• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Don't know that one Toddy sounds like a long time ago.

What was the big DIY store called at the back of the Central Ground?

Jack.H. sorry wrong.
Paul I think it might have been Handy Jack's.
I will give you a clue on the Witton Question.You would't want one of these in a bucket.

Yes it was Handy Jacks Toddy.

Was it something to do with holes/diverts in the pitch?

Struggling now, not some animal (badgers, rabbits etc) having a home there is it? :panda

Edge I think you would be better trying the 1874 Question:):).
Paul if no one else gets it right I will give you the answer.But I thought some one would have known it.

Well your clue of a bucket I can only think of holes or ice. Where is CJ when you need him!

Ask him on Wittons forum he might know the answer or some one else might.

The incident Toddy,was it the late Joe Dale and the "hole in the net" debacle?

That is correct Tez.
The incident occurred in a F.A.Cup tie at the Central ground in the 1950s.Witton were playing Runcorn when in the 31 minute Joe Dale shot for the top corner,the ball entered the net,Runcorn claimed it had gone in through a hole in the net.The referee allowed the goal,the Runcorn team protested to no avail,and the goal was given.The Runcorn team then walk off the field and would not return,in the inquiry that followed Witton were awarded the match,and Runcorn were fined £50.

After the interest shown in last night's game he are soon interesting facts.
The first game played between a team named Witton and Northwich was on 15-4-1882,Witton Novielty and Northwich Vics it was in the Cheshire Senior Cup final,Vics won 4-2.Witton Novielty have know connection with the present Witton.
The next meeting was Witton(Blackburn)in a2-2 draw on 19-10-1889.
In 1895-96 season the Witton Albion of to-day played two friendlies against the old Northwich Vics.The results were a 1-1 and a 3-1 to Vics.
The first competitive match between the two clubs was in the Cheshire Amateur Cup final on 26-3-1898 Vics winning 2-0.The game was played at Knutsford.
A question who Scored the Vics Goals?;)

Back