• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Keeper.

By the way both Callum and Dave Stevenson had really good games in the last two friendlies.
I don't think you'll see Callum coming for many crosses but made some really good saves last night when needed.

If the defence know Callum doesn't come for crosses then they can adapt. You get problems when sometimes a keeper comes & sometimes he doesn't which leaves the defence unsure what's going to happen & chaos ensures.

From the little I've seen of him, I'd be happy for Callum to get the shirt.

I think that it is important that we have a more experienced keeper as our number 1, Callum looks like a decent back up keeper to me but not convinced he's a number 1 personally

I think that it is important that we have a more experienced keeper as our number 1, Callum looks like a decent back up keeper to me but not convinced he's a number 1 personally
Its not very often i agree with josh but i think hes right on this one. Todays friendly at leek confirms that....sounds like they put away every chance they had. Need a strong experienced keeper.
Giving away silly goals at bad times last season cost us....still plenty of time to fine tune it yet and luckily, friendlies count for diddly.

To be fair, the scoreline doesn't tell the true story. We played very well at times and created lots of chances despite having no recognised forward on the pitch. Callum Gardner looks a good signing and Josh Winthrop impressed. Defensively there were some issues (albeit without Connor and Pritch) and to be fair to Callum, I don't think he was really at fault for the goals. We came up against a very clinical Leek side who will be up there next season in their league.

The scoreline tells a familiar story. Last season we were fantastic going forward and played some amazing footy at times without scoring. At the other end we did have a tendency to give away easy stupid goals and let teams score with their few chances. If we are going to progress this season we need to make our defence tighter and get a good solid unit at the back.
I like Callum, nice lad and the makings of a good keeper. But if we are to progress and build on last season we need more experience in the nets. Simple opinion and good to be talking footy again.

Defensively we were poor at times today and need to stop giving silly goals away. But I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a pre-season game against one of the favourites to go up from the league above. Two key players were missing from our defence.

I'd probably agree with you that more experience is needed in goal but I'm all for giving a young player like Callum a chance also. I think our defence is okay on paper, what would you change in a back four of Connor, Mitch, Pritchard and Jackson with Russy and DT as back up?

I'd say another keeper and a little more squad depth is what's needed, as if other a couple of key players get injured, you do feel like we don't have much on the bench which could be crucial as the season progresses.

I have not seen any of the friendlies so cannot say anything about Callum's abilities apart from last season. That would be unfair as he is still young and learning. However if we are looking for a new one, what about Ryan Livesey as a possibility. I know he had a shocker against us at Winsford last year and was dropped (?) for the game at Maine Road but over the previous seasons he has impressed me more than any other opposing player.

“We also continue to talk with possible Goal Keepers, which in some cases has been interesting to say the least! They truly are a different breed…. “

Are they “interesting” because the Management team can’t get straight answers on commitment, that there are a few unrealistic financial demands being bandied about or perhaps neither scenario is in play here; draw your own conclusions? Suffice to say I’m sure GoBo are working hard still to bring in a ‘keeper between the sticks who will ultimately have the best interests of the club both on and off the field.​

While experience would be good, Id rather play Callum in goal than give in to stupid money demands and, unlike some, pay out more than we have coming in!!

Earlier this morning we announced the signing of Josh Samberg from Premier Division rivals Burscough. Another Manc lad who came through the ranks at Alty and lists Ashton United, Bamber Bridge, Trafford and Radcliffe Boro among his former clubs.

We've signed Tony Aghayere too (trialist against Mossley). Tony won the league with Colne back in 2015/16. Two terrific signings there and great to have experienced and proven competition for the No. 1 shirt.

Reactions: Tez
I feel sorry for Callum but I am much happier with the idea of Tony in goal. I do not remember Josh so have no strong feelings there.

Tony would be my starting number one. An excellent signing and one that from memory was physically commanding.
A step forward in my opinion from Greg.

Reactions: Ben
Don't know a lot about Josh but Tony is a super signing. He's been there and won it before with Colne aged just 18. A great replacement for Greg.

With him and Beadle added to our squad and Gardner and everyone from last season staying, I'm feeling optimistic going into the new season.

Back