• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Prescot cables today

richard webb

I Live Here
Aug 7, 2013
Sorry, I forgot to post this. The pub info may not be right but the ground info has been checked with cables.

ClubPrescot Cables
Game DateSaturday 26th August2023
Game time3.00 pm
Ground addressJoseph Russell Stadium, Eaton Street, Prescot L34 6ND
Home coloursAmber/black shirt, black shorts and socks
Directions22 miles from Memorial Court over Mersey gateway bridge.
Take M57 to J2 and exit to A57 Prescot. At next roundabout take 3rd exit to A57 Prescot Town Centre (Ground is also signposted). Follow this for approx. ½ mile. Pass Dominos pizza on right and take next left into Hope St (Hope and Anchor pub). Ground is at the end of the street.
Parking facilitiesLimited at ground. On street parking. Pay and Display in the town centre a short walk away
Railway stationPrescot station (0.6 miles)
Admission Prices£11 Adults, £7 concessions and £4 children (u16s must be accompanied)
Programme priceDigital only – free.
Disabled access and toiletsAvailable
CarersAre carers for disabled fans allowed in free? Yes
Food at groundThere are two food huts at the ground. One serving German Bratwurst, hotdogs, and burgers; the other selling pies, hot drinks etc
Drinks at groundFully stocked licensed bar serving draught lagers, bitters and cider as well as a cask ale bar serving local brewery Melwood Beer Co ale.
Local restaurantsPinion, Poco Coffee and Bar, 3 x Chinese restaurants (Ho’s, Beijing, Sing Ping), Spice Chili Indian
Are dogs allowedYes
Local pubsCAMRA : The 2 pubs I would recommend are the Bard (57 High Street Prescot) and the Watch Maker (60- 62 Eccleston Street Prescot). The Bard is an independent micropub that is popular with Cables fans both before and after the match. The Watch Maker is a Wetherspoons pub that works with local breweries to make sure they have a decent selection of local real ales as well as the national beers they have to stock. Incidentally Prescot Cables also serve real ale in their club bar after the game.
JW points out the Bard may not open until 2pm Saturday but other possibilities are the Old Mill on Mill Street (Hydes Beers) and The Sun Inn (3 guest beers). On the way into town on Derby Road is The Clock Face, a large, imposing property with Thwaites beers and food.
Local places of interestPrescot museum has exhibits of the clock and watch making history of the town. Knowsley safari park is close.
AcknowledgementsIan Pye (St Helens CAMRA); James Wood; Richard Tigwell and Paul Goodwin PCFC

Well got what deserve nothing Absolutely awful don't think we had a shot all game

You are being kind Mark.
Very dispiriting for a faithful 1874 supporter and a very sobering watch.
Prescot were far superior and would have won easily except for 2 great saves by Ellis in goal , some resolute defending (apart from the late goal), and Prescots poor finishing. Lost count of the number of corners they had and the number of our passes that went astray. We Lost nearly every fifty/fifty ball and won few headers.
Basically we created nothing in midfield just seemed to punt the ball forward to our non existent attack.
Very poor performance and much more of this will see us in the bottom two very quickly. Feeling very pessimistic about our future at present.

You are being kind Mark.
Very dispiriting for a faithful 1874 supporter and a very sobering watch.
Prescot were far superior and would have won easily except for 2 great saves by Ellis in goal , some resolute defending (apart from the late goal), and Prescots poor finishing. Lost count of the number of corners they had and the number of our passes that went astray. We Lost nearly every fifty/fifty ball and won few headers.
Basically we created nothing in midfield just seemed to punt the ball forward to our non existent attack.
Very poor performance and much more of this will see us in the bottom two very quickly. Feeling very pessimistic about our future at present.
Your wording suggests the attack were useless. They got no service so I think that is a little hard. The back 4, and Ellis, did well as you say - how many shots did they block.? How many did Lucas put behind for corners? That is not criticism, I think he is doing well in an unfamiliar position. As to the bottom 2, we are third bottom and Hanley have a game in hand.

Just saying how I saw it Richard. You are right the attack got no service but they weren’t very good with just 2 decent efforts all game. From my point of view not a good game to watch. Very disappointing.

Fenton hit the post first half but apart from that nothing to crow about. We have no striker. No striker.

We have no striker. No striker.
Tomorrow marks the 12 month anniversary of Josh Quarless scoring his only league goal for us.
I believe that was the last time a recognised no.9 scored

I'll attempt a balanced view. Defensively we were decent, they pressed alot but most of the time we coped well. Offensively however I don't think we would have scored if we had stayed there till midnight! One up with no support just does not work.

I called the first sub at half time. On 60 minutes we will change a winger for a winger. On 60 mins that is exactly what happened, we are that predictable! We don't score so then in injury we get caught out.

Whoever is is up front need more support than we are giving. Noticed Josh Quarless scored again today, food for thought!

Backline the only ones who can take credit today, all solid enough through all the pressure they were put under.

Jamie Nicholson gets better every game. No service again for Jack up top.

Hope for better against Nantwich on Monday. Ps everyone bring a mate Monday, we need you 💪

Backline the only ones who can take credit today, all solid enough through all the pressure they were put under.

Hope for better against Nantwich on Monday. Ps everyone bring a mate Monday, we need you 💪
He works hard but the fact that we have Jack up front is a big issue imo he's just not a striker

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on performance but I always felt that this was going to be a long hard season when the squad was announced and so far it's proving that way but it's only been 4 games so let's hope something clicks asap

Fenton hit the post first half but apart from that nothing to crow about. We have no striker. No striker.
Might there be an analogy between Captain Rum of Blackadder fame and his view of the importance of having a crew compared to that of other captains and our situation in not having a true No 9? (as great a job that Jack is doing at present)

Doesn’t matter who plays up top Jack. They’ll get bugger all support. Sick to the back teeth of saying it.

Wasn’t there today but just to put a balance on it we’ve played the current top 3 clubs and almost snatched a draw today at Cables...had we done that I would have said we’ve had a good start. The top 3 will be up there at the end and Cables top half. Let’s us judge when we’ve played the 6 or so clubs that will be around us. COYG

Went to the game yesterday and there was nothing from 1874 to get exited about. We are impotent in attack. I cannot recall their keeper having to make a save. That is simply not good enough. Our defence played very well and kept us in the game. However, the constant pressure that they put us under and the number of corners we conceded ultimately led to us losing the game right at the end. The superb save by our keeper in the 2nd half was the only bright spot of a thoroughly depressing afternoon watching 1874. I honestly feel that 1874 are strong candidates for relegation this season if we can’t score goals to win games.

I genuinely think this is going to be a strange season results wise.
We are only 4 games in and some of the results throughout the division are not what you'd have expected.
I agree the evidence shown in your games so far suggest your defensively sound but scoring goals is a worry.
Unfortunately 20 goals a season players are not easy to come by.

Wasn’t there today but just to put a balance on it we’ve played the current top 3 clubs and almost snatched a draw today at Cables...had we done that I would have said we’ve had a good start. The top 3 will be up there at the end and Cables top half. Let’s us judge when we’ve played the 6 or so clubs that will be around us. COYG
Agree that it is still too early to judge and our defensive performances have been excellent since the opening day game. So good progress there.

But we are toothless in the final 3rd of the pitch and keeping all 11 players back at corners with no outlet ball options is just asking for trouble. Time and time again yesterday we cleared the ball front a corner only for it to come straight back at us. And surprise, surprise that’s how their goal eventually came about

That was a tough watch yesterday I thought our defence boys grafted given the work they had to do but inevitably conceding so many corners and free kicks brings on pressure so no surprise cables were going to get one which they thoroughly deserved.
Our midfield looked weak despite the efforts going on in there. Created nothing and Jack isolated when the ball went up front not in the game.
Unfortunately we don’t have a plan B so our frailty going forward means more of the same for us supporters.
We can only encourage the squad we have got and help them improve in confidence and performance as we wear the colours too.
A green shoot for Jamie Nicholson as he’s trying to make something happen
KTF Nantwich Monday, COYG

That was a tough watch yesterday I thought our defence boys grafted given the work they had to do but inevitably conceding so many corners and free kicks brings on pressure so no surprise cables were going to get one which they thoroughly deserved.
Our midfield looked weak despite the efforts going on in there. Created nothing and Jack isolated when the ball went up front not in the game.
Unfortunately we don’t have a plan B so our frailty going forward means more of the same for us supporters.
We can only encourage the squad we have got and help them improve in confidence and performance as we wear the colours too.
A green shoot for Jamie Nicholson as he’s trying to make something happen
KTF Nantwich Monday, COYG
Clutching at straws I know , but our forwards are not getting the rub of the green from the officials on those times when our attacking play looks promising. The offside decisions (at least 2 in the 1st half) were ludicrous - too many assistants react to shouts from defenders, instead of judging from when the pass was played.

Back