• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Kidsgrove 2-6

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
Ok, I’ll go first.

we started well. Jason & Gabriel caused problems going forward & set the opening goal up.
they then equalised but no idea how as @Alan Riding distracted me

After that they caused us problems down our left. Jason & Gabriel not so good defensively
And then Corner, header, goal & repeat.

I’m confused why we sign players for positions but then prefer to play people out of position.
Sam & Isaac improved things when they came on, but again why does a Midfielder end up leading the line.

But we’re only 3 points from the top of the league so no need to panic just yet

Ok, I’ll go first.

we started well. Jason & Gabriel caused problems going forward & set the opening goal up.
they then equalised but no idea how as @Alan Riding distracted me

After that they caused us problems down our left. Jason & Gabriel not so good defensively
And then Corner, header, goal & repeat.

I’m confused why we sign players for positions but then prefer to play people out of position.
Sam & Isaac improved things when they came on, but again why does a Midfielder end up leading the line.

But we’re only 3 points from the top of the league so no need to panic just yet
It was 6-2 Edge! Why do we never do something radical like play 2 up front? Or at least a No working off the shoulder of the 9?

Someone obviously lost count of the score.
Not going to say much other than it was terrible to watch.
And on this performance the 3 points from the top will widen very quickly.
An enormous improvement required.

Ok cue the hysterical overreactions..........in reality our general play was actually decent and in no way deserved a 6-2 defeat however our defending was abysmal and even our juniors would have scored some of those goals today, I don't like to single players out but I thought our more experienced players were shocking today and really didn't help the new younger lads (who I thought did very well), I thought at full back and on the wings we look good with a lot of potential there moving forward, I thought Lucas in midfield did well but Gabe up front had no help from the number 10 position as he was too isolated, today was obviously a nightmare start in terms of the result but in reality I think that we should move forward with confidence knowing that it's not possible to defend that poorly again this season

Hope you are right Josh but afraid I feel far more pessimistic than you.
I do not like the way we are set up and when it is not working we never change.
Unimpressed with either of the full backs , and wingers faded out of the game after promising start. Defensively atrocious although was some improvement when Sam Aditiloye came on. He must start the next game.
Just my opinion - we shall see who is right at end of season.

A fair assessment from Josh and agree that the more experienced players were well below par today. A vast improvement required on Tuesday night otherwise those looking into results will quickly target 74 for 3 points.
Big challenge also for our management team to make sure we compete and our team selections are strong so expect both will feel like the rest of us tonight that what we witnessed today simply wasn’t anywhere near good enough..
Keep the faith 👍

Having driven 200 miles to get to the game I was not as disappointed as some of those above. The score line was not a fair reflection but with senior players having bad games, we were never going to win.
We seemed smaller than the opposition and so often came off second best in aerial challenges although the ref didn't help there.

I was waiting for Sam to come on as I had heard so much about him and thought ,yes he made a huge difference, He seemed to have the blend of skill and physicality that was lacking, which almost led to goal for himself and then another for others. We need two such players!
But my MOM for 74 was number 11 who I had not seen before but looks someone who will create opportunities, with Isaac, as long as we there are players in the box to cash in on them.
Onwards and upwards !

Hope you are right Josh but afraid I feel far more pessimistic than you.
I do not like the way we are set up and when it is not working we never change.
Unimpressed with either of the full backs , and wingers faded out of the game after promising start. Defensively atrocious although was some improvement when Sam Aditiloye came on. He must start the next game.
Just my opinion - we shall see who is right at end of season.
Our issue today was right down the middle of the team we were awful, as I said I don't really like to name names but Jonah and Matty for some reason looked like they had only just met each other 10 minutes before kick off which I've never seen with them before and Ellis in goal didn't seem to communicate like he usually does, Matt Woolley didn't do enough to provide any sort of defensive cover and Jack Irlam wasnt in the game and gave no support to Gabe Ellis up front, I thought everyone else on the pitch did well as did Sam and Issac when they came on second half

I said it before but we need to change the managers asap they’re taken us asfar as they can.
Though I do also have concerns about them from a tactical point of view I think it's a bit early for that as they've done a great job overall for us

Started promising today and then shipped a load of set piece goals (again). It shows the value of practicing set pieces (both defensively and attacking) as it could be the difference between 1 and 3 points in games this season. I’m unsure why we played a CB at RB when Marrow showed he is capable off the bench last week and I’m led to believe that Hurst is also fit. For me we lacked the physicality that Irlam brought up top in the latter stages and seem insistent on pumping long balls when there is an easier option on. We need to utilise our midfield rather than bypass them; most of our play came from driving at the defence from deep and releasing the wingers with slipped balls in behind - this is where we will get the most luck with the players we have.

It was 6-2 Edge! Why do we never do something radical like play 2 up front? Or at least a No working off the shoulder of the 9?

Didn’t make it, but sounding like still sticking to 1 up front?

Disappointing if so

Abysmal today. Too many mistakes, we look like a team that can’t defend a set piece. I count 5 set piece/phase of play goals we have conceded in 2 games??

After calling for a striker the for the better part of the back end of last year, I would stick Jack Irlam back up top, just for the physical presence and tenacity shown when he’s up there. While I don’t think we’ve given Gabe anywhere near enough service so far to really show himself, we looked more dangerous when Jack went up top. Personally would be open to having 2 strikers and a change in formation, but I can’t see that ever happening - both changes in formation today and against Ossett came far too late, seems a reluctance to change even when Plan A isn’t working.

Sam again got us going when he came on in the middle - I really can’t believe he isn’t starting, we actually got the ball down and drove at their defence when he came on. It just comes across as a stubbornness to not want to start him for whatever reason.

That being said, there were positives with the start we made the first 5 mins or so… Munoz-Mooney on the wing looks a really great addition for us!

Last edited:
Football aside I would just like to thank everyone who contributed towards the football cards for BOOST THE BUDGET! Mark Dutton started this bonus scheme by doing a card on the coach to Osset. We did it today and did 2 cards so I thank you all once again. Every little helps! Where have I heard that before 👍

Back