• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

PAUL STOCKTON

Very sad to hear the news about Paul having passed away. In my eyes, Paul was Mr 1874 and he will be sorely missed. During the time I served as a board member, I got to know Paul well. I witnessed at first hand as to how dedicated he was to the club and how he led by example. He was always the voice of reason and very well respected. He will be a tough act to follow. I want to personally express my deepest sympathy to all members of Paul's family. We will never forget Paul and I am sure that everybody connected with the club is extremely grateful and thankful for all what Paul did for our club. Would it be great if we could win the FA Vase for Paul this year. That would be a fitting epitaph but if that wasn't to happen, let's still make this season the best one yet in memory of Paul as he was one of us and we are 74. R.I.P.

Last edited:
Extremely sad news. A lovely man and great chairman who loved his football and this club. He always had time for a chat and would say hello at a game. He will be sadly missed . My thoughts are with his family at this very sad time. RIP Paul.

Very sad news, my sincere condolences to his family.
Its a pleasure to have known and worked with Paul, such a genuine gentleman, a truly inspirational man, nothing was ever too much trouble, always performed above and beyond the Call of Duty. He'll be sorely missed, RIP.

I think that the greatest service that Paul did for this club was when the club was first formed he was verbally attacked by others and being the astute and diplomatic individual he was he didn't respond but continued to be a figurehead above the fray whilst cultivating local football, political and business contacts all of which have ultimately borne fruit for the benefit of our Club.

Fred Dibnah used to say "Did you like that" and in Paul's case we certainly did and we and our club are much better for his stewardship.

Last edited:
There is nothing more I can add to the tremendous posts of rightful respect shown to Paul, other than to say I know following many comments and messages received today amongst the players, that they too feel the loss. Paul often took special time out to discuss the future with some of the more senior players for them to pass on his wishes and ambitions and they all really respected him for this and his sincere commitment.

So sad to hear this dreadful news. Though I was an infrequent visitor to the matches he never failed to speak to me. How fortunate were '74 to have Paul at the helm. Nothing I can add that hasn't already been said about a genuinely lovely top guy. Condolences to his family, RIP Paul.

Our thoughts and condolences are with you all having heard the news of Paul's passing. It was clear from our visits that he was a man with a strong passion for football and for his club, going regularly above and beyond the call of duty.

He always gave us a warm welcome and always went the extra mile (quite literally in insisting on taxiing us to our accommodation from the Beer festivals!).

Was pleased to watch his involvement on a match day when our club Sheffield United finally pulled their finger out and sent over a youth side for a pre-season friendly, welcoming us, as ever, in the friendly fashion we'd become used to from your club.

Football at all levels is enhanced by the likes of Paul and whilst I'm sure he'll be a huge miss, his name will live on with the club he's worked hard to help build so far continuing to go from strength to strength.

Our thoughts are with Paul's family and friends.

RIP Paul.

I simply cannot thank Paul enough for what he's done for the club since our formation 5 yesars ago, he will always be apart of 1874 and the important thing for us to do now is to make him proud up there taking the club forwards.

R.I.P Paul Stockton

#HeIs74

It seems a long time ago now that I had the honour of being on the Trust Board with Paul.
Those times were not easy for many reasons that no longer matter but throughout it all Paul was always sensible, supportive and had so much patience and commitment.
Blessed with a good sense of humour and incredible commitment and energy his attitude was never 'could we' but always 'how do we'!
Looking back, if ever someone was destined to lead the Trust from where it was then to where it is now, it was Paul. I feel very sad that he could not have led the club further on its journey back up the pyramid but long after the sense of loss has eased his memory and legacy will live on.
There are not many people who genuinely leave a legacy that can go far into the future but Paul has achieved that and hopefully it's something that will provide his family with comfort at this time and pride in the future.
Thanks for the memories Paul.

Nice that Paul was mentioned before the Alty game today.
Yes I thought that was a fine tribute to lots of footballers & non-league people, including Paul, who have passed away during 2017. Well done to everyone to respectfully applaud the announcement from the Altrincham FC pastor.

Nice to see 1874 fans there too - and a good game in atrocious conditions - and a terrific result for Witton.
GE

Back