• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Great result!!!

You could tell that our players wanted it, they New what it meant.

There players didn't particularly look like they wanted to even be there.

Shame to see what Jim Rushe has done to that club. They'd have struggle to beat Cammell Laird.

On and off the pitch we showed what 1874 are about. Well done to all who work off the pitch for excellent match day organization ( again). Well done to Streety and the team - good set up, worked hard and good discipline.
The Premier Green team from Northwich will be appearing again at Maine Rd on Saturday! Se you there.

First of all I'd like to say how proud I am to be an 1874 Northwich fan. Last night, our supporters (What a turnout of 74ers it was!) showed them selves in a great light, they made the Vics supporters more than welcome, no issues, no arguments, no pointless bickering. It was a great night off the field for our club and will of definitely left a good impression on our visitors and any floating supporters.

Secondly, a big well done to Streety and his mangement team. The tactics were spot on, the formation gave us the control of the game with the midfield 3, thought Lee Jones was excellent and showed some great passion in his performance. Mark Jones and Sam Hare were brilliant as always. The back 4 was solid and well organised, the front 3 looked dangerous every time we went forward and a special mention to Greg Hall, not a busy night for him but everything he was called on to do he did well.

A bittersweet night, proud to see how far our club has come, but then saddened to see the state of the club we all once loved. It didn't feel like that team in purple was Vics. It was just like any other team to me.

1874 Northwich - The future.

Last night, our supporters (What a turnout of 74ers it was!) showed them selves in a great light, they made the Vics supporters more than welcome, no issues, no arguments, no pointless bickering

I don't think there was ever much risk of that to be honest. We're all just a bunch of keyboard warriors who wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life! There's a world beyond social media and, thankfully, there are still many people who choose to live in that world!! I don't buy into the ethos that 'we're all green at heart' - that's in the past, that time has gone - but that past did exist and these are the same people we were all happy to share terraces with in the past. That shouldn't change, whether that's all following the same team or in opposition.

Last edited:
If you don't buy were all green at heart, then what are we? Did we form out of the 'ashes' of Vics, why do we play in green . similar emblem, the 1874 in the name etc and the vast majority fans are ex Vics fans.

why do we play in green?

I'd ask the very same question - I didn't vote for that colour! By green at heart I feel you mean Vics at heart.

You may still feel you are Vics at heart. I don't. I'm now 100% 1874 Northwich whether that's green, yellow, purple... I don't care... and there are others who feel that way, therefore we are not ALL green at heart. I do understand how you feel about Vics/1874 but please don't assume we all share those views. I think we get very different things out of our club.

As for the emblem, I believe the recent vote was to change it (I didn't vote for the original either)!

I'm extremely proud to be an 1874 fan. To think that in just over 4 years of existence, we've already beaten Witton and Vics, won the Mid Cheshire Cup, gained a promotion and are pushing for another one this year. Superb. It just goes to show that our decision to form this club was totally justified.:scarf:

Last edited:
A bittersweet night, proud to see how far our club has come, but then saddened to see the state of the club we all once loved. It didn't feel like that team in purple was Vics. It was just like any other team to me.

Can't agree more Jack. It was so sad to see the team we once supported be reduced to what was on show last night.

To the match. Defence - Solid, Midfield - Much more bite, passion and quality. Attack - Loads more movement, offering midfield a pass.

Jason Carey for me MoM just shaded Mark Jones. Jason showed miles more than Saturday and even though sometimes deeper than I would like showed great commitment to the cause and some quality touches and efforts on goal. Mark Jones just oozes quality and had a great game. Oh and well done to Gregg for clearing his lines on a few occasions without giving us heart attacks! (if there is a friendly up coming please can Streety give him 10-15 mins outfield, would love to see him up the other end or would that give him ideas!)

See everyone Saturday, but don't expect anything sensible from me #AWAYDAY!

To be fair Ian Street will go down in our history as the man who masterminded first wins over Vics and Witton giving him legendary status!
Well done everyone - fans, officials and players. A night...and a club to be proud of.

Oh and well done to Gregg for clearing his lines on a few occasions without giving us heart attacks! (if there is a friendly up coming please can Streety give him 10-15 mins outfield, would love to see him up the other end or would that give him ideas!)

That'd be great... in a friendly as you say!

I didn't realise Greg has quite a few games under his belt as an outfield player. We know all 'keepers secretly want to do it but he clearly has some ability too! His recent interview made for good reading. He sounds like an all-round top bloke.

I'd ask the very same question - I didn't vote for that colour! By green at heart I feel you mean Vics at heart.

You may still feel you are Vics at heart. I don't. I'm now 100% 1874 Northwich whether that's green, yellow, purple... I don't care... and there are others who feel that way, therefore we are not ALL green at heart. I do understand how you feel about Vics/1874 but please don't assume we all share those views. I think we get very different things out of our club.

As for the emblem, I believe the recent vote was to change it (I didn't vote for the original either)!

I'm not Green at heart if by that it means having a soft spot for the good old Vics. I appreciate that others feel differently, but not me. My old scarf is in a plastic bag deep deep in the wardrobe gathering dust and that is where it will stay; my old Vics shirts donated to young African school kids, who will doubtless feel the warmth from them more than me, because my feelings for the club couldn't be colder I'm afraid.
It was great news that we moved on with a revamped emblem. We now need to continue that stride forward as a club and leave Vics behind.

There are some fans who have friends and family who are still "Vics' fans. They may not go and watch them but they would certainly be alienated by your stance. Personally, 1874's strategy has to be to appeal to these fans if they are ever going to increase the fan base. Sadly, I am beginning to doubt my own support for the club

The thing about 1874 is, we're different things to different people.

To some, we're a fresh start, to others we're a continuation of what we all once loved.

And thats ok.

If we're successful on the pitch, and successful off the pitch people will come, and have their own reasons for supporting this club. Ex Vics fans know what we are, they'll see the same faces they've seen at games for decades - and to other people that never supported the Vics, they can see what we're trying to achieve and why they should be part of something, somethings thats new.

Last nights attendance really encouraged me. When you consider there was easily 50 people who chose to stay away for this tie, you can get a grasp of how many people still are interested in green football.

Peter,sorry if my post upset you,I have friends also who are Vics fans,but last nights game was about showing our club progress over the last few years.

Reactions: Tez
There are some fans who have friends and family who are still "Vics' fans. They may not go and watch them but they would certainly be alienated by your stance. Personally, 1874's strategy has to be to appeal to these fans if they are ever going to increase the fan base. Sadly, I am beginning to doubt my own support for the club

My stance being that we should not pretend to be the new Northwich Vics? My money says we'll gain more fans this way than we would ever lose by not trying to be them.

The emblem is part of a complete fresh rebranding. It's a sign of the club recognising what they have to do to attract new fans. Those fans don't have to be ex-Vics fans.

The green, the name... they're not going to change. We have something for everyone and that's how we should keep it.

Last edited:
Back