• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Top of the League

Alan Riding

Too much time on my hands
Jul 31, 2013
Went to watch top of the league, Irlam, last night at Barnton. They haven't lost since January, but I don't know how?
If Barnton had more ambition they could have won the game. Their TWO holding midfielders rarely got up with the forwards, and one of them hardly moved out of the centre circle. Both Irlam's goals were very fortunate. The first hit an Irlam player running through as Conks was coming out and the second was a huge deflection on a free kick. Josh Crofts was Barnton's most dangerous forward but lacked support.
Irlam's game was based on organisation, strength and was very workmanlike. They have the stocky centre half from a few years back who cleaned up most things at the back and a goalkeeper who made some decent saves but was awful on crosses.
For me when we play them I would play Bailey on the wing and Scott up front. Don't give the centre half anyone to mark or contest headers. (we did this a couple of times with success with Brandon).
I don't really think either of the teams will be in it at the end but you can see that Irlam can grind out results.

I also don't think the South division is as strong as the North one.

I also don't think the South division is as strong as the North one.
We'll take that Ben you can only beat what is in front of you. We could grumble about travelling distances and costs but we'll just get on with it as always. Oh and we'll represent our town in the FA Cup! :singing:singing:singing

Colls beat AFC Darwen tonight 1-5 away from home still early days but they've got a great chance this season and a settled squad from last season no not betting on it ;)

So today's day out was at Atherton Colls v AFC Liverpool. A great result for us with Liverpool taking it in injury time 2-1.

In an even first half, there were chances on both sides. The game really was quite open and with Liverpool kicking down the hill second half it didn't look good for Atherton in the second half. The second half again had lots of chances with the majority coming Liverpool's way. They put Jason Carey (ex Linnets,Formby and Glossop) on as a substitute at half time to add to Freddie Potter (ex Linnets) and Emini Adenbengro (ex Formby) up front. Always threatening the were rightly awarded a penalty on around 70 minutes. Mickey White stepped up and tamely shot at the goalkeeper. It was a long ball that Potter took in his stride, rounded the keeper and placed into the net. The referee barely added another minute on before it was full time.

Battersby was quiet for Colls today and didn't offer that much however they had Rhys Nevin on dual reg from Ashton United who was very lively indeed., Liverpool were always more of a threat and justifiably won the game at the death.

It my programme notes on Saturday I said this year is wide open and today was further evidence of that. Both of these teams will be around the top a the end of the season, but I do say that Liverpool will concede too many goals. On this evidence we can do it this season with consistent results. We will lose a few more along the way but we need big results against these sort of teams, starting Wednesday!! See you there.

It has been a very open start to the season this year but that isn't totally uncommon. This league isn't won at this time of year it cam usually be lost, although it does seem that you can afford to lose a few early on this year stay within touching distance. This time of year is always a nightmare for clubs with lads on holiday, squads unbalanced from pre season, new players coming in who aren't getting games elsewhere etc etc.

But it's been proved so many times that you start putting a title challenge together from October onwards. We had lost 5 matches by mid November last season, more than the previous 2 seasons in total. But we then went on a very long winning streak. That's how you win this league. You need to be within touching distance in January then go on a very long streak of wins with just the odd draw chucked in.

For me, once everything had happened to us Colls have been favourites. And I still stand by that. They went on a very long run last year until we beat them so are capable of that sort of form. Liverpool will likely be too inconsistent but being honest you guys are very inconsistent as well, or have been in recent years. You will need to sort that to have a chance.

The big unknown this year is Runcorn Town. I was shocked at their side when we played them. They weren't great but are very physical, strong, pacey and direct. You won't of seen a bigger team in our league and they throw everything into set pieces. That is a recipe that works very well at this level, it's exactly how Glossop and Norton played when they won it. Be a good game between you both on Wednesday.

And you never know, we also have a habit of dragging ourselves into title challenges when everyone writes us off! It's gonna be an exciting season!

Hi Steve, quite a fair resume. We need to be consistent as you say. It will be very interesting this year and haven't seen Runcorn Town or Bootle yet.

Just one unbeaten team in the league...... West Didsbury! Seen them extremely well organised team.

Last edited:
Some decent results for us from tonight's games

Congleton 0 Linnetts 0

Squires Gate 2 AFC Darwen 3

West Didsbury & Chorlton 2 Bootle 4

Some decent results for us from tonight's games

Congleton 0 Linnetts 0

Squires Gate 2 AFC Darwen 3

West Didsbury & Chorlton 2 Bootle 4
Not sure the last one is good for us but certainly the first two. Can't believe Darwen beat Squires Gate.
Linnets captain, Kyle Hamid sent off for them tonight and will be banned for our game in just over two weeks time.
So wide open this year, that's the last unbeaten record gone tonight with West Didsbury.

You lucky sods not having to play against Kyle! Best midfielder in the league and has moved up a gear since becoming captain, although he can be a bit hot-headed as shown tonight!

Looking forward to our game, always enjoy them!

Ste
Are you buying the beer this year
Is the pub by the ground still open
All the best

Back