• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Stats question

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
If a player sat on the bench & didn't come on then does he count as being an 1874 player?

Not sure how this is normally handled.

And quiz question...
Which 3 players were on the bench in our 1st season but never came on?

Edge,how I record the players on the bench is if they come on I put them on as used sub,and the one going off as subbed player.The ones not used the only record I have is in the write up of the game.

Nice to see someone reads them, Edge!
The line I have taken with stats is that if someone (like those three) is on the team sheet for any league or cup game then technically they have played even though they don't get on the pitch. I think that's the same anywhere.
I don't count friendlies as 'appearances' for anyone or include those goals in player stats.
Incidentally I define 'friendlies' as properly organised games, usually pre season, that are advertised in advance etc. I don't include those hastily called ones at eg Middlewich that are basically training when the scheduled game has been postponed.
Anyone got any other questions as to how they are collected and recorded? Feedback and suggestions always appreciated because if it is set up properly at the beginning it will last and after only 3 seasons it's still possible to tinker with the system fairly easily. Each new season makes such a task bigger.

I'm for 'on the team sheet' = a player. Non-playing members of a squad at eg World Cups still get a winner's medal, even if they never play or are never named as subs.

I'm for 'on the team sheet' = a player. Non-playing members of a squad at eg World Cups still get a winner's medal, even if they never play or are never named as subs.

I think this rationale may be used as a quiz question going forward...... Which player has won two premiership winners medals without playing a single game?........ sure Toddy will know (or does he not care about Premiership football?!)

I think this rationale may be used as a quiz question going forward...... Which player has won two premiership winners medals without playing a single game?........ sure Toddy will know (or does he not care about Premiership football?!)
It's Schwartzer, but it's not because he didn't qualify to win them, they were bought for him by his team bosses!

Isn't that the ex-Arsenal & City keeper Richard Wright?

And if we count the 3 players that didn't play have we had 100 players now?

Simon you got that right about the Premier League,I could't care less.Also agree with you Mark,if they don't play they are not a recorded player.

I think the Richard Wright case gives us a definite answer.
On the website of the Associate of Football Statisticians (£20 a year to join btw) a search for Wright shows his stats..

http://www.11v11.com/players/richard-wright-2192/
Nothing shows for the last few seasons so I'll include the mystery 3 players on the team sheet, but not count them as 1874 players.

But if someone was an unused sub in a cup tie they would then be cup tied for other teams that season so no diference whether you actually get on or not. Also, merely by being an unused sub they have influenced the game via team selection before the game and during the game as their presence gives the manager options even if the options chosen don't finally include him.
** Toddy - if you want the stats I keep then message me with your email address and I'll send them. Currently stored in 4 Excel files.

Are you sure you're cuptied if you're an used sub @Pete? I thought you need to come on

But if someone was an unused sub in a cup tie they would then be cup tied for other teams that season so no diference whether you actually get on or not.
No they wouldn't!

EDIT: The actual FAC rules are 15 e&g:

"A player shall not play for more than one Club in the Competition in the same season."

"A substitute who does not play in a match is entitled to play for another Club in the Competition in the same season"

The FA don't consider an unused sub having played. Does that answer the original question too?

Last edited:
To confirm the criteria for recording players in the 1874 Northwich FC Heritage List which appears each year in the Annual Season Review.

All players who appear on a team sheet, whether it is a competitive game of a friendly game, are allocated an initial number in order of their first appearance on the sheet.

Once a player appears in a competitive game, either league or cup, he is then allocated a Heritage Number denoting the order in which he made his debut.

A player who only plays in a friendly game is allocated an initial number but not a Heritage Number and is marked on the list with a F.

A player who is named on the team sheet as a sub for a competitive game but does not play in the game is allocated an initial number but not a Heritage Number and is marked on the list with NPS.

A player who has only played in a friendly game and has been a non playing substitute in a competitive game is allocated an initial number but not a Heritage Number and is marked on the list with NPS/F.

If more than one player makes his first appearance, in any of the above categories, in the same game the player wearing the lowest shirt number is listed first.

After last Saturday’s game against Barnton:

118 players have appeared on a team sheet,

91 players have played in a competitive game and been awarded a Heritage Number,

15 players have only appeared in friendly games,

5 players have only been non playing substitutes in competitive games,

7 players have played in friendly games and have been non playing substitutes in competitive games.

Hope this answers some of the questions raised.

Pete I don't do e-mail,but I would be interested in seeing your stats.

Toddy, for clarification - are you still using a quill and ink on animal skin? ☺
Seriously I can't think of a sure way of getting it to you without an e-mail address apart from printing 20+ pages.
The only suggestion I have is that you Google 'guerillamail' and get a temporary address (they only last a few minutes unless you want to extend it an hour (?) at a time. Quite safe and whilst you have the address eg [email protected] I send the files for you to keep on your computer or whatever you have. You can then keep updating any that interest you after that.
We would need to be online at the same time. If we can fix a time I can talk you through it over the phone - 5 min max. Give me a couple of times when you are available and we'll fix one thats convenient and then message me privately on here with your phone number. Not sure I still have yours from when your relatives won the holiday.
Oh, and do you have enough blotting paper for home use?

Yes Pete I still use pen and paper all my records are kept in books(remember them)and are hand written.I was just interested to see if your's concurred with mine I'm sure they do_Oh by the way i do not have that newfangled blotting paper I'm still using the powder you shake on and blow off.

Agree with above that a player needs to actually put his foot over the line to be counted as "played" for a club.
I've always kept a record of non playing players just to remember them but never counted them as appeared until minutes are on the pitch.

To confirm the criteria for recording players in the 1874 Northwich FC Heritage List which appears each year in the Annual Season Review.

All players who appear on a team sheet, whether it is a competitive game of a friendly game, are allocated an initial number in order of their first appearance on the sheet.

Once a player appears in a competitive game, either league or cup, he is then allocated a Heritage Number denoting the order in which he made his debut.

A player who only plays in a friendly game is allocated an initial number but not a Heritage Number and is marked on the list with a F.

A player who is named on the team sheet as a sub for a competitive game but does not play in the game is allocated an initial number but not a Heritage Number and is marked on the list with NPS.

A player who has only played in a friendly game and has been a non playing substitute in a competitive game is allocated an initial number but not a Heritage Number and is marked on the list with NPS/F.

If more than one player makes his first appearance, in any of the above categories, in the same game the player wearing the lowest shirt number is listed first.

After last Saturday’s game against Barnton:

118 players have appeared on a team sheet,

91 players have played in a competitive game and been awarded a Heritage Number,

15 players have only appeared in friendly games,

5 players have only been non playing substitutes in competitive games,

7 players have played in friendly games and have been non playing substitutes in competitive games.

Hope this answers some of the questions raised.
Bloody hell Garry, I found second-order differential equations less taxing than the above! My head now hurts just like it used to 30 years ago when I was trying to fathom out how to do these complex 'sums'!

No-ones named the 3 "players" from 2013-14 yet either :)

Back