• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

GET IT OFF YOUR CHEST.

toddyb

Too much time on my hands
Dec 23, 2014
I have started this thread after watching MK Dons -Chelsea.
In the paper this week it was suggested pensioners over 75 should give up their free licence (by the way I am not one).Well there were at least 8 commentators on the one game on god knows how much money(job for the boys or what),why not cut the number of commentators and save money that way.There were 4 in the studio 2 commentating on the match 1 pitch side and 1 interviewing after the match,overkill or what.
Well that's my rant,whats your's.

Agree that sounds a bit over the top for one game, though I suspect that most of them were salaried, so being made to "work" for their money. Didn't see the game myself - couldn't decide in advance which of the two sides I wanted to lose more ;) so decided not to bother watching at all.

Personally, I think the BBC licence fee is fantastic value for money for the range of programmes they offer on TV and radio. Just compare it with the silly money that Sky etc charge for their subscription services. If it goes over to subscription or some alternative method, as the govt seems to want, supported by the Murdoch press (I wonder why?), then people will soon realise just what it is that they are going to miss, because half the current programmes and services will go. I have never watched Strictly or EastEnders or most of the BBC's output, but I fervently believe it is a national service and has to cater for everyone's tastes, even if I don't share them. I've lived in plenty of countries where the TV fare is pitiful by comparison. And it should retain its independence from govt interference, from whatever political persuasion. And if the government hadn't passed their social responsibility for giving free licences to the over 75s over to the BBC from next year, then the BBC wouldn't need to be looking at ways of saving that lump of income. The one thing they need to do is ensure that the iPlayer services are brought under the umbrella of the licence, rather than at the moment people using the loophole of watching everything on the iPlayer and thus not needing to pay for a licence.

Rant in response over!

You might be right on the salaries Alan,but what are their salaries.

Agreed, in some cases far too high for my liking too. But do you really want to watch Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend, or have to listen to Clive Tildesley's commentary? :(

No Alan but also I don't want 8 different people on the same game,like I said before job for the boys.

Have the rules in football changed recently,after watching the high-lights last night it seems so.The very knowledgeable commentators stated in one game time was being added on to take a free kick from which one side scored,in my time as a referee the rules stated,the only time added on for a kick to taken was for a penalty.Has the rule change or is this just another case of the so called experts making up as they go along.It is time these so called expert's took exams on their knowledge of rules of the game before they are allowed to comment on it,millions of people hang on to their every word so the should at least get it right.

Have the rules in football changed recently,after watching the high-lights last night it seems so.The very knowledgeable commentators stated in one game time was being added on to take a free kick from which one side scored,in my time as a referee the rules stated,the only time added on for a kick to taken was for a penalty.Has the rule change or is this just another case of the so called experts making up as they go along.It is time these so called expert's took exams on their knowledge of rules of the game before they are allowed to comment on it,millions of people hang on to their every word so the should at least get it right.

In the current laws of the game, time can be added on depending on how long a stoppage is, regardless of if it's a free out, a penalty or a throw in.

That said, you're right about the last sentence.

Back