• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Damien Departure

I think that we can all agree that 2023/4 has been a complete car crash of a season for 1874. It’s no good now arguing about what went wrong and who is to blame. It is what is is and we now need to look forward and not backwards

I’m not being defeatist, but it would be a miracle if we should somehow escape being relegated. That said, I have every confidence that Matt and Mark will give it their best shot starting with the game against City of Liverpool on Saturday. I know like the rest of us that they both have the best interests of the club in their heart and that they will do their level best until the end of the season no matter what the outcome

I read that some think the board should now act quickly and seek to appoint a new manager as soon as possible to replace Damien (who incidentally did his best but was too inexperienced in my view to deal with the difficult situation facing the club on the field). My view (and I accept that some might disagree) is that the Board should now decide to plan for the future even if that means sticking with Matt & Mark in charge of team affairs until the end of the season. This will give the board time enough to carefully consider the next managerial appointment, a decision that will much depend on the final outcome of this season

I have heard it rumoured that the NWCL might be restructured into a prem North & South and so it is by no means certain that we will be allocated to the Midlands league if that were to happen. I suppose we shall all have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season if we end up being relegated which realistically on current form looks likely

One thing is for sure is that the board must appoint an experienced manager who will be capable of rebuilding an already depleted and inexperienced squad that is very low on confidence. This will not be an easy job and I don’t envy any new manager taking on the job. He will need to attract better quality players to the club whilst stlll keeping within the budget and that is going to be difficult as we all know that other clubs, even in the NWCL, are signing on players for ridiculous money way outside our budget.

There is no easy solution to our current problems on the pitch except that we need to get back to basics, try our best both on and off the pitch and to look forward to a brighter future for the club that we all love and support

Up tge 74!
Hear, hear Gary👍

Looking from the outside I genuinely think appointing a manager before the end of the season isn't going to save you.
You have 12 games left minus 3 or 4 before a decision is made. It will take a few games more for the new manager to bed his players and ideas in ,which in games left is a luxury you don't have.

I truly believe you need to put faith in your interim management team and hope your current squad of players can respond accordingly. Stranger things have happened in football.

In my opinion appoint a manager in the summer and allow him the time to recruit who they deem fit and work over the pre season and prepare for whatever league you are in.
Whatever happens during the rest of the season, I’m looking forward is denying our Old Boys XI Play Off chances on April Fools Day!😉😳💚🖤💚🖤

I keep hearing how important is to get a Manager in quickly, in my opinion what’s important is to get the right Manager in.
Any interview is a two way process.
The club should lay out specific targets with short and medium targets, but be realistic.
These then are the measurable’s.
Whether that is staying in a league
The position it finishes
The points tally
Home attendance’s - we all know that winning is important but so is attractive football. Showing pride and passion
FA cup round target
Etc etc

I might be wrong but going into a club with what will be less than 12 games left and in the position it’s in isn’t currently isn’t an attractive position.

Start the process yes so the Manager has the whole of the pre season to prepare with meaning full pre season friendlies

So come that first game we hit the ground running often the FA cup

That’s my humble opinion for what it’s worth

I'd disagree, think a new man with contacts and players can come in and rejuvenate the team. IT just has to be the right one based on what may happen end of the season. Ultimately the reward is theirs, keep us up and your in the NPL, take us down and rebuild from now!
No experienced manager in their right mind would take us on at this stage of the season imo, there just isn't enough time to get anything different to work now imo so we just have to go with what we have and hope for a miracle

No experienced manager in their right mind would take us on at this stage of the season imo, there just isn't enough time to get anything different to work now imo so we just have to go with what we have and hope for a miracle
I’ve always said that in any walk of life it’s better to be in a job than seeking a job.

And there is always a pool of ex managers out there seeking re-employment or someone looking for their first post.

But as we saw with Damian, there are risks to the latter option.

Well I have to say that for a number of reasons your managerial news passed me by, but reading through the thread a number of key points emerge

1) The NPL is a ruthless league. There are a lot of teams with experience of where they are, what's needed to stay there, experienced back room staff and more money. If you have it, they will fight to take it from you
2)A bad start to the season is a nightmare to get past, it results in season being over by September and the battle gets steadily harder
3) Good players get poached - fact of life. Its the way life works. Money talks and the promise of being at the top of the league not the bottom is a drug that footballers crave
4) In-fighting solves nothing. There is no shopping list of available salvations to chose from. The options are hard work, hard work, hard work with no guaranteed outcome
5) Not withstanding 4) and possible successful outcome, relegation i s a learning experience (god how I hate that phrase, its like your work boss's worst put down) but unfortunately it is true. Analysis of what went wrong and why provides a bitter experience and motivation not to do it again
6) Realisation is a very calming attribute. When you realise you are in the mire and why, you can start to think about what you need to do and then also realise you don't have the tools to do what you need to - or maybe you have
7) Building a club needs more than 250 people. It needs identify, vision, stamina and a will to succeed - and a sustainable business model (see other threads)
8) Its not over yet. It needs calm and back to point 4). Everyone knows what needs to be done, but you have to put trust where it deserves to lay and then back to 4)
9) Enjoy the battle !

Well I have to say that for a number of reasons your managerial news passed me by, but reading through the thread a number of key points emerge

1) The NPL is a ruthless league. There are a lot of teams with experience of where they are, what's needed to stay there, experienced back room staff and more money. If you have it, they will fight to take it from you
2)A bad start to the season is a nightmare to get past, it results in season being over by September and the battle gets steadily harder
3) Good players get poached - fact of life. Its the way life works. Money talks and the promise of being at the top of the league not the bottom is a drug that footballers crave
4) In-fighting solves nothing. There is no shopping list of available salvations to chose from. The options are hard work, hard work, hard work with no guaranteed outcome
5) Not withstanding 4) and possible successful outcome, relegation i s a learning experience (god how I hate that phrase, its like your work boss's worst put down) but unfortunately it is true. Analysis of what went wrong and why provides a bitter experience and motivation not to do it again
6) Realisation is a very calming attribute. When you realise you are in the mire and why, you can start to think about what you need to do and then also realise you don't have the tools to do what you need to - or maybe you have
7) Building a club needs more than 250 people. It needs identify, vision, stamina and a will to succeed - and a sustainable business model (see other threads)
8) Its not over yet. It needs calm and back to point 4). Everyone knows what needs to be done, but you have to put trust where it deserves to lay and then back to 4)
9) Enjoy the battle !
“Analysis of what went wrong and why provides a bitter experience and motivation not to do it again.”

You talking about Brexit Knutsfordian? 😉😂

Back