• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Formby vs 1874

The only thing missing to cap off an otherwise fine day was a goal.

A game to fray the nerves both on and off the pitch, though few clear chances for either side - can only remember one shot which each of the three keepers had to save. They got far more crosses in than we did, but Matt Conkie was pretty imperious with the high balls. We seemed to want to go through the middle a bit too much, particularly in the 2nd half - and that despite relative success down the flanks in the first half. In the second Stuart Wellstead seemed to be sitting very deep on the far side, while so often on the right wing there was acres of totally unoccupied pitch. If that happens so often it's no wonder the dandelions flourish. Until the substitutions Mike Brandon seemed a bit isolated, and his flicks on would have been great with a Mike Brandon #2 on the pitch.

They wilted considerably in the final quarter of the game (hardly surprising after their cup exploits on Thursday), and throwing on two attacking subs with fresh legs nearly did the trick, but it was not to be, and at any other point in the season we would be celebrating a well-earned point.

Impressive levels of support in both numbers and volume. Agree that in the old days t'other lot would have had to go some to match it. And, to quote Nicki, impressive levels of merchandise on show! That alone is enough to show that everyone has bought into the concept (or, in trendy football parlance, 'the project') and is in it for the long term, promotion or not. My newly-acquired share certificate (thanks Tony) is already adorning the study wall.

Finally a vote of thanks to whoever said (can't remember who) that I look younger in real life. It's the Dorset air!

A battling performance in difficult conditions on a pitch that looked like a mine field! 1874 easily the better of the 2 teams but around their penalty area we let ourselves down drastically, mis-hits and poor decision making in abundance. So disappointing how our creative players disappear in these big games.

Defended resolutely as they have all season, hence a previous comment for giving one of them my player of the yr vote. That said, Farnworth was poor yesterday but Aston made up for it.

Why was Saki left on the bench for so long?

Something for the manager to address next year, revamp of attacking options, at present we have wingers who do t create and don't score.

Hopefully Holker will be able to help us but I can't see it.

Hopefully Holker will be able to help us but I can't see it.

.... And there's Colls too remember. Clutching at straws admittedly, but no reason why they couldn't earn themselves a point next Saturday?

Nail biting week ahead perhaps? Here's hoping ;) :scarf:

I only see the negatives in that report, they stick in my throat just like their pies, especially this little gem.. What on earth has this got to do with Saturdays match?

"Craig Farnworth who had played against Nelson back in December whilst under suspension by Cheshire County FA. If rumours are to be believed, 1874 Northwich have avoided a points deduction."

We brought the mistake to the attention of the FA so they could hardly punish us twice!!:confused:
Obviously the mention in the match report has been made without clarifying the facts....but then, why let facts get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:

COYG :scarf::scarf::scarf:

Difference between us and Formby is we'll be disappointed if we don't get promotion but will accept defeat graciously and celebrate a FANbloodyTASTIC first season, where as Formby....... well...... I see smashed up trainsets, teddybear heads and limbs ripped off and dummies spat out but thats only my democratic opinion on an independent forum.

Back