• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

The New Year

James Wood

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jun 1, 2017
We end 2023 in 20th spot with the ‘R’ word very much in our minds.

Looking at our situation all is far from lost though. We still have 18 games to play and given that only 2 clubs go down we still have the opportunity to close the gap on those other clubs who are around the relegation zone.

February and March will be key to our chances of survival as we play Trafford twice, Newcastle, CoL and Hednesford at home and Vauxhalls away - on paper all winnable games.

To stand any chance of staying up I think that we need 40 points - 24 more than we have at present.

So effectively we’ve got to win 6 and draw 6 of our remaining fixtures.

Let’s not beat about the bush. This is a huge task, particularly given our recent form and current lack of firepower up front.

I’m sure that he’s more than aware of this, but this issue has to be Damion’s top priority.

If we don’t solve this problem then frankly our goose is well and truly cooked.

So if there is any money left in the ‘boost the budget’ kitty, IMHO this is where it needs to be targeted.

In other words, to get the points we need, we are now going to have to play like a team at the top end of the league.

The way I see it is that we need to start having more of a goal threat, otherwise we can forget about avoiding relegation. We desperately need to sign a striker who is a proven goal scorer at our level but that will come at a cost which we can ill afford unless the manager is able to produce a rabbit out of the hat.

Time to get one or two good loan players in, me thinks

In other words, to get the points we need, we are now going to have to play like a team at the top end of the league.

The way I see it is that we need to start having more of a goal threat, otherwise we can forget about avoiding relegation. We desperately need to sign a striker who is a proven goal scorer at our level but that will come at a cost which we can ill afford unless the manager is able to produce a rabbit out of the hat.

Time to get one or two good loan players in, me thinks
Win 6, draw 6 and lose 6 and that’s the 24 points we need. So I’d argue it’s mid table form we need, not necessarily top of the table.

But yes, it’s obvious we need to increase our firepower significantly - either through the current squad members finding their shooting boots or by new faces supplying the goals we have so far lacked this season

Yes it’s obvious where we need to improve and that’s having more of a threat up front and scoring goals.

No doubting we’re in a difficult situation and face a real fight to stay up but it’s not impossible to get out of. Far from it. Here’s hoping for a better 2024.

Happy new year all!

Back