• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Formby vs 1874 Northwich

1874Craig

Legend
Jul 27, 2013
So next up for 1874 is a trip to Formby in the first division trophy Q/F weather permitting of course, and I was wondering what are peoples views on this game? would you rather see us get knocked out and force on the league or go for cup glory?.
Well for me I just hope that the game is on firstly because I just found out that the is another storm heading our way with heavy rain due to hit us tomorrow (Friday) but hopefully the pitch at Burscough holds up well and drains well.
Burscough FC played on there Wednesday night against Tranmere Rovers and from the picture's and reports on the pitch they've said that the pitch is wet and cut up easily but if it doesn't rain to much then the pitch should be fine for Saturday.
As for the game and tournament itself I really hope 1874 has a good go at it, I know the league is our main force but I would like to see us at least trying to win a cup such as the first division trophy or the Challenge Cup etc.
As for Formby I think it's going to be a tough game against them, when we played them in the league I thought they looked poor and we were unlucky not to at least get a point on that day but since then they picked up some very good wins and now they find themselves in second place. But hopefully 1874 can match them on the pitch and pick up a decent win.

I agree Craig - We should have beaten them earlier. It'll just be good to give the lads a more competitive workout than the friendlies we've had in the last month.

In an ideal world given the choice between promotion or some silverware from a knockout competition, I think we'd all err toward the first. As nothing is guaranteed though, probably staying in a winning habit is the most important thing. Providing we don't pick up unnecessary injuries, suspensions or suffer a crippling backlog of fixtures, then I'm happy for us to take things as they come for now at least.

All that said, if I had to choose between cup progress on Saturday or three points later in the season, then I'd take a league win every time ;) :scarf:

Does anyone know the chance's of the game being on tomorrow?.

Aye from early reports it doesn't look good, but it has now stopped raining for some good time now so hopefully it isn't to bad.

Just in case nobody has heard Formby twitter has confirmed that the pitch looks fine and the game should go ahead.

Lost 4-2 after giving Formby a 3 goal start.

why do we keep giving the top sides a 2 or 3 goal head start?

So any reports from the 100 or so that went?

Tbh Edge it wasn't a great show from 1874 behalf, especially in the first half when we kept losing the ball to easily and doing to many long balls which went straight out of play or straight to the Formby GK.

In the early stages of the second half it was a complete disaster when we let in 2 goals within a minute of each other and very cheaply to, but when we were 3-0 down we all of a sudden came to life and started playing football on the ground and playing some decent stuff. We got it back to 3-2 and many 1874 fans including myself felt we could score another to take it into extra time, but unfortunately they got us on a counter attack in the final minute to kill us off.

If only we played the whole game like we did when we were 3-0 down we might of stood a chance of winning the game but it wasn't the case. Now we just need to move on and force on next weeks game away to AFC Darwen and get 3 points from it.

You could tell which team hadn't properly played for a Month and which had. Too many mistakes at the back again, all 4 could've been avoided. I don't understand why people rate Thomas so highly?

We were much better, however, when we had two up front (the new striker look handy). But, I fully expect to go back to one up front next game...

Their team was full of horrible players, the striker bit Craig, their No 7 did some weird gestures to the fans.

Hard to put it nicely what I think of them, don't think they have played infront of a crowd that will give them a bit of stick before, its not like they didn't deserve it.

Think it's probably for the best that we're out of the cup with the potential fixture pile-up we may have. At least now we can focus on the league and trying to get promotion.

Back