• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Top of the League

I heard Colls are a very good side. There probably wont be many teams that go there and win quite comfortably like we did in the cup a few weeks ago.

I heard Colls are a very good side. There probably wont be many teams that go there and win quite comfortably like we did in the cup a few weeks ago.

Ended last season very well and kept the majority of players who were there last season scoring goals for fun aswell got a great chance.

This is your roving 1874 reporter from an enjoyable Colls 2 v 1 Padiham match tonight.

Colls were coasting by half time 2-0 with everything coming from their left wing. A good unchallenged headed goal by Battersby from a cross from the left and then a penalty when the left winger cut inside a was brought down by what I thought was a good tackle and a corner. They didn't really complain that much so perhaps everyone saw something I didn't. It was easily converted.

Then after half time Colls seemed to go to sleep a bit and allowed Padiham to get back into the game and the duly scored a good goal from a quick free kick and a headed cross. Padiham continued to have chances right up to the last seconds but they couldn't quite get the draw they deserved. On the break close to the end Colls missed an open goal to put it beyond doubt, but it really went down to the wire.

With a good performance we can beat both of these teams. Colls are obviously more of a threat, and with Brad Cooke not playing tonight looked a bit thin in midfield sometimes but Battersby who played well in the first half but was missing, literally, in the second half, is still a big threat. Padiham had the Colls defence really rocking towards the end and they have two good forwards who gave Colls a hard time.

See everyone tomorrow.

Hi Alan.

I assume you have now seen all of the top 6 or 7 at least once. I was wondering who you feel is the best/strongest out of all of those sides? I know you want to say 1874 ;) but I was looking for your view on the sides apart from your own.

The best side we've played so far was WD&C in a 2-2 draw, but I know you beat them convincingly, with them then beating Runcorn Town as convincingly! The only team that have been clearly better than us was Town but they caught us on a really bad day with players injured, suspended and at the V festival!

It's so up in the air it's unreal this season. There is always, and I mean always, a team that starts like a runaway train. Colne did it last season, we did it the 2 seasons previous, Town the year before, Rammy before that and so on. It's great for everyone associated with the league that this year looks set to be wide open!

Still to see probably both our biggest challengers, Bootle. Their recent results have been impressive, it seems they are spending to money from their tenants wisely.
Of the rest like you I have been impressed with West Didsbury. Their plan against us fell apart in the last few minutes, but they are well organised in the defence and broke very well. Exactly what I saw when they beat AFC Liverpool, who continue to be up one minute and down the next. Colls are better going forward, but I felt last night lacked the usual "beef" in midfield which is usually provided by Brad Cooke who was missing last night. Their defence was really shaky when put under pressure and that was evident last night and when they lost to AFC Liverpool.
As I said on your forum, Linnets will be up there at the end especially with your home advantage, the crowd. We are usually louder away than we are at home and sometimes that is reflected in our play. The difference with us this season is that we play right to the end and persevere just like you used to do! Hopefully that will carry us through.
It really is a great league this year, and maybe there have been better teams in previous years, but for competitiveness this is the best for years!

Top 5 in no particular order Imo will be Colls, 1874, Bootle, Linnets and either WDAC or Runcorn Town

Well done Josh I think everyone could do that. Is it spiky that fence you are sat on!!

Put them in order.!! Oh and by the way that's top 6

Not being sarky, just realistic.

They are just the teams that I think will be in the mix throughout the season lol

I think you have put them in the correct order Josh although I do do think West Didsbury will not make the top 5.
I of course wish the top two will be the other way around but only time will tell.

A pretty crushing fact about Bootle is that they've got Dean Porter in goal (us last season) and Ryan Cox & Steve Jones in attack (both with us half of last season).

In 9 games Cox and Jones have scored 20 goals between them. 20 goals, 9 games, 2 players! Makes me so happy that Joey Dunn decided to drop Cox for the rest of the season after he scored 6 in his first 3 games for us!

Wow! What a game tonight Maine Road 5 Bootle 4. This is your roving 1874 reporter again from a rain sodden Brantingham Road. A great result for us but watch out Maine Road are to be taken note of.

I'm not going through all the goals but suffice to say all but the penalty, Maine Road's goals were passed! yes passed into the net. (Thank's Mark for pointing that out) The forward running and passing of the young Maine Rd team was something to see. Having said that, after being in front at half time 4-2, Bootle came out and had most of the play in the second half and played some good football themselves. But Maine Rd just about held on to the lead.

Bootle probably felt they deserved at least the draw, from the possession, but some of the young Maine Rd lads were on their knees by the end and with their quality, especially first half, I think they probably just about deserved the win. Oh and the young full back was brilliant again!! For those that remember him from last year.

See everyone tomorrow!

Thanks for the report, Alan. Another good result for us at the top of the table. I'm certainly wary of Maine Road though, as they've proved a little bit of a bogey side for us in recent seasons.

Thanks for the report, Alan. Another good result for us at the top of the table. I'm certainly wary of Maine Road though, as they've proved a little bit of a bogey side for us in recent seasons.
Their last three games they've scored 6,6,5 now.

Back