• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Glossop

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Another poor performance at home, and unsurprisingly a poor attendance with all the poor home performances.

Something needs to change regarding this. Our league position is good, our away performances are excellent, but home matches are where the club makes its money.

Another poor performance at home, and unsurprisingly a poor attendance with all the poor home performances.

Something needs to change regarding this. Our league position is good, our away performances are excellent, but home matches are where the club makes its money.
Couldn’t agree more Andy. As someone who tries very hard to push the club every time I manage to get it right and we get a good crowd we lose. Its very frustrating. And then we have nights like tonight.

That tonight, was atrocious, they were awful tbh. we just seemed out of ideas and second to every ball, got to improve asap we really don’t want to be dragged into that 3rd from bottom spot and having to play a Counties team to survive.

on to Rylands away now…

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
I agree it was poor again, glossop were a poor side but even though we had a lot of play second half their keeper had nothing to do and if it wasn't for some good saves from Tony it could have been worse, it really isn't a good night out currently.

Agree totally with previous comments.
Every week I faithfully turn up hoping for better but, no, same old tactics and strange selections. Just a replica of previous home games.
First half we were shocking. More possession second half but hardly troubled Glossop’s keeper.
Best player was Tony again which says a lot. Losing Jake hasn’t helped but I’m afraid we have too many players who are not good enough at this level and we look far too lightweight.
I worry that our excellent away form will end at some point and we will be dragged into a battle for 3rd from bottom unless things change at home.
I could go on but had better stop now.
Good job there were a few Glossop fans tonight.

.Agree with everything above. At least 2 excellent saves from Tony kept us in it. The service to Scott and later to Scott and Jamie was virtually non-existent. I was impressed by Matty Fenton who I thought looked very good and I don't remember him making any mistakes. I was surprised when Sam Hare was subbed but he did seem to be limping at the end of the game.
Hugo Rodriguez, their no 10 was booked in the 69th minute and should have had a second about 2 minutes later when he went up for the ball and elbowed Markell out. It was very close to me and even closer to the "assistant" ref so should have been seen.

.Agree with everything above. At least 2 excellent saves from Tony kept us in it. The service to Scott and later to Scott and Jamie was virtually non-existent. I was impressed by Matty Fenton who I thought looked very good and I don't remember him making any mistakes. I was surprised when Sam Hare was subbed but he did seem to be limping at the end of the game.
Hugo Rodriguez, their no 10 was booked in the 69th minute and should have had a second about 2 minutes later when he went up for the ball and elbowed Markell out. It was very close to me and even closer to the "assistant" ref so should have been seen.
he followed these incidents with a poorly executed attempted trip in midfield and the ref took a lenient view. Who knows what might have happened if a justified red card had been issued. Whilst we have not played as well at home, the standard of the officials has left a lot to be desired eg the red card to Markel (rescinded) in the loss to Runcorn Linnets.

Unfortunately we were mediocre at best, Glossop weren’t that good but we didn’t play well enough to get anything out of game, couple of great saves from Tony was one positive.

Agree totally with previous comments.
Every week I faithfully turn up hoping for better but, no, same old tactics and strange selections. Just a replica of previous home games.
First half we were shocking. More possession second half but hardly troubled Glossop’s keeper.
Best player was Tony again which says a lot. Losing Jake hasn’t helped but I’m afraid we have too many players who are not good enough at this level and we look far too lightweight.
I worry that our excellent away form will end at some point and we will be dragged into a battle for 3rd from bottom unless things change at home.
I could go on but had better stop now.
Good job there were a few Glossop fans tonight.
I wasn’t there tonight so can’t comment on this specific performance, but our home record v away record speaks for itself.

But I’ve said before that there must be a fundamental reason why we have performed so well on our travels but generally so lamentably at home.

IMHO our patient ‘play it from the back, keep our shape then counter’ style that we appear to have adopted away from home has suited us well as teams have found us difficult to break down and then themselves been caught out when we have countered.

But at home we just seem so lethargic. The ball isn’t moved with any pace, more often than not the easy option ball is taken and by the time we do get into the opposite half they have got themselves set and ready.

In addition, playing with just one solitary striker at home is just so negative and this just helps to further hand the initiative to the away side.

I think that it was Einstein who was credited for saying “The definition of insanity is to keep on doing the same thing whilst expecting different results”.

Maybe what is need is a different approach?

4-4-2 anyone?

Another dreadful home performance against a poor side in Glossop. That’s 10 defeats in 15 at home, says it all and a low crowd to go with it which isn’t a surprise considering our performances and results. Not much more to say. It’s just a repeat of many other games at Townfield we’ve seen this season.

Looking at the table, we’re not that far off 3rd from bottom. Yes it’s likely that we’ll be okay even if we do finish in that position with the way the relegation places are decided, but worrying nonetheless. At least we still have Kendal and Market Drayton to play!

Last edited:
Out muscled tonight by a physical Glossop who somehow have gained 4 points from us this season despite us being a far better football side over the 180 minutes.
No plan B sadly. Don’t know why JW, JR and TK were on the bench to be honest….we haven’t got enough points to start experimenting just yet. I also thought the substitutions were made far too late….why not change it at half time to at least give us a fighting chance.
Missed Jonah again and seriously lacked leadership…I could only hear one team in the 2nd half!! It’s almost as if the players expect and accept defeat at home now without raising a murmur.
Come on boys…. you’re a far better team than our home record suggests. 13 to go….let’s get to 50 points and look back on a real good season…no time for complacency in this league. COYG

Last edited:
I wasn’t there tonight so can’t comment on this specific performance, but our home record v away record speaks for itself.

But I’ve said before that there must be a fundamental reason why we have performed so well on our travels but generally so lamentably at home.

IMHO our patient ‘play it from the back, keep our shape then counter’ style that we appear to have adopted away from home has suited us well as teams have found us difficult to break down and then themselves been caught out when we have countered.

But at home we just seem so lethargic. The ball isn’t moved with any pace, more often than not the easy option ball is taken and by the time we do get into the opposite half they have got themselves set and ready.

In addition, playing with just one solitary striker at home is just so negative and this just helps to further hand the initiative to the away side.

I think that it was Einstein who was credited for saying “The definition of insanity is to keep on doing the same thing whilst expecting different results”.

4-4-2 anyone?
I can't believe again I'm agreeing with James!

You can't fault our effort, every player is trying hard, but we are so predictable that teams coming to Townfield know exactly what game they are facing no matter which players are chosen. The recent home games against Prescott, Widnes and last night were so similar.

Shout outs to Big T and a great debut from Fenton. Do we get a bit more energy in midfield by moving a fit Jonah further forward now?

See everyone Saturday when as usual we should raise our game against better teams.

4-4-2 anyone?

Agree with every word of this

Do we get a bit more energy in midfield...
We do look so sluggish going forward.

Just before they scored we looked lively when Russy got forward & same in the second half with Koral pushing up.
But if the full backs don't get forward we look pedestrian in attack.

Cal or Kenzie at 10 might be worth a try?

Speaking with Kenzie at Colne he wants to play in a No.10 role supporting the striker. I just feel there are periods where he is isolated on the wing.

Also agree that we were getting back into it after a bright start from Glossop, and then they scored and the game changed again in their favour.

The home and away table put on twitter was very enlightening with us close to the top in the away table and third from bottom on the home table. With 9 away games still to go we surely must be positive!!

Big shout out to Matty Fenton btw. He looked very good. If we play it right we’ll have some player on our hands there✊

Another success story of our youth system working its magic…??

Looking at the table, we’re not that far off 3rd from bottom. Yes it’s likely that we’ll be okay even if we do finish in that position with the way the relegation places are decided, but worrying nonetheless. At least we still have Kendal and Market Drayton to play!
I think our away form will be sufficient to see us more than okay in the end and add to that we will pick up some points at home too.
That’s not to say current home form isn’t a concern and needs to be addressed, something i’m sure GoBo are only too aware of.

Back