• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

John King

Vicki England

Too much time on my hands
1874 Official
Jul 31, 2013
I know this is strictly not 1874 news but it is significant for the 'maturer' supporters amongst us.

News has broken that former Manager John King has sadly passed away.

John is a legend amongst the Green half and led us to that magnificent trophy win in 1984. We had some great times under his management and it was a proud era.

Did anyone else, like me, sing "Johnny King's Green & White Army" walking down Wembley way?

RIP John

Sad news indeed, the man and his great team provided some memorable moments. I have a great picture of the team about to board the bus for Wembley outside the Drill Field. I'll get this on later.

Sad news indeed, the man and his great team provided some memorable moments. I have a great picture of the team about to board the bus for Wembley outside the Drill Field. I'll get this on later.

I have some great memories of Johnny King's time at Vics. He was a true gentleman, in the days when fans were allowed on the team bus, he would always thank all the supporters for coming when we got back. When he was manager at Tranmere I went to their training ground to get a copy of A Team For All Seasons signed and he stayed chatting for 10 or 15 minutes. A great man, a sad loss.

Very sad to hear this news. Got a text as I was walking past Memorial Court this morning and remembered him on top of the steps of the Hall in 83 promising us that we would win the trophy next season....and being in the same place in 84 as he stopped the rain and held the trophy aloft.
You never heard a bad word about this guy anywhere.

Johnny Kings Barmy Army.
Great memories. RiP Mr King.

Yes he promised us we would go back to Wembley. And he kept his word. Emotional times. A very lovely man.

A sad loss. But the memories live on, the abiding one being how gentlemanly he always was.

When myself and Mike Wood picked Johnny up for the night talking to the fans a couple of years ago,I was surprised how quietly spoken he was,and what a nice person,he was very thrilled to have been invited,on the way home he could not believe what great esteem he was held by the fans.Thank's Johnny will never forget that hat-trick against Witton at the Central Ground in the F.A.Cup.R.I.P.

When myself and Mike Wood picked Johnny up for the night talking to the fans a couple of years ago,I was surprised how quietly spoken he was,and what a nice person,he was very thrilled to have been invited,on the way home he could not believe what great esteem he was held by the fans.Thank's Johnny will never forget that hat-trick against Witton at the Central Ground in the F.A.Cup.R.I.P.
Toddy its John King who was Manager not the Player

Oh dear sorry never thought of the manager,just got in from fishing should have read the previous post's.

This really sad news has made me reflect on the the great times I've had watching the Vics from the mid 1950's until our formation, with my grandfather, father, brother and children. I hope others feel the same.

A sad loss. But the memories live on, the abiding one being how gentlemanly he always was.

As others have said, a true gent and a sad loss to football.

Used to love his pithy sayings such as comparing 'Big' Jeff Forshaw and Kenny Jones to a lighthouse and its keeper.

So true. The Big Fella would be like a rock irrespective of the gales howling around him whilst ice-cool Kenny would direct things.

RIP John.

A true legend with the Green half of the town....

I went down to the trophy finals in the 80's and the replay at stoke as a nipper and as has been said clearly a lovely gent and one of Vics greats. RIP Johnny

I have often thought about John King, a true gentleman, always had time for a chat in the club. R I P John.

Back