• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Raheem Sterling

It's City paying the price for not having any home grown players. Joe Hart is their only Englishman in their squad at the moment so they have to pay through the nose.

Well said Paul.

We all know that money talks and the amoral behaviour and greed associated with today's game is disgusting.

Thank God we have 1874.

Last edited:
At few points. Bale still British transfer record I would think, Home grown doesnt have to be English Gael Clichy counts as home grown. As for Sterling City could get 10 years plus out of him. Take in account of inflation then Rooney's fee would be around £70m was that money well spent ?

The value of any player at any level is easy to calculate. He is worth exactly what someone will pay for him!
Before he even kicks a ball he will have repaid quite a chunk through ticket sales, replica shirts, sponsorship etc. If he sets up or scores one vital goal that wins a major trophy then he is soon into generating profit for that club. And, eventually, some resale value.
Like it or not the premier league is drowning in money and that is because it gives enough people what they want around the world!
Incidentally, was Jimmy Greaves embarrassed enough to decline some or all of that salary and cut of his transfer fee?

The value of any player at any level is easy to calculate. He is worth exactly what someone will pay for him!
Before he even kicks a ball he will have repaid quite a chunk through ticket sales, replica shirts, sponsorship etc. If he sets up or scores one vital goal that wins a major trophy then he is soon into generating profit for that club. And, eventually, some resale value.
Like it or not the premier league is drowning in money and that is because it gives enough people what they want around the world!
Incidentally, was Jimmy Greaves embarrassed enough to decline some or all of that salary and cut of his transfer fee?

Don't know the ins and outs of the deal but Jimmy Greaves is arguably Spurs's greatest ever player in a career spanning 10 years and scoring 220 goals in the process, arguably one of England's finest ever too. Will Sterling live up to those sort of stats? I doubt it. More importantly for me Greaves loved the club and as actual human beings the two are incomparable. I know which one of the two I would pay to watch and which one I wouldn't, personal opinion of course.

Agree with what you say totally, for me Sterling is overrated and still unproven in some areas. Just commentating on how one values players in this day and age.
Lots of people make strong comments about the wages and transfer fees at the top level. Much of that money comes from Sky/Murdoch deals but how many who criticise the costs mentioned above go as far as to not watch football on the tele? If people didn't watch it, Sky wouldn't buy it, firms wouldn't pay to advertise and so on. I feel many arguments about players wages and fees are a bit hypocritical. Wouldn't we all want to earn what we can whilst what is often a very short career lasts?
I moved jobs as career progression so i can't moan at other professionals who do the same.
It happens at our level as well - just with a few less naughts on the figures!

Agree with you Pete, I guess I'm hypocritical to a certain extent as I have sky tv and rarely miss a televised premier league game. I just don't feel I have any real connection with the premier league club I "follow" anymore though and the very rare premier league games I do get too I find the atmosphere is usually somewhere between average and poor compared to the "good old days". Its a very expensive day out although I do agree its a short career for the players, I just don't think Sterling justifies a 49 million quid price tag. Hope I'm wrong about him because we need young English players doing well to improve the national side, we were at one time the best in the world!

Wouldn't give you £5m for Sterling never mind £49m!

The quality that United have bought over the last few days for less total money makes the Sterling deal even more ridiculous.

Lots of people make strong comments about the wages and transfer fees at the top level. Much of that money comes from Sky/Murdoch deals but how many who criticise the costs mentioned above go as far as to not watch football on the tele?

Only one customer but I cancelled sky completely Pete for exactly that reason - no other.

Incidentally we are now paying half of what we were paying Sky. Last bill from Sky £107. First bill from BT £53. Result.

.............. and right at the bottom of the pile are people like me with just a talktalk freeview box. :(

Next time the forum goes quiet I'll happily put up the defence for the Premiership and its attractions as we watch both if someone else starts the thread.

The Sterling saga is just another reason not to watch 'top' level football and switch to supporting your local non-league team instead.

I'll keep you company at the bottom. :) Never had Sky and never want it.
Off at a tangent, I also never understand those who fork out for Sky etc and then complain about the £12/month for the Beeb

Just ask yourselves one Question,if you were seriously ill who would you want at you bedside a nurse or a overpaid footballer,who moans if he has to play two games a week.Saying they have a limited time playing does not hold water,£49000000 means £4.9 million to Sterling,then £200 thousand a week,you and I could retire after five years.If fans want to watch them play that's up to the individual but not for me,I prefer watching non-league and always will.

They are so different as an experience it's difficult to compare them. Both have things that are unique to their levels and there is a great deal of reward at all levels.
Take your point about a footballer if you're ill, Toddy, but if I'm well and want to go to a match then some nurse telling me I can't get out of bed is the last thing I need.

Just ask yourselves one Question,if you were seriously ill who would you want at you bedside a nurse or a overpaid footballer,who moans if he has to play two games a week.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of some high quality nursing care recently, I take your point Toddy.However you can't really put the two jobs in the same context; I don't think I'd be too confident in Rooney analysing my ECG results ( though I could be doing him a disservice), but I also have doubts over the nursing staff beating the off-side trap or producing a decent stepover. Horses for courses.

For all the comments on here do those watching after paying the nonsensical sums do they get the enjoyment that myself and others get from watching our own 1874, doubt it !!.

Reactions: Ben
Back