• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Football in Northwich

lawsio

Mar 10, 2014
Hi Guys,

I've recently moved to Northwich and will be coming down to my first 1874 match tomorrow night so thought I'd pop on here and say hello! I'm a Forest fan by birth but have been exiled in South Birmingham for the last few years where I had started to make quite regular trips down the M40 to watch Leamington after an initial 'day out' there with some friends. I've really enjoyed the non-league scene having been a recent newcomer to it so moving up here has left me with a search for a new local team to watch.

As an outsider, the fiasco with Victoria moving away had bypassed me so I was surprised to find the town so divided over local football. Every time I mentioned to people I was moving to Northwich the response was almost always ''As in...Northwich Victoria, Northwich?" so I thought it was a given everyone here was Vics fans! I'm curious about the attitudes of the local fans - are teams like Witton and Victora now considered rivals or is it all quite friendly? Is the match tomorrow against Northwich Flixton a big local derby? Have most fans abandoned Victoria now to watch 1874 or do many still bother hacking over to Flixton?

Its certainly a shame that a club with such an evocative and recognisable name has fallen away, but I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow. I find it quite appropriate that this is the teams first season and it's my first year in Northwich!

Welcome to the fold. I'm sure you'll be made most welcome at games etc.

You don't really want to ignite all the old history do you?! Brief answers (my views, unofficial, etc) ...
Rivals? We'd like Witton to be rivals again, like in the good old days, but at the moment they are a couple of leagues above us. We'd like a friendly rivalry though this time round, I think. At the moment we are attendance rivals - our averages are exactly the same at the moment (337 I believe).
Rivals? NVFC? They are for most of us now pretty much an irrelevance. The bridges have been burnt and they have decamped to Flixton. This club grew out of disgruntlement with their mismanagement, but we have now I believe outgrown that genesis and are big enough to stand on our own two feet.
Flixton Villa has no history or tradition and is merely the second string plaything of the NVFC owner. Flixton is not local, so not a derby.
Most abandoned NVFC long before we were born. We are in the process of winning people back to the idea of supporting (or even owning) a local football team for its efforts on the pitch. NVFC officially averages about 150, but unofficial reports from away teams when they go (and photo evidence) put the actual figures much lower. But, as already stated, they are largely irrelevant, and the few who continue to go there have also burnt their bridges it seems.
Our focus is on developing a club with a community heart and with the fans at the centre, and on building all the burnt bridges back up again.

Enjoy the game. And don't forget to sample the pies.

I am ,very please you have decided to watch 1874,I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere around the ground.Most of the fans are ex Vics supporters,and I am sure I speak for most fans when I say we are enjoying our football more than we have for a number of years.For the first time we have a say in our club is run,I was a Vics supporter for over 60 years,and saw my club dragged down until I could no longer watch it being pulled through the mud.Maybe if you enjoy the experience on Tuesday you might like to become an owner.
The name Northwich Flixton Villa is a made up name by Mr Rushe and has nothing to do with Northwich.
It would be fair to say a lot of 1874 fans are ex Vics fans (you only have to look at the gates)
Hope you enjoy the match,

Hi Guys,

I'm curious about the attitudes of the local fans - are teams like Witton and Victora now considered rivals or is it all quite friendly?

In terms of 1874, the club,I think it's still a bit young to have any rivalry with Albion just yet. Of course the vast majority here will have been followers of Vics in the past so understandably there is a keen "interest" in the results of the team down at Wincham Park I'm sure. At this point I don't think Witton would see us as realistic rivals, although logically if there was only one successful team plying it's trade in the Mid-Cheshire it would be to their advantage financially, so I'd imagine they will at least be keeping a careful note of how we are doing.

Rivalry with Vics? Sadly it's probably more a case of animosity between some fans on either side of the fence, while other have just accepted that both clubs, for good or bad, have moved on and they've focused on their respective futures.

lawsio said:
Is the match tomorrow against Northwich Flixton a big local derby?

No, not really. Villa are an old James Rushe run club and some players do seem to be interchangeable between the two. So in that respect I think most 1874 fans would be keen to see them beaten tomorrow.

lawsio said:
Have most fans abandoned Victoria now to watch 1874 or do many still bother hacking over to Flixton?

Sadly for the old club, most of the fans have abandoned Vics. Some have backed the new club 1874, some wait in limbo until Vics life reaches what seems to be an inevitable conclusion and some have either washed their hands of both and watch their football elsewhere or not at all. Difficult to know what numbers "hack" over to Flixton, but probably no more than 100 would be a reasonable estimate.

lawsio said:
Its certainly a shame that a club with such an evocative and recognisable name has fallen away,

A shame indeed

Firstly it will be great to have you at the game, I like others watched the Vics for over 30 years.
I wouldn't say the game against NFV is a big local derby as they are likely to bring no support.
Just how well our new club has done is that we have the same average gate as Witton and we haven't had hardly any away fans visit yet and they are also a few leagues higher.
Hope you enjoy the night and hope to see you back for the league game on Saturday.

Feel free to find my at my programme shed next to the entrance, I can tell you everything you need to know, I even know all the results off by heart haha sad I know

Cheers for the messages guys ... sorry if my questions opened a can of worms! I find the (albeit very short) history of the club fascinating and I'm sure you don't need telling you've done a cracking job of getting so far so quickly. Being new up here I know very few people in the area so I'm sure I can find time down the line to chip in where needed, meet a few of you folks! :)

Maybe if you enjoy the experience on Tuesday you might like to become an owner.

I was having a look at this online ... apologies if the answer to this is right in front of me somewhere but what is the difference between Bronze and Silver membership? Is there such a thing as gold? Couldn't see much info other than the application form.

There is no Gold (yet?), and as for Silver v Bronze ... When you find out the answer to that one, can you let us know?!;)

The membership/ownership levels are to the best of my knowledge largely a legacy of the levels of membership of the old Northwich Victoria Supporters' Trust, out of which we have grown. In those days, Silver could be rewarded with certain match-day privileges/offers (until the stadium got taken away). I believe the Board are working on drawing up viable differences for the current membership, and we have discussed it on here in the past, but the best person to ask is Tony Fallows (the Board member responsible for membership) - or buttonhole any other Board member! Blame me when they moan.

Whatever differences are dreamt up, one thing will remain the same - each member/owner has an equal say in the running of the club, whether Silver or Bronze. At the moment the only real difference is in the level of financial commitment a person is prepared or able to give. Where else can you be your very own Roman Abramovitch for less than 20p a week?

Lawsio.

Alan is quite right in his explanation of the differences between Silver and Bronze membership in that it is largely a legacy of the old Supporters Trust.

I will be at the game tomorrow and would be delighted to meet you and have a chat.

Tony Fallows
Membership Secretary

At the moment to be a Trust member there are two different payments.First is £10 per month(£5 for a pensioner) or £10 per year(£5 for a pensioner)that's how I understand it,I'm sure Tony will correct me if I am wrong,I think the board are looking at this,but at the moment the first payment and second payment members get one vote each whichever payment you make.

Hi Guys,

I've recently moved to Northwich and will be coming down to my first 1874 match tomorrow night so thought I'd pop on here and say hello! I'm a Forest fan by birth but have been exiled in South Birmingham for the last few years where I had started to make quite regular trips down the M40 to watch Leamington after an initial 'day out' there with some friends. I've really enjoyed the non-league scene having been a recent newcomer to it so moving up here has left me with a search for a new local team to watch.

As an outsider, the fiasco with Victoria moving away had bypassed me so I was surprised to find the town so divided over local football. Every time I mentioned to people I was moving to Northwich the response was almost always ''As in...Northwich Victoria, Northwich?" so I thought it was a given everyone here was Vics fans! I'm curious about the attitudes of the local fans - are teams like Witton and Victora now considered rivals or is it all quite friendly? Is the match tomorrow against Northwich Flixton a big local derby? Have most fans abandoned Victoria now to watch 1874 or do many still bother hacking over to Flixton?

Its certainly a shame that a club with such an evocative and recognisable name has fallen away, but I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow. I find it quite appropriate that this is the teams first season and it's my first year in Northwich!

Hi

I have recently moved to Northwich, ok maybe two years now but I found myself in the same situation as yourself, I had heard of NVFC and maybe watched them once on the TV but I never went to a game. I was in town one day and I always walked past the NVFC shop wondering what happened to this team and this day I walked further up and noticed another shop further up but with a different strip in the window. I looked in the shop and got talking to the supporters there running the shop, I was asked if I wanted to come to their first proper game of the league, also my to kids were with me and they got given a badge each. That in itself made me think of this would be a good idea.

I went to the first game not expecting much as never had been to a non premiership game ( Anfield or Pittodrie) . I was wrong form the first kick off I saw a potential to do good. I loved it , I tried to get to as many games as possible and my son even became a ballboy and got my whole family to come too.

Since the New Year I have had health problems that has stopped me coming (most have been postponed anyway :scarf:) I am just getting over pneumonia and have a operation next month so either have to wait for heatwave or getting better but I am hoping to be there for the exciting end to a great first season, I am jealous you are able to go tomorrow nights game with NFV, I would of loved to go, Hope you enjoy it and good luck to all.

Hi Lawsio - I would echo the welcome(s) offered above and as well as talking to lots of good, friendly people at 1874 I would suggest you pop into the club shop at the ground ( if only to buy 1 or 2 of the excellent recently written books that chronicle the exploits of the "old football club"

Reactions: Tez
Welcome, Lawsio. It's great to see your interest in our history and at potentially becoming an owner. New fans are always welcome at this football club and I hope you're treated to an entertaining win for us tomorrow.

Hi Lawsio, How did you enjoy the match, please dont judge us on one game though, we sometimes have an off day but still get the result. We are still young as a football club but our potential is high, most times you go to a game and we play really well but once or twice we don't, Just look at our league position in our first season and that lets you know we have more good days than bad , just keep the faith and you will see 1874 do great things.

Don't worry, 8 years as a Forest season ticket holder during the reigns of Kinnear, Megson and Cotterill has left me immune to poor performances!! At least '74 won with a bad performance, something I'm not used to seeing!

Thought it was quite an entertaining game really, probably more so than the one sided whipping it perhaps should have been. As soon as I saw the size of the Flixton keeper I would have put money on him saving a penalty and a late winner is always the best way to win a game.

Hoping to be back on Saturday, got me and the Mrs a scarf each from the shop and purchased the '20 Years of Madness' book as suggested by Brian above (In fact, I was the fella who had to come back for a copy at full time if any of the club shop folk are on here!).

COYG!

Back