• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Favourite moment as a '74 fan so far?

Callum1874

Legend
Feb 16, 2014
As we are nearing the final promotion push, I was thinking back to the games I have watched 74 in this season. I've been fortunate enough to see a 100% win record in all their competitive games, although some haven't been too good for nerves haha!

So I was wondering; what's everyone's favourite moment of the clubs first season in football? Personally I have a couple:

• Seeing my first 1874 match, a friendly against Congleton which we won 1-0
  • Although not being there in person, seeing the updates to the clubs first competitive game and the attendance of 490, showing the vast amount of support our new club has
  • Mike Van Brandon's 93rd minute equaliser against Hanley Town in the Cup and the cheers and relief that followed from the 'green army'
  • Topping the league for a brief period and the growing momentum as the season is coming to an end (my twitter feed yesterday was full of tweets about yesterdays match and speculation about events in the future i.e. who will get promoted)
I'm obviously hoping to be able to add winning promotion to that list, however having a club to support run by the best fans has been brilliant and the team have far exceed my expectations for the first season!

Onwards and Upwards now and lets make sure that us the fans give Streety and the lads all the support they need in the last 11 games of the season! COYG! :scarf:

Comment below your favourite moments of watching the '74 both home and away!

Coming back from 2-0 to beat Hanley 4-2 is probably my favorite game so far. It's just so nice to be talking about football, and not about a clown from Manchester like we used to!

The tannoy announcement giving the 'gate' at the first game.
Conformation that all the soul searching and hard work of so many people had been worthwhile.
There was a future!

Good thread Callum!

Where to start? I've loved every minute (well pretty much!)

First game at Lostock, seeing nearly 400 people turn out to the very first game, many in green shirts and scarves. Awesome.

Supporters Direct Shield win. Incredible day and up there with the best cup wins with our Vics.

Hanley comeback. Worked hard and played well to get the result.

Squires Gate and Cammell Laird - underdogs do it!

Seeing Mike power the header in against Colls, roof off the stand job!!

Not bad considering we haven't been playing long. I know there's more to come...

I've not been to as many games as I would have liked due to work (12 league games out of 25 so far) but it has been a breath of fresh air watching 1874, NWCL football and not having to worry and talk about off-the-field issues. My two favourite moments as an 1874 fan would have to be the first game against Oldham Boro when the tannoy announced a 490 crowd, while the 4-2 comeback from two goals down against promotion rivals Hanley has to rate as the most entertaining game as a supporter of the club. I'm sure there are many exciting moments to look forward to in the very near future for OUR thriving club.

Been to as many games as I can (5 in all, always on the update forum when we play though ) next game planned is the last of the season and hopefully a promotion party

Favourite moment has to be when me and tarryn lead the team out, very proud of her, and van Brandon scoring to equalise was a class moment, it was truly OURS

I'd go for that first evening at Lostock - just seeing the number of people there, & the number wearing 1874 colours, and thinking this might just work.

The teams coming onto the pitch for the first league game v Oldham. Seeing the reality of what has been achieved since November 2012 with my own eyes. :scarf:

Off the field, getting the FCA and the FA to accept us as an entity, a living breathing football club, and proving a few nay sayers wrong in the process. Working with a brilliant team all pulling in the same direction (a refreshing change) and actually listening to peoples views and acting upon them. Being supported by the town, the council, Cheshire FA and the NWCL.
On the pitch, Adams goal against Cheadle when down to 10 men to get a valuable point, Mike's Bergkamp-esque goal against Squires Gate, and little Stevie Cranes pair of belters against Rochdale and Hanley.

Where to begin...

Its more than just football for me, it really started for me spending my summer holidays working in the 1874 club shop with Pam, Tony and others and getting 1874's name out there in to the community.

Getting to know people properly that were nothing more than just faces watching the old club, its been great so far, more than I ever expected if im honest.

Now on to the football side of things, the Lostock match, seeing nearly 500 people show up just for a friendly, now that was a good day for my programme sales!

The two comebacks against Hanley or the away game at Ashton Town or the unbeaten run before the Nelson away defeat.

I couldn't honestly say, I just enjoy it more and more each game!

Winning 3-2 at Daisy Hill - after a run of mainly draws we showed we knew how to win - Daisy Hill were the form team then !!!

Lovely sunny day and big turn out of Greens too - locals didnt know what to make of it :)

Back