• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Prescot - 28/1/22

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not sure where to start.
The wind was bad, but same for both sides.

Prescot were quicker to everything & closed us down totally. Whereas our passing & build up was slow & sluggish.
It was only when they tired that we came into the game

As someone said on the way out - we lack a plan B

I'm not sure where to start.
The wind was bad, but same for both sides.

Prescot were quicker to everything & closed us down totally. Whereas our passing & build up was slow & sluggish.
It was only when they tired that we came into the game

As someone said on the way out - we lack a plan B
Awful.

I’ll leave it there…

Reactions: Ben
Yet another very poor performance at home. If we continue to play in this way at home we won’t win another game. Too slow and ponderous going forward. Four or five passes across the back or back to Tony and then a misplaced pass in midfield. It’s far too defensive a tactic when at home. A lone player trying his best up front. Will we never learn or change. I despair!!
We we’re only dangerous late on when Parker and McGowan came on.
Only player deserving credit was Tony in goal. Amazing save in second half.
It certainly won’t help home attendances when we play teams who don’t have much away support. Prescot support was excellent and they thoroughly deserved their win today. I’m only glad I am able to watch us away.

Just didn't understand it??

First half very difficult and would probably have taken the half time score in the conditions.

But in the dressing room at half time I would have put a circle in between their area and the half way line and told our defence to put the ball in there! It wasn't going to come back in a hurry and we would have had more possession in and around their goal which would have led to shots and goals! However we still put ourselves under pressure and tried to play out in those conditions?? Mystifying!

Oh well it's an away day next! We should win but if we don't I know I'll have a good day anyway!! See everyone next week!

Time to change the management team I’m afraid to say. We’ll never get good home gates losing to teams well below us. We do not learn from our defeats same plan and expect different results is madness to quote Einstein.

Simply not good enough I’m afraid today. That’s been the story all season at home. In 14 league games at Townfield, we’ve lost 9. That says it all, absolutely dreadful!

Prescot were the better side and throughly deserved their win. They didn’t look like a side in the bottom 3 but we did. Something has got to change at home. All very well winning away but that doesn’t get people through gates at home games the same and give us income. It was fortunate that Prescot took a large following today or that crowd wouldn’t have been anywhere near 380!

Very poor. Things need to improve.

Last edited:
Performances and results have been poor at home and they do of course need addressing, which I’ve put across in my previous post and so have others.

However we do still find ourselves in a mid table position and look set to achieve what surely was our main aim of staying up at the highest level we’ve ever played at and a noticeably better league in terms of standard from the counties. Not just that but we’ve been very impressive away from home, at times a joy to watch, losing just once. On the whole, I think we’ve adapted very well and found our feet from the start of the season.

So no we should absolutely not change the management. They’ve done and continue to do a fantastic job.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Obviously frustrated with our tactics.
And do you want to copy the spoiling tactics of teams like Prescot ? Pathetic gamesmanship (feigning injury, goalkeeper wasting time etc.) aided by an official who ignored their antics when a few early yellow cards would have been in order. Haven't seen the video ,but Jamie Reid's 1st half "equalizer" seemed to me to have been a fair goal. From 1 - 1 it would have been a different game.

And do you want to copy the spoiling tactics of teams like Prescot ? Pathetic gamesmanship (feigning injury, goalkeeper wasting time etc.) aided by an official who ignored their antics when a few early yellow cards would have been in order. Haven't seen the video ,but Jamie Reid's 1st half "equalizer" seemed to me to have been a fair goal. From 1 - 1 it would have been a different game.
Just on Jamie Reeds disallowed goal, as far as I’m aware once a ball is played by the foot or head of an opposition player you couldn’t be offside? Linesman disagreed clearly as their player headed it to Reed?

Also, a clear out stretched hand in the wall stopped Reed’s freekick in the second half which should have been given as a penalty

If both of these things don’t go against us we’re looking at a totally different game.

But lets give Prescot a bit of credit, I don’t like their antics, but I did like their work off the ball and the way they defended for their lives to keep the 1-0 win. I got the feeling we expected them to sit very deep and try just to counter attack but they pressed us from the front from minute 1.

Nice to see a strong following, not huge but more than we’ve had to us this season (bar Linnets) a good 50 of them and they we’re good people too?

On to Ramsbottom✊

I think we need to judge our team over all our games…not just handpicking home games where we have been poor. I think we have been poor in 6 of our 24 games to date….sadly all of them at home. The other 75% of our games we have been mainly excellent or mediocre. 4 out of those 6 poor home performances came in the first 7 weeks of the season and 2 of those games against top sides in Leek and Marine.
Our last poor home performance until today was at the end of November against Widnes and guess what…exactly the same awful conditions as today. It is clear our football style isn’t conducive with these conditions and we don’t have hoof ball in our locker. Prescott deserved to win overall today, they played the conditions far better and they are 5th in the form table and are improving rapidly….BUT … so are we considering where we were at the beginning of October. 23 points from the last 14 games is good progress, repeat that over the next 14 games and we’ll be very happy.
We have 5 home games left…4 against teams that are very beatable. Let’s get behind the lads and ensure we bag 4 home wins. The away wins will continue and we can then sit back and be proud of what we have achieved this season.
Excellent away support …upto 100 I thought today….they are 2nd to Runcorn in terms of away fans at townfield. It was nice to see considering we take 100+ everywhere we go. COYG

There has to be some correlation between our wretched home record and amazing away form and how the team is set up.

I think that our patient, build it from the back style and then counter attack serves us brilliantly away from home, but at home we are simply not aggressive or adventurous from the get-go and as a result this gives the away team
time to settle and organise and then we find it difficult to break them down.

If there was one bright spot yesterday it was the continued excellent form shown by Big T. IMHO - and that of quite a few others - he didn’t have a great start to the campaign but in recent weeks his form has been first class and he fully deserved his Motm accolade yesterday ??

Reactions: Ben
James is probably correct but whatever the reason we don't perform at home it needs to be sorted quickly 9 home defeats is just not good enough, it would be better if we had lost 9 away and won the home ones to bring in the crowds, it was not a good watch which is a shame as it was a great crowd helped by a good 100 from cables.
Big T did well again which is good to see,
Oh well on to Rammy and hopefully another away win fingers crossed.
See you saturday.

I am at a complete loss to understand why our form is so poor at home in contrast to our away form. Perhaps it is because we enjoy it more playing at proper football stadiums when away. Personally I am not a big fan of where we are playing our home games, but it is what it is. The pitch with its slope is not great and the facilities are poor. We will only advance as a football club once we achieve our ultimate aim of getting our own ground however that is achieved. Anyway thank god for our away form this season otherwise we would be fighting relegation.

Calling for manager’s resignations is bonkers…and slightly ungrateful for what has been achieved. The fact that we win away from home and not at home suggests either a psychological issue, or a tactical one. I’m sure the management team will analyse it and make the appropriate changes.

Time to change the management team I’m afraid to say. We’ll never get good home gates losing to teams well below us. We do not learn from our defeats same plan and expect different results is madness to quote Einstein.
Sorry David but I have to take issue with that statement. We have a Management team who have created a squad who are punching well above their weight considering the size of the budget they are working with. If someone had offered the position we find ourselves in three seasons ago we’d have snapped their hands off. This duo is building a future for the club, introducing under 21’s gradually into the first team, also identifying young prospects at Step 5/6 and organising valuable game time for them on loan until they are ready to step up.
I know losing at home so frequently is frustrating and disappointing, and yes that needs to change. But would we seriously swap our situation with the green lot down the road? Change of Management? Be careful what you wish for! ??

James is probably correct but whatever the reason we don't perform at home it needs to be sorted quickly 9 home defeats is just not good enough, it would be better if we had lost 9 away and won the home ones to bring in the crowds, it was not a good watch which is a shame as it was a great crowd helped by a good 100 from cables.
Big T did well again which is good to see,
Oh well on to Rammy and hopefully another away win fingers crossed.
See you saturday.
9 home defeats is not good enough…agreed but we have performed in some of our home games but not had the rub of the green in some…For the record..here goes :-

Kidsgrove - lost - poor performance
Kendal - won - good performance
Leek - lost - mediocre performance
Marine - lost - mediocre performance
Newcastle - drew - mediocre performance
Bootle - lost - poor performance
Colne - lost - mediocre performance
Ramsbottom - won - good performance
Widnes - lost - very poor performance
Mosley - won - excellent performance
Clitheroe - draw - good performance
Runcorn - lost - good performance
Workington - lost - good performance
Prescot - lost - poor performance

Inconsistency yes but not as bad as some make out…all a matter of opinion of course. Factoring in the quality of some of the opposition I think we are being abit hard on ourselves…we are improving, the squad is stronger than we started with and we are mid table even with these inconsistencies at home. Let’s finish off with 4 home wins from 5 and a top half place. COYG

Here's Wayne's thoughts.

Back