• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Deja Vu v Cheating Linnets!!

Blackie

Too much time on my hands
Aug 5, 2013
Pretty much went same as last year.
We take the lead, have chances to increase but don't take them.
Mikey Whyte is allowed to referee the game (again!!), holds back Beadle with not even a free kick given, but Danny Thomas commits same offence and sees a yellow! o_O
Runcorn then continue their usual play acting at every opportunity (with sound effects!), get their customary dodgy penalty and we see a player sent off for the offence when no contact was actually made. :oops: Freddie Potter should receive a medal for his diving ability!!
Shows what you need to win this league, con your way to 3 points and get your players in the face off the ref as much as possible! :(
3 points thoroughly undeserved by Runcorn!

I truly hope that Colne need to beat us on the last day to win the league.....and we don't try too hard!!;)

Last edited:
Always the same, I guess we need to be nastier to win this league...often think we are too nice.

To be fair, if I was an1874 player I would be wondering how much effort I will be putting in on the last day.

While I sympathise, we have to take our chances. Much as I dislike Mikey White I would love to have him in our side (and have said so since his time at Formby), but I thought the referee was very weak today.
I am torn about Colne. Yes put out the youngsters to annoy Linnets - but I would prefer to see Colne next year to Linnets so go all out to beat Colne!!

No matter how we feel about the antic's of some of the Runcorn player's to-day,we must put our best side out and go for a win against Colne,to do anything less would be against the spirit of our club,and I'm sure Ian and the team will go all out to beat them.

I am available for the last game of the season....:p , Fred could play centre mid and it's about time Phil Lea and Chris W got a run out, been on the bench all season without even a sniff of getting on!! I would even give Vicki a starting place :D

Frustrated about todays game, its all been said above.. ref I thought was bullied (and succumbed to the constant 'advice' given by that lumbering bald git at the back)

Would love to see Colne go up, but that means we have to play that bunch of diving, cheating, whingers again next season

I thought we merited a point today but we didn't do enough in the second half. We sat back for the 1-0 win and it backfired - substitutions were also made too late. The moment they got their first goal, there was only going to be one winner. We missed Chappell in the midfield in the second half. It's easy to blame the officials, any supporter does when their team lose. I didn't think much of Linnets considering they're top of the league but they seem to find a way to win. I'd rather them go up than Colne.

I thought we merited a point today but we didn't do enough in the second half. We sat back for the 1-0 win and it backfired - substitutions were also made too late. The moment they got their first goal, there was only going to be one winner. We missed Chappell in the midfield in the second half. It's easy to blame the officials, any supporter does when their team lose. I didn't think much of Linnets considering they're top of the league but they seem to find a way to win. I'd rather them go up than Colne.
BIG BOOT

Good first half from our lads but a complete contrast in the second half - we just don't have those little bits of gamesmanship to see out a one-nil lead for that long.

The Linnets fans would have been baying for the referee's blood along that makeshift fence if he didn't give that penalty - wasn't sure from my angle but he couldn't wait for an excuse to give something.

Some excellent footballers in that Joey Dunn Linnets side - a team I've seen probably twenty times in last couple of years. There is a real 'win at all costs' mentality there and if they do go up then good luck to them. They will have got what they are so desperate for but they wont have made many friends along the way. They can really play some good stuff but it is disappointing when the histrionics come out. It's not as if we aren't aware of it - we're just a little naive sometimes.

I'm obviously not going to change anyone's mind on here so I'm not even gonna try!

Just came on to say that the penalty was a stone wall penalty, I was 6 yards away looking right at it and once Potter got behind the man there was always a risk. He scores if he isn't brought down. I did think you should of been given some free kicks that weren't given but you also committed so many niggly little fouls.

Also I thought you were excellent in the first half and should of put the game to bed with your chances and there would of been no reason to blame the ref for anything. And you have a super player in Ryan Jackson!

I think it's pretty harsh and difficult to read comments like "play our under 21's v Colne" etc. Our clubs are almost identical in every aspect, supporters have a great relationship and I love having a Runcorn v Northwich derby to look forward to every season. We are both fans run with a great supporter base and I want our rivalry to go through the leagues together. If we go up this year I will be rooting for you next year!

Agree with Ben's point on making subs too late, although the damage was already done being a man down by then. Seems to be a recurring theme regarding the late/no subs approach.

DT needs to reflect on his game today, both goals were of his making. Unless Farny had a knock I can't understand why Mitch and him didn't start like they have for the last 2-3 games. Consistency is key in my opinion.

Good first half, poor second half and the officials were terrible. How their 10 who shoved his head in Mitch's face didn't get booked i'll never know, along with a number of other clear fouls not given.

Runcorn are effective at what they do but their players don't win many fans or plaudit along the way in the manner in which they win games.

For me, I would rather Linnets stay in this league and Colne go up, simply for the reason that I enjoy the games against Linnets more, always have something to talk about afterwards!

As much as I dislike Linnets and their blatant cheating ways which they antagonise the ref, I do envy their "do anything to win" attitude slightly. I wish we could develop that maybe not in ways they do but for me we lack winners in our team and won't be challenging for the league any time soon.

Today, the ref was weak and Mikey White did basically ref the game but we brought it on ourselves. You could see what was going to happen but our players lack the mindset and have too much naivety to see it through. We just didn't want it enough today and as much as I agree with some of the choice words about the ref, overall we were very poor.

In terms of our team, again it's evident that we have no midfield, we just pass them by or they aren't good enough. Chappell was heavily missed when he went off and again Wooley was poor, for me he simply isn't good enough especially as captain and hasn't been for a long time. Think it's the main area we need to look at.

We do have a lot of positives going forward for me Hall, Connor, Chappell, Edwards and Beadle are a great spine with Jackson having a lot of potential and on our day we can beat anyone but with us it's down to attitude and when we want it we're unplayable as shown on Monday.

Finally, I thought Linnets were very poor and the atmosphere today was worse. I'd like to see Colne go up as I'm still bitter about last season when they got Wardy & Chappell sent off plus Colne's fans are much better with their singing.

For me you can't play George and Woolley in the midfield together they are to similar when chappie went of I would have liked to see DT pushed into midfield

Blimey, you don't seem to like Linnets or 1874! Maybe better if you stay at home next time to save yourself any upset or anger!

To say you were very poor overall is either post match dissapointment or lack of footballing knowledge, because you were excellent 1st half and should of been 3 up.

Back