• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Damien Departure

Ever thought that the players just weren't there to replace anyone??, we've been incredibly lucky over the years that our managers have managed to find some absolute gems but common sense says that that isn't always going to be possible especially with the likes of Macc and a few others introducing stupid amounts of money to this level of football which has given players massive egos because now they have a monetary value that wasn't there before and we as a club don't have the financial budget for that situation

Every other club doesn’t seem to have issues bringing in players. So they’re out there. In fact, we know they’re out there, how many players did Gobo bring in, they looked good, and then sat in the bench for a month before leaving again?

The budget argument is a fair one. We do have one of the lower budgets in this league. But plenty of teams with similar budgets are doing far better than we are.

I find it quite defeatist to accept mediocrity due to budget constraints. It’s that sort of mentality that seemed to dish up negative football for 2 years, which in turn drove gates down and the budget downer further.

Ever thought that the players just weren't there to replace anyone??, we've been incredibly lucky over the years that our managers have managed to find some absolute gems but common sense says that that isn't always going to be possible especially with the likes of Macc and a few others introducing stupid amounts of money to this level of football which has given players massive egos because now they have a monetary value that wasn't there before and we as a club don't have the financial budget for that situation
With due respect the quality of football at NPL is far higher and as I've said money talks .
To get the quality of player required at this level to be successful comes at a price.

T

Those two things just don't go together in the real world, you cant rush something and expect it to be done properly
We took our time last time and it didn’t work out. Given our situation I’d imagine efficiency is key motivation for the board.

Knowing what's going to happen before it does would be great but it would also require the skill of being psychic.....
That’s not what I said re read the post I talked about after the event not before.
Doing something right before the event comes from experience and a lot of luck.

Every other club doesn’t seem to have issues bringing in players. So they’re out there. In fact, we know they’re out there, how many players did Gobo bring in, they looked good, and then sat in the bench for a month before leaving again?

The budget argument is a fair one. We do have one of the lower budgets in this league. But plenty of teams with similar budgets are doing far better than we are.

I find it quite defeatist to accept mediocrity due to budget constraints. It’s that sort of mentality that seemed to dish up negative football for 2 years, which in turn drove gates down and the budget downer further.
You call it defeatist
I call it realism

Either way it has a huge impact on why we are where we are and nothing is going to change regardless of what league we're in, if we want to compete as high as we possibly can then we're going to have to find a way to significantly higher the playing budget it's as simple as that

Last edited:
With due respect the quality of football at NPL is far higher and as I've said money talks .
To get the quality of player required at this level to be successful comes at a price.
I agree that's what I was saying, to get the right players at this level often means paying for them

We cannot go back to a single owner model. We need to pay more as owners I suggest £100 per year, less than people pay for Amazon or Netflix. Additionally we need to improve the sponsorship to bring in money. But ultimately it’s about gates and we have an aging supporter base and we need younger supporters.

We took our time last time and it didn’t work out. Given our situation I’d imagine efficiency is key motivation for the board.
We didn't take our time at all in fact Damien was hired extremely quickly and imo far too quickly as Jonah & Woolley should have been given until the end of this season because we're very likely going down regardless of what we do, I was and still am of the belief that Bow and Goodie should have been given until the end of the season regardless of the outcome (I personally think they could have kept us up but we'll never know!) because Damien was always on a hiding to nothing coming in at this stage of the season as was any other manager

We cannot go back to a single owner model. We need to pay more as owners I suggest £100 per year, less than people pay for Amazon or Netflix. Additionally we need to improve the sponsorship to bring in money. But ultimately it’s about gates and we have an aging supporter base and we need younger supporters.
We need winning football it's as simple as that, football fans are fickle people and often only show up when things are good

We didn't take our time at all in fact Damien was hired extremely quickly and imo far too quickly as Jonah & Woolley should have been given until the end of this season because we're very likely going down regardless of what we do, I was and still am of the belief that Bow and Goodie should have been given until the end of the season regardless of the outcome (I personally think they could have kept us up but we'll never know!) because Damien was always on a hiding to nothing coming in at this stage of the season as was any other manager
Think that’s very naive Josh. We need a new manager and fast. The Damian appointment took over three weeks! We haven’t got that time this time.

Think that’s very naive Josh. We need a new manager and fast. The Damian appointment took over three weeks! We haven’t got that time this time.

If we want to try and stay in this league, I agree. And if there’s a chance of receiving a reprieve if we finish 19th, then that should absolutely be the priority, in my opinion.

However, if the board wish to accept relegation, and focus 100% on next season, then there really there is no rush.

If we want to try and stay in this league, I agree. And if there’s a chance of receiving a reprieve if we finish 19th, then that should absolutely be the priority, in my opinion.

However, if the board wish to accept relegation, and focus 100% on next season, then there really there is no rush.
Surely blindly allowing relegation isn’t acceptable to any of us including the board.

It’s not the boards decision to accept relegation it’s the members we are not a dictatorship.

I was and still am of the belief that Bow and Goodie should have been given until the end of the season regardless of the outcome
Like we did last season? Should we have then given them another season if they kept us up? Then been in the same position again, and then rinse and repeat…

Last edited:
We could hire a new manager tomorrow and it won't make any difference because they're still working under the same constraints

Like we did last season? Should we have then given them another season if they kept us up? Then been in the same position again, and then rinse and repeat…
Yes, because they have done enough for us over the years to deserve that respect and there isn't another manager/nanagers probably anywhere that could do anything different with the budget we have, whether people choose to believe it or not money equals successful nowadays

Yes, because they have done enough for us over the years to deserve that respect and there isn't another manager/nanagers probably anywhere that could do anything different with the budget we have, whether people choose to believe it or not money equals successful nowadays
This whole “small budget”argument again? I’m sure we’re not the only team in this league with budget constraints. It’s a cop out excuse. If the budget was used correctly we could have recruited players easily good enough for this league at the start of the season.

Let’s not forget, they walked. They didn’t get sacked, not did they get asked to leave by the board as far as we’re aware.

When managers do that, they no longer have the confidence they have what it takes to turn things around.

Anyway, here’s to hoping Matt/Jonah can steady us a bit and show some fight the remaining games. At this point, they should have no fear in changing things tactically and playing squad wise to bring in what we/they need - let’s go for it now and try and go at teams, something they won’t be expecting us to do.

Back