• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Rylands away 12-2-22

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
A 3-1 defeat to promotion-chasing Rylands.

Any reports from those that went?

After the first 10 mins after we were ruthlessly sliced open with ease I was thinking we could be on for a hiding. However we gradually improved and for long periods more than held our own. Would have been much closer but for a cheeky Rylands goal in the second half. Thought Markell Foulds our best player and deserved his goal. Good performance from Reed who worked hard and thought Irwin did well.
On the negative side many of our crosses were poor as was the final ball.
Rylands are a good side and I wasn’t overly disappointed today. Just a pity we can’t put in a performance like this at home which would have probably earned a few extra wins. But then I still blame poor tactics and team selections at home as the reason why we have been so poor.
Next weeks game is now really important.

Reactions: Ben
Can’t add much to what Briswa said. Rylands sliced us open in the early stages and raced into a two goal lead, but we settled down and grew into the game. For long stages we did hold our own and in the second half we had them on the back foot creating chances.

A bizarre third goal for us to concede and if we’d avoided that, then who knows, we might have nicked something. There have been worse performances from us this season. Got to remember that they’re third in the league and we did okay overall.

We’re on a bit of a bad run of results at the moment and are getting a little too close to comfort to them bottom spots, but hopefully the wins are around the corner and we can end the season with some good results. Newcastle away next Saturday is an important game for us. We really could do with winning that one. Up the 74!

Didn’t make it myself, but we need to be careful that we aren’t drawn by into one of the promotion / relegation play-off issues?.

“The Clubs finishing in third and fourth from bottom in each of the eight divisions at Step 4 at the end of the Regular Season will take part in Inter-Step Play-Off Matches against the Clubs finishing in 2nd position in each of the sixteen divisions at Step 5 to determine whether they remain at Step 4 or are relegated to Step 5 for the following Playing Season.”

Not sure if I’ve read this correctly but third and fourth bottom in every league at our level goes into a play-off match against a second placed team from Step 5?

So that leaves us only 4 points ahead of fourth bottom and 6 points better off than third from bottom.

Didn't the relegation rules change?
I think it's 2 down & not all 3rd bottom sides are in a play off

Wasn't there today but not really surprised by the result as Rylands are having a great season towards the top of the league, the next three games coming up are huge for us and we need to start winning games so that we don't get sucked into a relegation fight

Reactions: Ben
3 of our last 5 defeats have come against sides in the top 5.

Once again today, not much in it overall, just won by clinical finishing and a little extra edge over us.

On to Newcastle next week, big performance needed to get back on track.

“The Clubs finishing in third and fourth from bottom in each of the eight divisions at Step 4 at the end of the Regular Season will take part in Inter-Step Play-Off Matches against the Clubs finishing in 2nd position in each of the sixteen divisions at Step 5 to determine whether they remain at Step 4 or are relegated to Step 5 for the following Playing Season.”

Not sure if I’ve read this correctly but third and fourth bottom in every league at our level goes into a play-off match against a second placed team from Step 5?

So that leaves us only 4 points ahead of fourth bottom and 6 points better off than third from bottom.
Ben - thats exactly my reading of the rules. Hence why I posted the link.

I’m 100% certain that No and Goody have never been complacent about our standing, but we fans need to be aware of it so we don’t sleepwalk into a possible relegation battle!

3 points at Newcastle next Saturday will certainly help assuage these fears! So let’s get down there in numbers and chers the lads to victory eh?

Didn't the relegation rules change?
I think it's 2 down & not all 3rd bottom sides are in a play off
I was also led to believe several months ago that the two relegation play off places in all step 4 leagues had been suspended for this season only.

Having slept on it, I think there was some encouragement from yesterday's game.

Firstly I thought the score didn't match the amount of possession. We certainly had add least 60%. So when you take this into account they used the ball better than us. They were certainly more clinical with more shots on target and unfortunately two of those strikes resulted in goals in the first 15 minutes which set the tone of the game.

It was nice to see the management changing the structure of team in an effort to get back into the game and the pressure we were putting on them at 2-0 down on 60 minutes or so almost resulted in a goal back but their third really put it out of our reach.

A big shout out again for Jamie Reed who worked his socks off all the way through and again Big T with a couple of good saves.

A couple of other points, our free kicks and corners are all the same with Lucas most of the time not beating the first man. Variation surely will bring more dividends. The second point is that we concede far too many goals from free kicks and corners against us. We seem to set up ok but when the kick is delivered we are second to the ball all the time.

Another away day next week with a team around us in the league so a much more winnable game. See everyone there!

As I understand it, bottom two clubs down, regardless. So that appears to take care of Market Drayton and Kendal.

Third from bottom will take part in the promotion/relegation play-off should their PPG not be sufficiently good enough. As of last midweek our “candidate” was Prescot and their results had them safely above the threshold.
Edge posted this table in the NPL watch thread last week:

Attachments

• 80567866-0525-4722-8A6A-50FE9BBDA66A.jpeg
    80567866-0525-4722-8A6A-50FE9BBDA66A.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 11
And obviously our current PPG is better than Prescot. That said, it is interesting to keep a watching brief.?

The downside of us becoming embroiled in play-offs is that the Step 4 club has home advantage ???

Looking at our games remaining, I think we should be okay. The matches which will be key for us are Newcastle (A), CoL (H) , Rammy (A), Widnes (A) Market Drayton (H) and Kendal (A).

All six are against sides around us in the league. How we fare in these games will go a long way to deciding where we are at the end of the season I suspect.

The other matches are against play-off/promotion chasing teams. March looks a particularly difficult month away at Bootle, Marine and Leek and then two games against Trafford and Rylands at home in April and an away encounter against Mossley to end the season.

Last edited:
here's the thread from November when the rules changed - it's two down & only two 3rd from bottom teams from 8 divisions go into a play-off.

6 points from our remaining games would put us on 1.00 ppg. Even if every team in our league (barring Kendal and MD) overtook us, then we'd still almost certainly stay up on PPG. Especially since we still have the leagues bottom two to play.

We're in practically no danger of going down and any dreams of a late run to the playoffs are over. I'd like to see us having a look at more of the 21's ready for next season. Matty Fenton came in and did well against Glossop, lets have a look at some more of them.

My team for Newcastle ...discuss! If all available??

Big T in goals!
Koral, Fenton, Foulds, Russell
J.Wooley, Jonah, M.Wooley, Raeece Ellington
Kenzie
Reed

I would move Jonah up into midfield and let Fenton carry on at the back and give young Ellington from the under 21's a start to play in front of Matty Russell.Also play Kenzie off Jamie upfront.

Opinions!!!

I'm curious to see Henri, Joel & Callum that we signed on dual-reg but haven't featured.

here's the thread from November when the rules changed - it's two down & only two 3rd from bottom teams from 8 divisions go into a play-off.

Seems quite bizarre that the rules changed midway through the season! But at least it means that we won’t get embroiled in a relegation scrap.

A few more wins would be preferable to relying on the rules that govern relegation and promotion throughout the NLS

Back