
Hate to see white walk off winning
Very disappointed

Thought we started slow but then got into the game after about 15mins and started to look the better side till gregs blunder!
Second half we started getting caught down the left hand side over and over.
Two main defenders missing tonight and sadly the replacements looked well out of their depth at this level!
Didn't think afc looked that great but they have a pacey outlet that we didn't and they are hard working and close down quickly which we didn't.
Hopefully we will learn and progress from this and Greg will finally learn that when he has to clear it quickly....put it out for a throw-in not up the middle!!

It was not Greg's best game but I think he is still well in credit. We had a relatively weak and inexperienced defence, which does not help. It was disappointing to see Greg lobbed twice but the first should have been sorted by the defence before getting to him and the second was with us pushing hard for the equaliser - I would be happier if he did not go so high up the field. The other goal he dropped the ball - quite unusual for him.
I thought they deserved the win tonight and fought harder than us for more of the game. It is a shame they try to cheat so much and how good it was to see the ref not be conned by their no 8 and book him for diving. Now, if only he had then booked him for kicking the ball away he would not have been able to score the first lob! Lobs look so easy but how often do you see them go in at this level?
We just need to give Barnton a hammering on Tuesday and get back to winning ways, and yes it would be good to start that by beating Padiham but I don't think that is so important.

Credit to AFC - worked their socks off closing us down, stopping us playing & we didn't have the quality to break them down.

Greg has a really poor game, but we didn't lose because of him. We lost because we couldn't break down a team defending deep with a really organised two banks of four. Much like the Barnton first game, and the Darwen match which took us until 80 odd minutes. The only difference here was Liverpool had players up front to punish us for it.

..............................Don't like picking out individuals but I've always said we've taken a backward step when we got rid of Conkie.

Ste, absolute nonsense... Greg is a far better keeper than Conks (although he was pretty good also)

When Goalkeepers in general make mistakes, they tend to lead to goals so the mistakes are amplified, I bet you can't tell me one keeper who hasn't made a mistake that has led to conceding a goal.....

For what it's worth, the first was a great finish by the number 7; Greg had to come out of his area to sweep up a through ball and his clearance fell by chance to the AFCL player.... but what a great finish, cool and composed..... the second was a great shot, which Greg did well to get down to in the first place, but couldn't hold it..... and the third was a circumstance of the game.... but to say we have taken a backward step is absolute nonsense.....

I though AFCL were organised and marshalled well by the man we love to hate; they played simple football and after scoring the first defended deep making it difficult to break down..... I would agree that we didn't play well, but give some credit to AFCL for not letting us play our game.....

See you on Saturday......

Just a quick note to say that Mr Roy Mainwaring was taken to Leighton Hospital, and as of 10.15pm last night was being treated for a suspected fractured hip. Roy, and my grandad who was with him as always at our home games, wish to pass on their gratitude to everyone who showed concern and assisted following his fall. I will keep you posted as and when I hear anything further. Thank you.

Re Roy, I was with him to assist in the accident, trust all goes well if the problem is the hip !, as your Grandad will confirm, I have heard of many excuses to not want to watch a match but Roy came up with the best yet !!. As your Grandad will also confirm the best rumours always came from Roy, so get well soon and keep me up to, date with same !!.

Unlucky, not good enough, or just a bad day at the office.

A bit of all three I thought. Yes Liverpool deserved to win though it pains me to say it. They had good periods in the first half and scored, but so did we, but we didn't score. Unlucky because had Tom's shot in the second half gone in after 70 mins or so I could have seen us winning it. Then this thread wouldn't have started as it did.

I thought there were some excellent performances from Mark Jones, and Matty Russell and I thought Corey did really well in difficult circumstances, but I do think there are one or two that are just not good enough. A great strike from Scott for our goal as well. We all know what happened for their goals so I don't think I need to comment.

We must remember though we are still top and had key players out last night through injury and suspension. So let's not beat ourselves up and stay positive. There is still a lot to look forward to and a league to win.

As said before I thought the referee was really good last night.

Right. Hindsight - eh. I thought Liverpool played to our weakness's.
Constant balls to the wingers which left us wide open.
Greg, i was probably a bit harsh - sorry but why come out towards the half way line all the time? Is it a secret tactic or something? It doesn't work ask Conkie. Keep it simple and leather it out instead of trying to be fancy.
Hope this was just an off day that all teams have. I've faith in us bouncing back Saturday COYG.

Until we get away from this "high ball" nonsense of football we will be humiliated as last nights result will show, Mickie White and his lads played the game as it is meant to be, entertaining " on the deck," controlling and man to man football.

Well and truly beaten by a very good side who will be there in the title mix.

Didn't see any accident last night but hope Roy is OK
High ball has never been a good tactic for us
See you all Saturday

Back