• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Damien Departure

For what its worth its my view the form in the second half of last season was evidence enough that the previous management team had run its course. Yes we were losing players for a variety of reasons and replacing them was difficult. My issue was the never changing 1 dimensional tactics coupled with the refusal to entertain a plan B when games were going against us. For me we should have changed in the summer.

The decision to appoint an inexperienced manager months into a season that was fast getting past the point of no return was a massive gamble. The situation cried out for an experienced head, I'm sure Damian did his best but in reality was on a hiding to nothing and I hope he is able to bounce back somewhere else in the near future.

For me the board made a couple of poor decisions but sat in my armchair hindsight is a wonderful thing. For all the good things achieved in the past few years they certainly retain my full support. What we need now is all to pull together and regroup for next season. And for what remains of our current spell at this level give both the board and OUR team full support.

That being said I apologise in advance for not being able to attend this Saturday, already have my ticket for Castleford vs Wigan. I'll fetch my coat!

I do wish the best of luck to Damian and thank him for his commitment under difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately the timing of his appointment wasn’t right for both club & Damian although that doesn’t mean he was a bad manager, I hope his next club he can settle down & build his reputation.

As for 1874 the board needs to make the right appointment with next season in mind, obviously our league situation speaks for itself with relegation more then likely a certainly at this stage so we need to find the right manager who can rebuild this team & has the commitment to manage down in the midlands league.

For what its worth its my view the form in the second half of last season was evidence enough that the previous management team had run its course. Yes we were losing players for a variety of reasons and replacing them was difficult. My issue was the never changing 1 dimensional tactics coupled with the refusal to entertain a plan B when games were going against us. For me we should have changed in the summer.

The decision to appoint an inexperienced manager months into a season that was fast getting past the point of no return was a massive gamble. The situation cried out for an experienced head, I'm sure Damian did his best but in reality was on a hiding to nothing and I hope he is able to bounce back somewhere else in the near future.

For me the board made a couple of poor decisions but sat in my armchair hindsight is a wonderful thing. For all the good things achieved in the past few years they certainly retain my full support. What we need now is all to pull together and regroup for next season. And for what remains of our current spell at this level give both the board and OUR team full support.

That being said I apologise in advance for not being able to attend this Saturday, already have my ticket for Castleford vs Wigan. I'll fetch my coat!
Will you please refrain from posting sensible comments Steve! 😉😂

James
the previous managers failed because we can’t compete financially is your argument, but we don’t have the money because
1. We are losing so crowds are lower
2. We get knocked out of all cup competitions in the first round so no prize money.
3. We as member get our membership too cheap.
Dave

So the options are
1 increase the budget in the hope we start winnng and gates / income increase. As we know only too well with our experiences with Vics, this is an option fraught with risk.
2 That’s the problem with cup competitions. You can get knocked out! 4 away draws on the spin hasn’t helped us in this respect (although we were bloody awful at Ossett)
3 We’ve just had a robust and open debate at the last AGM re Membership fees. I’m sure that had you put forward a proposal / motion in accordance with the club’s rules it would have been welcomed, debated and, you never know, if accepted, adopted as club policy. FYI the next AGM won’t be until next November so you’ve got plenty of time to formulate and finesse any ideas you may have in relation to this issue and submit a motion for the membership to consider

I just hope the board react fast. There is still time to save the season, for that we need a new man in the door quickly but he has to be the right one, know what the clubs about and has similar values, can bring in players ready to go as well as improving us gradually wherever we end up for next season.

Hopefully the process can be quickened and have learnt lessons to help from the last time round.

Dave

So the options are
1 increase the budget in the hope we start winnng and gates / income increase. As we know only too well with our experiences with Vics, this is an option fraught with risk.
2 That’s the problem with cup competitions. You can get knocked out! 4 away draws on the spin hasn’t helped us in this respect (although we were bloody awful at Ossett)
3 We’ve just had a robust and open debate at the last AGM re Membership fees. I’m sure that had you put forward a proposal / motion in accordance with the club’s rules it would have been welcomed, debated and, you never know, if accepted, adopted as club policy. FYI the next AGM won’t be until next November so you’ve got plenty of time to formulate and finesse any ideas you may have in relation to this issue and submit a motion for the membership to consider
James
Where did I say increase the budget my comments were that lack of finance was a circular problem, I.e. lower gates due to poor performance and playing style, and lack of prize money due to awful results in cup games.

The silly thing is that there are reprieves going and it's 90% certain that the 19th placed team in our division will get it. We're not that far behind on the table, but given what we've seen on the pitch we're a million miles off.

I really hope that Jonah and Woolley give it a go. We're going to need something different though!

The silly thing is that there are reprieves going and it's 90% certain that the 19th placed team in our division will get it. We're not that far behind on the table, but given what we've seen on the pitch we're a million miles off.

I really hope that Jonah and Woolley give it a go. We're going to need something different though!
its unfair to label it on jonah and Matthew, we need them concentrating on playing. We need someone who can come in and boost the squad straight away but is also prepared for what comes next if we're not successful in our plight to stay up

its unfair to label it on jonah and Matthew, we need them concentrating on playing. We need someone who can come in and boost the squad straight away but is also prepared for what comes next if we're not successful in our plight to stay up
They were offered it and accepted it. It's a logical step to take otherwise we'd have no-one in charge.
They understand the club, they've played for us for years.
If anyone is going to get what's required to keep us at his level, it's them.

Sinking ship? Says a fan of a side that’s been largely beached over the last 30 years! The odd favourable tide has carried you back to the NPL Premier for a few years before another storm has cast you back into the sea of mediocrity!😉😂😂
Favourable tide...a reprieve from relegation to go with your 2 default promotions. 😉😂

Are we going to get any clarification on who will be stepping in on Saturday and plans for the rest of the season?

I think there’s too much of accepting what happens rather than trying to avoid them or finding a fix. We are first and foremost a football club and secondly a fans owned football club. I love our model but we have to create a winning mentality.
Knowing what's going to happen before it does would be great but it would also require the skill of being psychic.....

Last edited:
Because the football was crap we finished one point above The relegation zone why was kennzie not replaced

Again replaced with crap

Pre season was awful remember going to ossett in the fa cup the talk on bus was not how we looking forward to season by how many are going to beaten by

Again never replaced
Ever thought that the players just weren't there to replace anyone??, we've been incredibly lucky over the years that our managers have managed to find some absolute gems but common sense says that that isn't always going to be possible especially with the likes of Macc and a few others introducing stupid amounts of money to this level of football which has given players massive egos because now they have a monetary value that wasn't there before and we as a club don't have the financial budget for that situation

T
I just hope the board react fast. There is still time to save the season, for that we need a new man in the door quickly but he has to be the right one, know what the clubs about and has similar values, can bring in players ready to go as well as improving us gradually wherever we end up for next season.

Hopefully the process can be quickened and have learnt lessons to help from the last time round.
Those two things just don't go together in the real world, you cant rush something and expect it to be done properly

Back