• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Promotion Run-In: The Stats

No change after todays games. Litherland gave Longridge a fright though.

No change after todays games. Litherland gave Longridge a fright though.

It’s the time of the year you don’t want to play teams down the bottom. Litter land and Burscough have seen an upturn in form.

187410 games left70 points100 points max
Bootle10 left5989 Max
Longridge12 left5389 Max
Rylands8 left6387 Max

Max of 18 points needed - but actually less due to the matches against each other.

Yesterday's win saw our PPG hit 2.50. As a comparison, the next best is Bootle's 2.11.

I really can't see anyone else reaching 85 (just one defeat and one draw for either Bootle or Longridge means they can only get to 84). So five wins from our remaining ten matches needed for the 't word' - although our far superior GD probably makes that just 14pts needed, in which case four wins and two draws. Looking once again at their run-ins it's inevitable that Rylands, Bootle and Longridge will all drop points in the coming weeks.

Let's secure 'p word' first though, then we can look beyond that! ;)

Anyone wonder what impact this coronavirus could have on things? Genuine question.

There's an update on the league website - https://www.nwcfl.com/news-articles.php?id=8171

As it stands nothing has changed & with our level of gates I don't think it will regarding behind closed doors or mass postponements.

The problems come when players start having to self-isolate;.Whole squads could be impacted which would lead to games being called off.
Think we're not far away from that, but I'm no expert.

Reactions: Ben
Here's the state of play ahead of this weekend's matches:

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 08.53.39.png

Ashton Athletic (fifth in the form table with three wins and a draw from their last six outings) versus Longridge Town (14th in the form table with one win in their last six) is the stand-out fixture. It's also worth noting that Longridge's one victory in those half dozen matches was a narrow one (3-2) against lowly, yet much improved, Litherland REMYCA last Saturday. ????

Rylands visit Congleton, while Bootle head to Winsford, so it could well be that certain individuals with a former allegiance to 1874 put a shift in against our promotion rivals and do us a big favour. ????

Let's hope we get to play the games. Premier League and EFL cancelled until at least April 3 because of the coronavirus. One can only imagine it's a matter of time until non league is impacted on, especially when you consider grassroots has been cancelled by the Scottish FA and all domestic games in Wales have also been hit.

All Cheshire FA County Cup fixtures have now been postponed until 3rd April.

Any decision to postpone league fixtures lies solely with the NWCFL management committee. Their announcement yesterday states there's no need to for the time being, but of course they're continuing to monitor the situation and follow the advice given.

The general consensus is that we're some weeks off the peak of COVID-19 cases in the UK (China said earlier this week that they've now passed their peak, but this originated there as far back as December).

I can see the Premier League and EFL suspensions being extended beyond early April as the situation worsens over the next three weeks. That is likely to then filter down to non league and grassroots football.

Frustrating - yes. An inconvenience - perhaps. Ultimately though, being able to watch live sport is secondary to the health and wellbeing of friends, family and colleagues.

Totally agree that health trumps sport and that it's probably inevitable our league will be impacted at some point. What implications do you think any suspension of the NWCFL and postponements could have on our title/promotion bid?

What implications do you think any suspension of the NWCFL and postponements could have on our title/promotion bid?

It depends of course on how long any suspension lasts and the subsequent time available to fit in any postponed fixtures, some of which may well be played behind closed doors. We're fortunate in that our league started that bit earlier than some and the most number of matches still to be played by a single club stands at only 12 (just Longridge, Irlam and Barlick). In theory - playing three games a week - that's just four weeks' worth of football remaining. Four games a week (as we faced in 2018) brings that down to three weeks. I therefore believe all league fixtures will be completed, it's just a question of when rather than if.

I reckon Euro 2020 will definitely be postponed until next summer. That will in turn allow domestic leagues across Europe to finish later than originally planned. Transfer windows will then be adjusted accordingly ahead of the 2020/21 campaign, which is likely to start later to allow a sufficient break.

It depends of course on how long any suspension lasts and the subsequent time available to fit in any postponed fixtures, some of which may well be played behind closed doors. We're fortunate in that our league started that bit earlier than some and the most number of matches still to be played by a single club stands at only 12 (just Longridge, Irlam and Barlick). In theory - playing three games a week - that's just four weeks' worth of football remaining. Four games a week (as we faced in 2018) brings that down to three weeks. I therefore believe all league fixtures will be completed, it's just a question of when rather than if.

I reckon Euro 2020 will definitely be postponed until next summer. That will in turn allow domestic leagues across Europe to finish later than originally planned. Transfer windows will then be adjusted accordingly ahead of the 2020/21 campaign, which is likely to start later to allow a sufficient break.
As usual Steve, you are bang on the money. Wise head on young shoulders.
I think we could get over the line if the league carries on for 3 more weeks depending on results and if the league allows.

Some reasoned debate here https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/...estions-as-to-how-to-sort-this-mess-out.1111/ regarding what the next move by the FA and/or NWCFL should be in resolving this season’s placings, assuming (as sadly looks likely) the league programme isn’t played out by the early Summer.:confused:

One of the suggestions is the following formula. For what it’s worth I don’t think it would make much difference to our current position, but it might be interesting to see how the final table might look? Anyone want to try and get their head around it?

C853DE88-BA0B-4014-9140-35FEF3CD64DE.jpeg

That's the sort of home-schooling maths question I could send to my 10 yr old grandson ... if I wanted to really annoy the hell out of him (and his mum).

Back