• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

MATCH VENUE CHANGES

Will be good to see what sort of numbers could possibly turn up to a league game at Wincham Park.

Need to really promote these games locally as much as possible as it will be a better guide than the vase games as to what crowds we could get playing in Northwich

Reactions: Ben
Looks like i'll be catching up on that d.i.y. sooner than I thought! :(.

Looks like i'll be catching up on that d.i.y. sooner than I thought! :(.
At least it gives us more of a chance of getting the games on. Sensible move if you ask me and kind of Witton to accommodate us once more. Here's hoping for an improved league gate.

Alan, there is room for give and take in this but they are not always villains. I just re-read Twenty Years of Madness and recall the passage where the Witton Chairman stopped Connett throwing Rod Stich out of the social club on the grounds that it was a Witton decision and Rod was welcome . Thank heaven we don't have that kind of Fred Karno activity there days and can just stick to football and finance. How far we have travelled from those sorry days to be looking forward to a Vase QF!

I appreciate that this decision may not suit everyone and of course, people have a right to decide whether to attend or maybe, not to.
With the greatest of respect intended, three things from me:
  • Further amicable talks have taken place, in which both parties are content with the business deal that has been arranged.
  • It is IMPERATIVE that we start to play regularly, and this helps to take pressure off the BS pitch whilst giving us a little more confidence that the matches will happen (as the weather is always rubbish on match day!). We HAVE to play.
  • I would just ask that you consider our team, before you definitely decide. The support that everyone has given this season, has made a big difference. These lads love wearing our shirt and love playing for the 74 supporters. Just a thought........
:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

Sensible move if you ask me and kind of Witton to accommodate us once more.
Never said it wasn't sensible, its a good move by the board to help in the current weather....its just not for me.
My money, my choice.
I'm sure I'm not the only one but hopefully that will be well counter balanced by some who might have stopped travelling to Winsford. ;).
I respect that others will be happy to go and add their money to the wi**on coffers....their money, their choice.
I also see why Vicki has posted the points above. Maybe it will persuade a few but for me 5 years of 1874 is still far outweighed by 41 years of hating wi**on....too old to change I'm afraid!!
Wi**on are now not surprisingly happy to accommodate us (at a presumed lower price than when we first asked to use their ground!), they have a big shortfall to cover wages and are more than happy to take anyone's money to fill it.
A game I really wanted to see, but that's life! Hopefully the weather will improve soon.

It indeed is your money and your choice. I wouldn’t dream of telling someone what they do with their money it’s non of my business.

However, the way I look at it, is our club will be paying Witton a few regardless of how many turn up. So let’s hope enough people turn up to cover all costs and put some money aside too for a rainy day. And, I reckon we’ll be pleasantly surprised how many people will be there in Saturday.

Have to accept the need for the Committee move, not being in any way delighted in that but do accept Vicki's point, the lads need to get match play in prior to the Vase game.
Blackie both you and I are the so called " dinasours" of the club and I see your point clearly, BUT !, as I am approaching my 84 year and first went onto the Danebank on my Dad's shoulders at age 4 perhaps you can accept that our "old farts" club could put away anti just for the 74 need !!.

Alan, there is room for give and take in this but they are not always villains.
Did I say they were? Have I characterised them thus? It is, as Vicki says, a business deal, head not heart, and should be seen as such. The moment we turn into a needy supplicant pleading for kindness we lose any power to negotiate.

I won’t repeat the points I made on the other thread, suffice to say that it is inevitable that we needed to look at possible venues while the BS pitch continues to struggle with the weather. Hopefully that situation may change soon, but in the interim, the surface and draining potential of the WP pitch represents our best (local) solution to get a game on. The arrangement represents the best outcome for both clubs at this moment in time.

I would also say that Blackie makes some reasoned points as to why he feels he is unable to attend these games and while I might not agree fully with those points, I fully respect his stance. He’s not a “dinosaur” (nor Frank for that matter ;)) merely for having a differing perspective.
One tiny point i’d make though Blackie, the gate money would be 1874’s whether the game is played at Witton or Winsford. You could pay to get in and then maintain your principled stance by declining to boost the coffers in any other way* once you are on the terraces; thus avoiding the dreaded DIY too ;):D Bottom line though is you have free will to make choices and to exercise those choices without the need to justify them or have them critiqued.

* I’m not advocating people boycott the Albion bar or light refreshments, everyone has the right to choose.

The only thing holding us back at the moment is the BS pitch. Currently, as we don’t have our own ground Wincham Park is the only option. I personally don’t think that an old rivalry is worth holding back our club. But that’s just my opinion.

I would imagine, before too long if the wet weather continues & postponements continue, that the NWCFL will be looking to 1874 to give indications on where they are going to fulfil the, not decreasing, quantity of fixtures.
Today's weather must cast a doubt on your two midweek fixtures so Saturday, with Witton away, is a sensible approach.

Whether certain 1874 supporters choose not to go and support their team, whether it's at Abbey Hey, Marine or WP is up to the individual. But you are a supporter of 1874, not your estranged Northwich Victoria, so your 'history' should only go back to your new club's years not some previous Club who play in green that YOU have chosen not to support anymore.
GE

I personally don’t think that an old rivalry is worth holding back our club. But that’s just my opinion.

100% agree, Andy

The only thing holding us back at the moment is the BS pitch.

The ONLY thing holding us back at the moment is the WEATHER and not just ourselves, all grass pitches were postponed on Saturday, we have had just 2 home league games called off this season compared to a massive 11 away!
The board have found a perfect level of games to take to Witton, if we had played them all there at extra expense we would still be the 11 away games behind.
I've walked on the pitch this morning [ under the guidance of the Stadium Gang ] you could drive a vehicle down the middle! This weekends work party should see the problem area in the corner finally sorted out.

Ps The pitch at Wolverhampton was by far worse than the BS has been at any time this season!

Last edited:
Its a sensible move to get some games played at WP Imo, I would be interested to know the figures we are being charged as any POSSIBLE groundshare between us and w*tton in the future would surely go to a members vote and we would then need to know the figures before a decision is made, however I also understand not wanting to make such information public at the moment

For the current situation it makes perfect sense.
If we have to play 4 home games in a week at Winsford then the gates will be hit. 4 home games over a couple of weeks at WP & the BS will almost certainly get a higher average gate and minimise the financial impact.

Longer term is a different conversation & one for another thread.

Back