• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Newcastle away

Massive win for us today. Much needed.

Not the best game but we deserved it and were the better side. If it weren’t for their keeper denying Jack with a good save it could have been more comfortable. Newcastle were poor and I can’t recall Ellis having anything to do apart from the save off the offside. Solid again in defence which is another positive.

Hopefully push on from here now and it gives us confidence. We’ve got to win that ‘mini league’ with teams like Newcastle, CoL, Hanley, Vauxhall etc and I think we should be okay. A good start in that battle.

Hoping for another win and a bit of FA Trophy prize money next week at CoL. Up the 74!

Glad to win

Was it the same BS one up front?

If so I’m afraid to say our joy will be short lived

Was awful game to watch but don't care 3pts is 3pts just wish we sign a centre forward

Agree we need an experienced striker. Jack Irlam is doing a job for us up front, but he is not the solution. Today was still a tough watch with not that many chances created. However, we again defended well and a win is a win against a poor Newcastle Town side. Hopefully, this will will give the lads some much need confidence.

Last edited:
Very welcome win but a terrible game to watch.
I’m afraid I saw nothing to give me any encouragement. Can only hope the players get some confidence from this win.
Defensively very good again with Jonah and Matty F in control. However going forward a different story - nothing memorable. Only 1 save of note for the Newcastle keeper and am fairly sure that was going wide. If it wasn’t for their keeper’s mistake for the penalty we would all be coming home complaining about another boring 0-0.
Just find it difficult to see where the goals are going to come from.
But it’s nice to drive home following a victory.

Congratulations and well done to every player who represented 1874 Northwich FC today.
Its was hot out on that field today and everyone involved worked tirelessly to come away from Newcastle with a result.

It might not have been the prettiest of football, dont forget there is another team out there doing their best to stop us playing, but sometimes you just have to graft out a result.
The squad are slowly finding their feet, rebuilding is not an overnight job. Its extremely difficult to bring in experienced performers or 20 goal a season strikers, but you can be assured it is not for the lack of trying.
Throughout the season we will win some, lose some and draw some.
Well done for today, good luck for next week, stay positive.

Yes nice to drive home with the 3 points, defence solid just need to find a decent forward from somewhere but a wins a win, hopefully get a win in the Cup next week.

Agree we need an experienced striker. Jack Irlam is doing a job for us up front, but he is not the solution. Today was still a tough watch with not that many chances created. However, we again defended well and a win is a win against a poor Newcastle Town side. Hopefully, this will will give the lads some much need confidence.
A poor Newcastle side that have just taken 6pts from their last 2 games before today.

Very welcome win but a terrible game to watch.
I’m afraid I saw nothing to give me any encouragement. Can only hope the players get some confidence from this win.
Defensively very good again with Jonah and Matty F in control. However going forward a different story - nothing memorable. Only 1 save of note for the Newcastle keeper and am fairly sure that was going wide. If it wasn’t for their keeper’s mistake for the penalty we would all be coming home complaining about another boring 0-0.
Just find it difficult to see where the goals are going to come from.
But it’s nice to drive home following a victory.
You said that you saw nothing to encourage you but then you praise Matt F and Jonah. And what about Ellis who I thought was terrific.

It wasn’t a mistake by their keeper that lead to the penalty either. Jack was played through, he took it round him and was brought down

Very picky James
As far as I am concerned the keeper made a mistake by bringing Jack down.
Yes Matt and Jonah played well but they generally do. There was nothing else I could see to show improvement in the way we play. A poor game with little excitement. Still pleased we won.

Very picky James
As far as I am concerned the keeper made a mistake by bringing Jack down.
Yes Matt and Jonah played well but they generally do. There was nothing else I could see to show improvement in the way we play. A poor game with little excitement. Still pleased we won.
Very picky?

No praise for Ellis??

Yes there is a lot about our current style of play that I have concerns with.

But after the Ossett and particularly the Kidsgrove game the side has looked far more compact and difficult to break down.

It ain’t pretty or thrilling but maybe that’s a result of the side now gelling together after a summer of significant change.

Certainly with a spine of Jack/Sam, Woollley, Jonah, Matty and Ellis we seem stronger, more robust and resilient.

One swallow and all that, but these are exactly the type of games we need to win if we are to stay up

So me being picky?

Think that you need to take a look at yourself!

A few things to take away from yesterdays game:

3 points is all that matters
Yesterday’s win was almost a carbon copy of the 1-0 win we achieved at Newcastle in our debut season at this level. A single goal, not much else to shout about for either side and a solid defensive performance.

A tweak to the system?
Its been hotly discussed recently about what system we do play, however yesterday there appeared to be some differences, at times when Sam Adetiloye pushed further up it looked almost like a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4. The intent is there to address the lack of goals.

Jack Irlam. Cold as ice.
The pressure Jack must have felt when he put that ball down on the spot, knowing how much we needed to take the lead (for the first time since opening day against Kidsgrove) it really mattered and then for us to defend it and deservedly earn the win. He’s not a number 9 and did superbly yesterday, again. Unfortunate not to score in the 1 on 1 with their keeper but a brilliant save by their keeper.

It wasn’t pretty yesterday, but I didn’t expect it to be. Lets push on now and hopefully confidence will be high in the team and a win in the FA Trophy next Sunday would be brilliant and much needed. After what I saw when he came on yesterday Dayo Adekoya looked very tidy on the ball and was a handful for their defenders, a start for him can’t be far away.

Up the 74 👊

If some people can’t be happy with a win then I’m not sure watching football at this level is for them.

Great result given some of Newcastle’s wins so far this season.

Let’s not forget that we also played very well against Stalybridge and Chasetown - it’s not all doom and gloom.

Yes, we do need a striker, but being able to entice someone who’ll get 20 goals a season for us isn’t easy.

Onto next weekend and hopefully a cup win to build some momentum.

We've had about 15+ new payers come in and so it is a significantly changed team that is just a fact

There were 2 players in the starting 11 yesterday that are new to the club this season.

Reactions: Ben
Back