• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Much improved.

Blackie

Too much time on my hands
Aug 5, 2013
A lot better performance v Lairds tonight.
New guy woods linked up well with Jackson and deservedly got the MOM award.
Nice to see Wardy back on the pitch and getting stuck in.
Two well constructed goals and trying to play football on a surface not really suited to it!
Lairds down to 10 men just before the first goal, should have been down to 9! :mad:
Bit confused why we took off woods and Jackson when they were causing so many problems, but happy with the changes that had been made to the starting line up....looked better balanced all round. :).
Well done all :scarf::scarf:

Looked better at the back today. Still no midfield, and still had beadle stood upfront on his own.

I wouldn't say it was a much improved performance, we just did enough to win but its infuriating how we just switched off after we scored our second goal, they were there for the taking tonight and we should have give them a hiding but we're far too soft and have no killer instinct

I can guarantee that Colne won't have a problem giving us a hiding on Saturday if we're not 100% switched on

Last edited:
Compared to the last few games, that was a better performance from us. Defence was a much more solid than it has been and did cut out a lot of mistakes that they've been prone to making in recent games. Ben Woods had a good debut overall, grew in confidence as the game wore on and was probably MOTM. DT also had a good game, had good awareness, good positioning and won the ball back whenever Lairds were attacking.

Going forward, we were also better and caused Lairds plenty of problems at the back, we very often had players making runs, giving options, when we had the ball in attacking positions, something I think we have lacked recently, where we've had Beadle being isolated up front.

I thought Wardy was better and I think that was due to taking Brandon out of midfield and allowing Ward a more advanced and central role in midfield, where he has the most influence on a game and was getting on the ball a lot more which is something that was needed, given he had been on the quiet side in games this season.

All in all, a good evening for the '74.

Much improved performance tonight well deserved mom for Ben
That team will give colne a good game , no hiding!

I wouldn't say it was a much improved performance, we just did enough to win but its infuriating how we just switched off after we scored our second goal, they were there for the taking tonight and we should have give them a hiding but we're far too soft and have no killer instinct
Positive as usual I see, Josh. We won ;)

200 Attendance on a cold and damp Tuesday evening wasn't bad either.

Oh! and Witton got beat as well at Clitheroe

Last edited:
It isn't often I agree with Josh but I do on this occasion. We went 2-0 up (a very dangerous lead according to Cloughie!) against 10 men, then proceeded to just play tippy tappy football for the next 35 minutes. They were there for the taking and a 5 goal win would have taken us above West Dids.
We are now playing for fourth or maybe third in the league but we need to kill teams off and be far more ruthless in the final third.

A lot better performance v Lairds tonight.
New guy woods linked up well with Jackson and deservedly got the MOM award.
Nice to see Wardy back on the pitch and getting stuck in.
Two well constructed goals and trying to play football on a surface not really suited to it!
Lairds down to 10 men just before the first goal, should have been down to 9! :mad:
Bit confused why we took off woods and Jackson when they were causing so many problems, but happy with the changes that had been made to the starting line up....looked better balanced all round. :).
Well done all :scarf::scarf:
Spot on Blackie!
Really good to see Ward have a good game. Much needed.
Agree a bit with Chubbs also in that with 2-0 advantage both Wooley and Ward then sat back on top of the defence for periods. Want to see more of George Riley also, he can create things to happen.

I'm still not convinced we have everything as it should be. The biggest issue from last night for me was second half as Ward kept dropping too deep with Chappie & Woolley pushing up. It left massive gaps between defence and attack making it difficult to link up through the middle.

Having said that, I thought it was the best performance in months from the team and a million miles from what happened at Squires Gate.

Wardy had his best game since I can't remember when(!) and the perfect cross for the goal from the new full-back is something we haven't seen since Tandy was here!

Bring on Colne!

I'm being deliberately hard on the lads because I know how could they really are and if everybody was being honest with themselves they would admit that we are well of the pace this season, of course we CAN beat Colne but we need to be 100% better than we have been if we're going to have a chance

It was 2-0 against 10 men, but it was far far from convincing. For a lot of the game it was tap tap tap along the back 4, hoof forward and then loose it. Repeat cycle. It was almost as if when it was 2 we were happy with that, rather than put the pressure on a 10 man team, bag some goals and get some confidence back!

1 up front. 1 up front in the NWCFL. We all see that when we play 3-5-2 were unstoppable, and why all see when we play that formation we played last night we struggle. Yet, that's the style that keeps getting played.

George Riley on the bench seemed weird, everyone has agreed on how good he's been, any reason he was on the bench?

We've all seen how good this squad is, but the style of football being played recently is negative - maybe the reason something doesn't seem right is the fact that the players might not want to play the style they're being asked by the management.

Back