• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

New Widnes Bridge Opening

Geoff K

Nov 26, 2013
Regarding our game at Widnes on Saturday - Not sure if people are aware that the new bridge is scheduled to be opened just after midnight on Friday 13th ( no, not a joke). Details can be found on the 'Mersey Gateway' website under 'News'.
As I understand it, the old 'Silver Jubilee Bridge' will close just before the new one opens so matchgoers on Saturday will not be able to use this bridge. The new 'Mersey Gateway Bridge' is tolled from the start, so cars crossing will be recorded/ photographed / videod and you have to pay ( £2 per crossing) before midnight the next day (online)? or may receive a substantial fine! I have registered as I use the bridge quite often and have a video detectable sticker on my car windscreen.
Perhaps Vicky could contact the Widnes football secretary or the Mersey Gateway 'pop -in centre' in Runcorn for more advice/details ?

As I understand it, the old 'Silver Jubilee Bridge' will close just before the new one opens so matchgoers on Saturday will not be able to use this bridge. The new 'Mersey Gateway Bridge' is tolled from the start
More broken promises, it was only supposed to be toll from when both bridges were open....

Having read the Halton.gov website the information Geoff K has given is correct. Trip via Warrington is an alternative to avoid the toll but give yourself a liitle more time for your trip because Warrington can be a nightmare on a Saturday!

Warrington is an alternative route but as Andy says it is nearly always very busy. I reckon you should at least make the return journey over the new bridge for posterity - tell the grandchildren that you crossed the new bridge on the opening day - maybe tell them that you actually opened it !!

Is there any coincidence between them opening the bridge on Friday night and the mass exodus from Cheshire to watch the match at Widnes on Saturday. They know how to maximise the payments don`t they? We`ll probably end up paying for half of it! Anyway why isn`t the new Forth road bridge been made a toll bridge and why has the toll been taken off the Severn Road Bridge - Just another example of the Northern Powerhouse I would imagine. Rant over see you tomorrow via the M6 if it`s open.

Trip via Warrington is an alternative to avoid the toll but give yourself a liitle more time for your trip because Warrington can be a nightmare on a Saturday!

If that’s the way people are going avoid the Town Centre. You might make it in time for the second half of you don’t.

I WILL NOT cross these tolled bridges, it is an absolute disgrace that they are tolled....Northern Powerhouse my ar*e"!

I have to say, the bridge was empty when we crossed twice but I never saw the signs of how to pay until I searched online... A lot of people are going to get letters through the door - surely they haven't done it on purpose to pay for the bridge this year..... No , they wouldn't

Back