• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Message from Ian Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki England

Too much time on my hands
1874 Official
Jul 31, 2013
Message from Ian Street

On behalf of myself and assistants Paul Bowyer and Stuart Tulloch I just wanted to say that we are incredibly disappointed in our recent performances and everyone should know that we are and will be doing our utmost to get ourselves back on track.

We are determined to get back to the level of performances that are acceptable to everyone involved at our club.

I have written this and asked Vicki to post it on the forum on my behalf because I think its beneficial for me to not read some of the negative comments that are probably on there already that could prove a real distraction to the job I have to try and do.

The players are really hurting and know that they are letting themselves down and need to greatly improve if they want to continue to represent our club, some are proving not to be of the right make-up both on and off the field and those changes will be made, I have asked Vicki to serve 7 days notice today on 4 players that hopefully will improve us should they choose to join us.

We all understand that everything is based on results and those need to improve but at this key period a bit of patience is needed.

Before that though the performances need to be stronger and better, it isn’t a time to be panicking, just remember how far we have come already and under difficult circumstances in such a short space of time.

We will need everyone to get behind each other if we are to keep moving forward, there are 35 league games to go as well as important cup games and we have no divine right to win any game of football at this level.

It’s easy to support a team doing well all the time and the criticism is fair enough but the real supporters are there when lads need to be picked up after a defeat or a difficult period.

We all have to dust ourselves down, push the pain to one side and stand up and be counted..!

A great response Ian. Thank you

Can we post this statement on the official website and not on the unofficial forum?

Vicki - thank you for posting this message from Ian.

As it looks like Ian is not reading the forum - understandably, if we want to show him and the players that we are behind them, the best way to do it is to be extra vocal in our support at all games starting Wednesday.

See you in Crosby and bring your voices with you!

Vicki, can you thank Ian for getting this message posted... if he did read the forum, then he would see 95% (no pun intended!) of the fans are behind him and the team... interesting to see he is looking at bringing a few more in (and presumably a few out)... who would be a manager of a football team!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Alan - I'm an advocate of using our website first (Mark will tell you that :) ) however his message is in response to comments made on a separate thread on this Forum, which he has become aware of. Therefore his message back, has gone on here.

Ian will not be viewing the Forum in the future, he has enough to do with managing the playing side of our club. Ian and I have agreed that in future, feedback will be by Q&A's on the Club website or by a Meet the Manager evening.

I am personally completely disappointed by some things I have read and heard however Simon and others you are correct, there is a lot of support out there and understanding that we have come a long way in a short space of time and we should be thankful that we have a strong management team to drive our brilliant club forward.

Onwards and upwards folks

Brilliant as ever Mr Street.

Play Beadle from the start and we will be alright ;-)

Shake it off everyone and move on!

We have a title to win!

I agree that it is commendable that Ian has responded on this forum; I find it very helpful to hear his frank views and not just the stuff you read in programmes about how well we are doing , the opposition will be tough etc - understandable but little to set the world on fire.
It is a pity that Ian has given up reading the forum as there is much more supportive posting than negative.
Any manager who cares enough to argue with the referee as I saw on Darwen TV gets my 100% support .
Think of Pellegrini on MOTD - a bit of passion goes a long way!

Many thanks Ian. The majority of fans are behind you and the team.

Ian is extremely passionate about the club and wants us to do well all the time. We won't perform 100% every game, we won't win every game but I don't think we have a bad record in our short history. The expectation is high amongst many supporters but I can tell you that Ian sets his own high standards and should they not be reached, he will work very hard to get back there. And that goes for our players too.

Ian and his management team have built the playing side from nothing and have attracted players to wear our shirt, who could easily play at a higher level. They enjoy playing for 1874 fans and have a huge amount of respect for Ian and that keeps them in the green. However if they are not performing then he will make the difficult decisions.

I agree that supporters are of course, entitled to discuss their club on the independent forum and there can't and won't be moderation (unless something libellous is said). Just as supporters have always done in the pub. However I have absolutely despaired at the title of another thread on here. I am thankful that the majority of supporters have gone on to show support to Ian and the team through their posts, however the headline is out there and is very damaging, believe me.

Our Manager will be using his time on team matters and continuing to progress our club, rather than reading and replying on the Forum. He is very approachable and will talk to supporters when he is able to on match day, in the club after the game etc. or at events.

Sometimes I like to sit and take stock about what has happened over the last couple of seasons. And also what happened previously to 15 November 2012. A promotion, some silverware, third place behind two strong, established teams and done within a strict budget. Good cup games. Earning respect from clubs like Crewe Alex and Tranmere Rovers, Chester, FCUM and Sheffield United for conducting ourselves in the right manner. Smiles on faces again. This has all been led by Ian Street.

Well said "Streety" and thanks for your honesty. The comments from a very SMALL number of disgruntled individuals are not supported by the majority, we have you to thank for the great run over two seasons so ignore the detractors and talk us "Onwards and Upwards".

Given the response to Ian's comments is there any chance of him writing a regular weekly column for the website?

There is moderation, Vicky (but I know what you mean). While tempted from the start to do something about that thread title, I personally have hesitated in the interests of freedom of speech. I for one am pleased to see that the thread has given most fans the opportunity to be largely supportive of the manager and the team, or at least constructive where criticism has been voiced. However, I appreciate your concerns about the thread title and have now edited it to remove the rather excessive punctuation. I am reluctant to remove it, though, as every opinion has validity, even those voiced within seconds of the game finishing on Saturday.

Thanks Alan. I agree that there should be free speech and when I said no moderation, I meant that we wouldn't delete what people are saying. However I am pleased that you have edited the heading to tone it down. Not warranted in my humble opinion!

I don't think the title should have been touched in any way as it then becomes one persons choice (yours Alan) as to what's on and what's not, that makes you no better than a certain person who wanted his opinion on how things are run and what's allowed on the forum and what wasn't!!
The thread started a healthy discussion, and got some difficult questions in a very sensible manner.
It also showed, that while people are slightly disappointed with results we are still in the majority behind Ian and the boys.
I can understand Vicki being disappointed but this is what forums are for, fans pay the money so have a right for opinions. They can't always be complimentary but they can, as this one has, start a healthy and what's turned out to be positive discussion.
Any changes or alterations on topics/subjects should not be one persons decision otherwise we are no better off than we used to be under the former dictatorship!!

It ran for three days with the exclamation marks. I do not think I have been that brutal in removing these from the title, and no other changes have been made, so the content of all posts in that thread remains untouched. Moderators have to make decisions, not all of them get noticed, and we try to judge the balance and level of any feelings. We can't please everyone all the time, though, and I am happy to field/face any criticism.

I am with blackie on his thoughts above. This is an open discussion and as long as posts are not abusive then they should not be touched . We need to remember this is our club run by the fans for the fans, it is no different than streety having a go at some players on his earlier message, it is not Ian's club it is OURs

Sometimes I like to sit and take stock about what has happened over the last couple of seasons. And also what happened previously to 15 November 2012. A promotion, some silverware, third place behind two strong, established teams and done within a strict budget. Good cup games. Earning respect from clubs like Crewe Alex and Tranmere Rovers, Chester, FCUM and Sheffield United for conducting ourselves in the right manner. Smiles on faces again. This has all been led by Ian Street.

I don't want to get involved in the overall debate that has been going on this and other threads. All I would like to bring to the table is the following fact. It is our complete competitive playing record since we first kicked a ball (i.e all league and cup matches).

P 111 W 71 D 16 L 24 F 244 A 115

Win Ratio 64% Games Undefeated 78%, Goals Scored Per Game 2.2, Goals Conceded Per Game 1.04.

Read into that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back