• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Damien Departure

A lot of clubs at this level have the same constraints but manage to improve and we don’t.
Dave - how many away games have you been to? The majority of clubs that we are competing against are from towns that have one club (not 3 😳)!and are therefore better placed to get sponsors than we probably are. Others - such as Linnets and Widnes have far more sympathetic local authorities who are more willing to support them than CWaC are us. Almost every club has a bar function room which generates significant incomes and quite a number recieve significant funds from key benefactors (much of the impressive ground improvements at Chasetown have been funded by their main sponsor (a civil engineering firm)

So that’s the sort of task we face!

I think it’s unfair to say that the reason we are in the situation we are is solely down to budget constraints - there is also an additional pot of money in boost the budget, which I would suggest has not been used in its entirety due to lots of players recently being brought in through loan deals.

It would appear that it is tricky to convince players to come and play for a side that are propping the rest of the division up. There is also the factor that we have used the same area and pool of players for the last 7/8 years.

One thing that might need to be looked at is changing our training base in order to attract a different pool of players to the club. If we do eventually get relegated to the midlands, my opinion is that we should be looking to train somewhere like Crewe or Alsager, perhaps one of the two sessions a week. It appears through the boards notes that they are very aware of the situation regarding tapping into new talent pools, which was promising to read.

It was also encouraging that the board are reviewing the short and long term objectives - there is a lot of discussion on this site alone about decisions made / the boards strategy moving forward.

When these objectives are made available to members, I do think it is in the best interests of the football club to have an open meeting between the board and the fans, so the board can sell and explain this to the membership, and the membership have their chance to pass over their views in turn. The beauty of our football club is there is not one person in charge, and that members views have to be taken into account, listened to, and where appropriate, acted on.

For now though, there are 12 games of the season to go, and instead of mud slinging against each other on this forum, helping to support the team and this club would probably be more productive use of time and energy, starting with Saturday against CoL.

I think that we can all agree that 2023/4 has been a complete car crash of a season for 1874. It’s no good now arguing about what went wrong and who is to blame. It is what is is and we now need to look forward and not backwards

I’m not being defeatist, but it would be a miracle if we should somehow escape being relegated. That said, I have every confidence that Matt and Mark will give it their best shot starting with the game against City of Liverpool on Saturday. I know like the rest of us that they both have the best interests of the club in their heart and that they will do their level best until the end of the season no matter what the outcome

I read that some think the board should now act quickly and seek to appoint a new manager as soon as possible to replace Damien (who incidentally did his best but was too inexperienced in my view to deal with the difficult situation facing the club on the field). My view (and I accept that some might disagree) is that the Board should now decide to plan for the future even if that means sticking with Matt & Mark in charge of team affairs until the end of the season. This will give the board time enough to carefully consider the next managerial appointment, a decision that will much depend on the final outcome of this season

I have heard it rumoured that the NWCL might be restructured into a prem North & South and so it is by no means certain that we will be allocated to the Midlands league if that were to happen. I suppose we shall all have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season if we end up being relegated which realistically on current form looks likely

One thing is for sure is that the board must appoint an experienced manager who will be capable of rebuilding an already depleted and inexperienced squad that is very low on confidence. This will not be an easy job and I don’t envy any new manager taking on the job. He will need to attract better quality players to the club whilst stlll keeping within the budget and that is going to be difficult as we all know that other clubs, even in the NWCL, are signing on players for ridiculous money way outside our budget.

There is no easy solution to our current problems on the pitch except that we need to get back to basics, try our best both on and off the pitch and to look forward to a brighter future for the club that we all love and support

Up tge 74!

Last edited:
but it would be a miracle if we should somehow escape being relegated.

Win our game in hand and beat Hednesford at home and we would be goal difference away from being in a safe position.

On paper we're nowhere near down yet. On the pitch though it looks like we've lost before we've even kicked off - and that has to change.

There must be someone we can bring in to have a good go at keeping us up, but also be prepared to build with us if we drop into whichever league. I think act now or we might live to regret it. Matthew and Jonah tried their best last time, but no players are going to join a club at the bottom of the league with temporary player / managers. We need someone who can bring in players asap to support what we already have.

Win our game in hand and beat Hednesford at home and we would be goal difference away from being in a safe position.

On paper we're nowhere near down yet. On the pitch though it looks like we've lost before we've even kicked off - and that has to change.
I did comment that it looks likely that we are going to be relegated based upon our current form.

I agree that it is never over until the fat lady sings and let’s hope that Matt & Mark can somehow galvanise the team to start winning. It will be a tough task from what I have seen so far this season, but we can all live in hope. It would need a complete turn around in form if we are to have a chance to avoid relegation, but I have every confidence in both Matt and Mark and that they will do what they can to get the best out of players that they still have at their disposal until the end of the season.

All we can do is give our full support to the club and the players on the pitch no matter what the outcome

There must be someone we can bring in to have a good go at keeping us up, but also be prepared to build with us if we drop into whichever league. I think act now or we might live to regret it. Matthew and Jonah tried their best last time, but no players are going to join a club at the bottom of the league with temporary player / managers. We need someone who can bring in players asap to support what we already have.
I think it will now be hard for the club to appoint a new manager with only 12 games remaining. It will also be hard for a new manager to attract new and better quality players to the club in our current situation

My guess is that the board is now planning for the future and will look to appoint a new manager to take over at the end of the season. The reason why I say that is because frankly I doubt that any new manager taking over now would do any better than both Matt and Mark in trying to turn around our current form with the current crop of players that they still have at their disposal.

I do agree, however, that the board should now make clear their intentions as soon a possible as to whether or not they are looking to appoint a new manager before the end of the season.

I think it will now be hard for the club to appoint a new manager with only 12 games remaining. It will also be hard for a new manager to attract new and better quality players to the club in our current situation

My guess is that the board is now planning for the future and will look to appoint a new manager to take over at the end of the season. The reason why I say that is because frankly I doubt that any new manager taking over now would do any better than both Matt and Mark in trying to turn around our current form with the current crop of players that they still have at their disposal.

I do agree, however, that the board should now make clear their intentions as soon a possible as to whether or not they are looking to appoint a new manager before the end of the season.
I'd disagree, think a new man with contacts and players can come in and rejuvenate the team. IT just has to be the right one based on what may happen end of the season. Ultimately the reward is theirs, keep us up and your in the NPL, take us down and rebuild from now!

I'd disagree, think a new man with contacts and players can come in and rejuvenate the team. IT just has to be the right one based on what may happen end of the season. Ultimately the reward is theirs, keep us up and your in the NPL, take us down and rebuild from now!
The Board will have to act quickly if they intend to appoint a new manager. It can’t take as long as 3 weeks as it did when they appointed Damien to the job. Maybe they need to make an approach to somebody who they already know is available to take over at short notice. I still think that it will now be difficult to now bring in an experienced manager with the right credentials at this stage of the season and because of our current predicament. However, I would now call upon the board to make clear their intentions as soon as possible, as so far they have not yet made it known as to whether or not they are now looking to appoint a new manager before the end of the season.

I think that we can all agree that 2023/4 has been a complete car crash of a season for 1874. It’s no good now arguing about what went wrong and who is to blame. It is what is is and we now need to look forward and not backwards

I’m not being defeatist, but it would be a miracle if we should somehow escape being relegated. That said, I have every confidence that Matt and Mark will give it their best shot starting with the game against City of Liverpool on Saturday. I know like the rest of us that they both have the best interests of the club in their heart and that they will do their level best until the end of the season no matter what the outcome

I read that some think the board should now act quickly and seek to appoint a new manager as soon as possible to replace Damien (who incidentally did his best but was too inexperienced in my view to deal with the difficult situation facing the club on the field). My view (and I accept that some might disagree) is that the Board should now decide to plan for the future even if that means sticking with Matt & Mark in charge of team affairs until the end of the season. This will give the board time enough to carefully consider the next managerial appointment, a decision that will much depend on the final outcome of this season

I have heard it rumoured that the NWCL might be restructured into a prem North & South and so it is by no means certain that we will be allocated to the Midlands league if that were to happen. I suppose we shall all have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season if we end up being relegated which realistically on current form looks likely

One thing is for sure is that the board must appoint an experienced manager who will be capable of rebuilding an already depleted and inexperienced squad that is very low on confidence. This will not be an easy job and I don’t envy any new manager taking on the job. He will need to attract better quality players to the club whilst stlll keeping within the budget and that is going to be difficult as we all know that other clubs, even in the NWCL, are signing on players for ridiculous money way outside our budget.

There is no easy solution to our current problems on the pitch except that we need to get back to basics, try our best both on and off the pitch and to look forward to a brighter future for the club that we all love and support

Up tge 74!
Way too much common sense being posted here Halvo 👌💚🖤

The Board will have to act quickly if they intend to appoint a new manager. It can’t take as long as 3 weeks as it did when they appointed Damien to the job. Maybe they need to make an approach to somebody who they already know is available to take over at short notice. I still think that it will now be difficult to now bring in an experienced manager with the right credentials at this stage of the season and because of our current predicament. However, I would now call upon the board to make clear their intentions as soon as possible, as so far they have not yet made it known as to whether or not they are now looking to appoint a new manager before the end of the season.
I think the statement they emailed out suggested they would expand on details asap.

Yes, I am aware of the Board statement and I can well understand that they need to consider carefully all our options for the good of the club going forward. All I am saying is that hopefully the Board will not delay too long in making clear to us all as to what needs to be done, both for the short and medium term. Some might agree and some might disagree with whatever decisions are taken by the board but it will be for the right reasons as that see it, as long as it is clearly explained to the fanbase and sooner the better in the view of the current situation.

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware of the Board statement and I can well understand that they need to consider carefully all our options for the good of the club going forward. All I am saying is that hopefully the Board will not delay too long in making clear to us all as to what needs to be done, both for the short and medium term. Some might agree and some might disagree with whatever decisions are taken by the board but it will be for the right reasons as that see it, as long as it is clearly explained to the fanbase and sooner the better in the view of the current situation.
No disagreement with that.

Looking from the outside I genuinely think appointing a manager before the end of the season isn't going to save you.
You have 12 games left minus 3 or 4 before a decision is made. It will take a few games more for the new manager to bed his players and ideas in ,which in games left is a luxury you don't have.

I truly believe you need to put faith in your interim management team and hope your current squad of players can respond accordingly. Stranger things have happened in football.

In my opinion appoint a manager in the summer and allow him the time to recruit who they deem fit and work over the pre season and prepare for whatever league you are in.

Given we don’t have any midwk for a while a decision could be made in a week! If we can get a manager who has players ready then in a week we could be up and running.

Given we don’t have any midwk for a while a decision could be made in a week! If we can get a manager who has players ready then in a week we could be up and running.
Why rush that decision though, doesn't make sense to me.
Unfortunately having a manager and players in place never happens like that.

I think it’s unfair to say that the reason we are in the situation we are is solely down to budget constraints - there is also an additional pot of money in boost the budget, which I would suggest has not been used in its entirety due to lots of players recently being brought in through loan deals.

It would appear that it is tricky to convince players to come and play for a side that are propping the rest of the division up. There is also the factor that we have used the same area and pool of players for the last 7/8 years.

One thing that might need to be looked at is changing our training base in order to attract a different pool of players to the club. If we do eventually get relegated to the midlands, my opinion is that we should be looking to train somewhere like Crewe or Alsager, perhaps one of the two sessions a week. It appears through the boards notes that they are very aware of the situation regarding tapping into new talent pools, which was promising to read.

It was also encouraging that the board are reviewing the short and long term objectives - there is a lot of discussion on this site alone about decisions made / the boards strategy moving forward.

When these objectives are made available to members, I do think it is in the best interests of the football club to have an open meeting between the board and the fans, so the board can sell and explain this to the membership, and the membership have their chance to pass over their views in turn. The beauty of our football club is there is not one person in charge, and that members views have to be taken into account, listened to, and where appropriate, acted on.

For now though, there are 12 games of the season to go, and instead of mud slinging against each other on this forum, helping to support the team and this club would probably be more productive use of time and energy, starting with Saturday against CoL.
An excellent post Cal with some really great suggestions, particularly relation to the long term direction of the club👍💚🖤💚🖤

Back