• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Linnets 0-5

A dire ending to a dire season. Massive chasm in abilities between the two sides.
I sincerely hope the recruitment is better during the break in football than it has been in the break last season.
I’m afraid this team is lacking any quality either in attack , midfield and defence. Exception is Shorthouse who has been excellent.
The only good thing this afternoon was I missed two of the goals as my view was obscured by a Leprechaun and a Dinosaur.
Good luck to Runcorn in the play offs. I’ve seen them a few times this season and they are a good side and deserve a chance at a higher level.
A rest now and hope things better next season.

Rather fortunately I missed the game due to a well timed seizure! (I’m fine now).

Just a pity that it didn’t last from August 5 until today! 😉😂

It wasn't a 5-0 game imo as I thought we were did well until they scored a very good first goal from a nice quick passing move, I thought we then gave the next 2 goals away very poorly and then it was over after that, realistically there's only 5-6 of that squad that I'd keep next season (not including Jonah and Woolley who are obvious should they continue to keep playing) but we're going to find it very hard to keep those handful of players that I want to keep, we really need more depth in every position imo but particularly in CM, ST and CB

Today’s result losing 5-0 to a very good Runcorn Linnetts side was not unexpected and this is a sad indictment of our season with our squad in need of a complete overhaul during the close season. I hope that our new manager has seen enough to realise that. That’s all I have to say other that I am glad that this nightmare of a season is now finally over and that we can all take a break from watching 1874 in the hope that better times do lay ahead for the club which I and others will continue to support.

You don't have to watch if you don't want

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You couldn’t have asked for a game more fitting of our season.

Competitive (barely) for 20 minutes, very cheap goal conceded then complete head loss.

Errors throughout gifting goals and chances to our opponents who where far superior both in ability and size.

Couldn’t wait for this disaster of a season to be over. Time to regroup, pick ourselves up and rebuild now under Chris and his new management team.

I have to admit to not paying that much attention to the game. Spent a lot of it speaking to some of their fans and enjoying a few drinks to mark our last game of the season and final NPL game for at least a year!

Linnets have a great set of fans, many of whom couldn’t believe and were saddened by how poor we were and saying it was the worst 74 team they had seen. I can’t disagree from I’ve seen during what has been an awful season. They wished us well in getting back up from the Midland League.

A very well run fellow fan-run club who do things the right way and I wish them well in their quest for promotion. I do hope it’s not too long until we play them again however, as we have a great and friendly rivalry where the respect both clubs have for each other is evident. Their fancy dress and away following made for a great party atmosphere and enjoyable day despite the result and our contrasting fortunes. A great effort from them.

Now time for us to have a rest and get ready for what will be a new challenge and chapter in our history next season. Right behind Chris and his management team as they seek to build what will be a completely new squad capable of challenging for promotion.

It absolutely was.
Nah we were in it until their first goal on about 35 mins which was a nice quick passing move from them and then we gave away two poor goals before half time, I disagree that we gave up at any stage and I thought we knocked the ball around reasonably well without having any attacking threat when we got into their final 3rd

We started well.
Fenton’s header was well saved then Jesus missed an easy chance
And the wheels came off & 5-0 was about right

Onto preseason when hopefully we can start anew with a new squad (so I've been told) with a few wise old faces and a couple of promising younger players.
We will need to hit the ground running as Vics have found out this will be no pushover league (Congleton were ready and prepared but didn't walk it as many predicted).

Back