• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Leek 0-3

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
We battled well but a long ball forward was wind assisted & led to the opener.
The second direct from a corner & the third the best free-kick I’ve seen for a good while

It was fairly competitive until they scored which is a positive, not creating ANYTHING though which hopefully the managers can have a look at before two big home games coming up.

Reactions: Ben
Can't see where a goal comes from let alone any points unfortunately. Battled hard enough but superior quality told in the end.

Reactions: Ben
First half restricted Leek to fewer opportunities than they would have liked by working hard but created very little worthy of note.
Second half we were outplayed and very much second best. Leeks first goal was well taken and their third a cracking free kick.
I have no doubt that Leek will win this league ( they are good side) and that we will be relegated.

It certainly wasn’t a battering I expected after watching Leek last weekend.

The work effort was there throughout the game however we lacked any form of quality when attacking.

Eventually Leek took control of game & took their chances well with a bit of luck for their 2nd. 😉

We battled well but a long ball forward was wind assisted & led to the opener.
The second direct from a corner & the third the best free-kick I’ve seen for a good while
About spot on edge

No complaints on the effort and we held them well for an hour or so but then their quality and a bit of look made the difference, one thing that frustrated the hell out of me (like it does most weeks) is why weren't we a bit more positive and went with 2 up front particularly at half time after we had battled so well in the first half, imo McFadyen looks far more comfortable central than on the wing and so why not put him and Joel as the two up top with either Jamie or Jordao coming in on the wing??? We had nothing to lose today in giving that a go but for some bizzare reason it's just not happening 🤨🤷

No complaints on the effort and we held them well for an hour or so but then their quality and a bit of look made the difference, one thing that frustrated the hell out of me (like it does most weeks) is why weren't we a bit more positive and went with 2 up front particularly at half time after we had battled so well in the first half, imo McFadyen looks far more comfortable central than on the wing and so why not put him and Joel as the two up top with either Jamie or Jordao coming in on the wing??? We had nothing to lose today in giving that a go but for some bizzare reason it's just not happening 🤨🤷
Completely agree. First hour we matched them, after that we reverted to type

I’m tired of saying it and getting abuse about it but until we have a captain of the ship we are ruderless and the midlands league beckons

The old, traditional 4-4-2 formation seems to have fallen out of favour within the modern game. 4-3-3 or variations thereof appear to be about the only show in town, no doubt spurned on by the success of the likes of Liverpool, City and other top flight clubs who play this way.

But they have the players to play in that manner. We don’t.
And as we’ve seen over the last 18 months, on so many occasions when we are being pressed by the opposition our 4-3-3 formation becomes 4-5-1 and as a result we end up creating very little as an attacking force. IMHO 4-4-2 provides us a more flexible formation both in terms of defence and going forward.

I’m tired of saying it and getting abuse about it but until we have a captain of the ship we are ruderless and the midlands league beckons

“Reverted to type”? In what way exactly?

I’d say that credit should be given to Leek for stepping up their game.

What did you think of the new lads?

Well Leek certainly deserved the win, nobody can argue with that. However up until they scored they didn't create much more than us which was virtually nothing.

If we think back to the battling CoL performance a couple of weeks back their goals were coming as CoL were getting more on top. Yesterday I didn't think Leek were that threatening as Jonah and Fenton were marshalling the troops really well. The goal did have a big motivational effect on them and they were much more purposeful after.

The next couple of games will definitely define the rest of the season. We need to score, which is easier said than done at the moment. I'd rather lose 5-4 and have a go than agonisingly lose 1-0 with a great battling performance. 5-4 wasn't going to happen yesterday but could it happen next week?? 5-4 in our favour please!! How can we get goals? Do we sacrifice a defender straight away? Fenton up front maybe? He would certainly give it a go and can score!

I'll leave that thought with everyone, but we need to score to have a chance.

See everyone there

Well Leek certainly deserved the win, nobody can argue with that. However up until they scored they didn't create much more than us which was virtually nothing.

If we think back to the battling CoL performance a couple of weeks back their goals were coming as CoL were getting more on top. Yesterday I didn't think Leek were that threatening as Jonah and Fenton were marshalling the troops really well. The goal did have a big motivational effect on them and they were much more purposeful after.

The next couple of games will definitely define the rest of the season. We need to score, which is easier said than done at the moment. I'd rather lose 5-4 and have a go than agonisingly lose 1-0 with a great battling performance. 5-4 wasn't going to happen yesterday but could it happen next week?? 5-4 in our favour please!! How can we get goals? Do we sacrifice a defender straight away? Fenton up front maybe? He would certainly give it a go and can score!

See everyone there
McFadyen and Jones as a two up front with Isaac and Jamie out wide and I think there's goals there imo

We just need to get at them 2nd half
Man for man get them pressed in their own half and they'd have made mistakes. Instead we dropped too deep and let their full backs up the pitch.
2 up front has got to be the way to go There's definitely goals there with the attacking threat we have, they've just been isolated in past games

We just need to get at them 2nd half
Man for man get them pressed in their own half and they'd have made mistakes. Instead we dropped too deep and let their full backs up the pitch.
2 up front has got to be the way to go There's definitely goals there with the attacking threat we have, they've just been isolated in past games
You can only press against a good side for so long.
If you're continually chasing the game then fatigue and other factors will kick in.
That's when good teams will punish you.

See everyone there
Completely agree, goals is key and an attacking line up will be needed

Thought we were reasonably solid in the first half. Although on top, Leek were restricted to only a couple of chances from outside the box.

Second half was a different story and Leek showed their quality. The moment the first goal went in, it felt like a matter of how many could they get.

A similar tale to recent games against CoL and Vauxhall when we stuck in games for around an hour and faltered. That is probably down to an understandable lack of confidence and relentless pressure that is put on us the way we’re set up and having to defend for so long and sitting deeper and deeper. When your backs are against the wall there is only so long you can hold out before the inevitable goal comes.

Performances have improved a little under Jonah and Matt but we need to show more attacking intent. I don’t recall us having a shot the whole game and we just don’t look like creating chances never mind scoring. This is clearly our biggest problem and needs addressing if we are to have any chance.

So let’s play two up top and get the most out of the likes of Joel, Isaac, Oliver etc. We have attacking players that can cause problems. Let’s use them and play with more width rather than through the middle. Like Alan said I’d rather we go for it and sneak a 5-4 win. Right now a goalless draw seems the best we can hope for and it really makes for a rather depressing watch.

If we are to have any chance, this needs to happen and we absolutely must beat Hednesford on Saturday or relegation will be all but confirmed.

Last edited:
Thinking about this again it really all comes from how woefully short we are in midfield, aside from Woolley, Johnny Sodhi and Chris McCann when available can anyone think of another natural CM we have in the squad?? Mike Ibeto is filling in there and I thought did ok on Saturday but he's a CB I think and so if we're so short of central midfielders how do we expect to be able to keep the ball long enough to get it forward and create anything, I've said it before but we need a couple of really tough tackling midfielders like we've had in the past with Chappie and Lee Jones because that is what is going to get us the possession needed to then attack

Back